It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2004, 10:30 AM   #1

lannen HB User
Treatment for Anxiety (not medication)

Hello. I'm a long time lurker, and have posted only a couple times. I would like to know if anyone has tried any anti-anxiety programs, books, cognitive therapy, etc? I have just purchased Lucinda Bassett's Attacking Anxiety & Depression Program. Anyone tried it? I got it on Ebay for much cheaper than it's sold for thru the Midwest Center for Stress & Anxiety.
If it's garbage don't tell me, I feel that it's possibly my last hope to being my "old self" again. I am just so tired of feeling crappy, yet I am not ready to give up trying.
I would love to know what your experiences at trying to beat this have been, other than medications. And do you feel like anxiety is something that can be kicked once and for all?

Thanks,
Laura

Old 08-23-2004, 01:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Treatment for Anxiety (not medication)

from what Ive heard her program is helpful, however all these programs are more difficult without meds, IMO but try if you like

you must be prepared to learn and to change your way of coping with stress, some are too stubborn to learn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2004, 02:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Treatment for Anxiety (not medication)

I agree with hry33.

The key lies within you and for you to be willing to recognise the thoughts that lead you to behaviours that you don't like. With that you make change and hopefully to a direction in being your "old self".

But think about this.....the "old self" sometimes is a fantasy, without the baggage that's been accumulated. How about the "new self", one that's lived through it all and starting new. Why go back, that's where all the problems are? Anxiety is fear of the future, no wonder we hang on to the "old" safe us. If it was really examined, the old self really doesn't exist.

If your behaviours aren't too intrusive then you might want to adjust them into an area where you're more accepting of you (and others).

It's not black/white, either/or, all/nothing. There's a lot of accepting though the process, and that's what many people have a problem with.

The old saying, change what you can, accept what you can't holds true.

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 08-23-2004 at 02:12 PM.

Closed Thread