It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2004, 08:06 AM   #1
(male)

Regular Guy HB User
Zoloft?

Didnt know this section existed, also posted in depression.

My primary doc wants to start me on zoloft, he offered it like offering candy. During a routine physical I told him I feel anxious and nervous at times and sometimes a bit depressed. I dont hink its any worse than any other person but he seemed to think I might benefit from Zoloft so he gave me a starter sample pack. I would'nt mind a little something to even out my moods but to be honest I am shocked at the ease and simplicity he just offered to put me on this drug. I have been doing some research into it and I dont think I want to go on it. What are some decent resources to look into this drug?
What are some of your experiences with it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2004, 12:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Zoloft?

its one of many prozac type meds and does often help with anxiety and depression, however those starter packs usually dont have enough tablets as you have to take it daily for 2 to 6 weeks to find out whether its going to help you or not

a change of lifestyle with more exercise and learning relaxation may be preferable for you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 03:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi,

It doesn't sound like you really need to go on a drug like this. Unless you are really suffering I'd do what hry33 said - diet and exercise etc. You could even try a therapeutic dose of St john's Wort.

I was put on Zoloft in early Jan. It sent me through the roof. I reckon it's more for people with depression and not anxiety because it really gives you a jolt and who needs a jolt when you're already anxious??

S

Old 08-25-2004, 09:08 AM   #4
(male)

mickey56 HB User

I had good results from Zoloft but have recently switched to Lexapro as it has less side effects(sexual,eating for me).You will benefit!! Good luck!

Old 08-26-2004, 02:52 PM   #5

Tanki HB User

Zoloft is known to help anxiety. I myself was on it for about 7 years and benefited very much from it. Doctors find it easy to perscribe stuff to their paitents because they have seen this kind of thing many many times, diagnose someone with having anxiety many times.... He knows what he is doing... he wouldn't have perscribed it to you if he didn't think it could help you with your anxiety.

Go to Zoloft.com there actual website and it will tell you all about the different side effects, what to expect ect.

I have a PDR electronic library here on this computer where I can look up all any any drug and get all the information that a doctor would get. Don't think i'm suppose to have this program, but I have it none the less. Don't think i could copy some of it down with info on Zoloft because of copy write... but just do a search on Zoloft, and all the main sites will tell you what to expect ect like I said above.

Good luck to you

Last edited by Tanki; 08-26-2004 at 02:52 PM. Reason: spelling error

Old 08-26-2004, 03:07 PM   #6

redherring HB User

Anxious people need to wean on SSRI's slowly and at the lowest possible dose. You can get the worst panic attacks of your life starting at high doses. If the doctor says 100mg of Zoloft to start with, take 25mgs for the first week and increase weekly in low increments until you get the 100mg level.

Old 08-26-2004, 03:34 PM   #7

Tanki HB User

That's right now doctor really puts anyone on a high dose just to start.

For me I went from about 25mg, to 50mg, 75mg which is the theraputic dose, then up to 100mg... eventually I did go up to 150mg.

IT could be just side effects, but if the doctor raised you up to 100mg just like that i'd question it, because that's way to much to deal with....too much havoc on the body.

Closed Thread