It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2004, 07:28 AM   #1
(female)

volcomrxy21 HB User
Red face Public speaking PLEASE help

I was always able to read aloud in front of a group until about 5th grade when I suffered my first panic attack. I was reading out of a book to the class and all of a sudden I couldn't breath etc. etc... so I pretended to have a cough attack and quickly left the room.
Ever since then, any time my name was called to read aloud, or to do an oral presentation, I would get so nervous and panicked that sometimes it left me unable to speak.
Now I'm a senior in college, and just found out that we have to do weekly presentations in one of my classes. I immediately went into panic mode.
What can I do to stop this from happening!??!

Old 08-24-2004, 11:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Public speaking PLEASE help

a dose of any valium type med and a beta blocker med about 1 hour before will help a lot

also practise reading out aloud when at home

it also helps a lot to do a public speaking course, everyone will be nervous at first

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 03:49 AM   #3

phoebe20 HB User

I had exactly the same problem as you at school. If there was a lesson where we had to do reading out loud in class, I would sit there with my hands sweating and my heart racing dreading my turn. It was horrendous. In the end, I used to skip classes where I knew there was any chance of me having to speak in front of people.

Beta blockers are very good at calming you down for something like a presentation. It's important that you sort out this problem because being able to speak in public will be very useful to you in later life, for example in job interviews. I just avoided it all together and never conquered my fear of it, but I really wish I had. Maybe talk to your teacher or something to see if they could help. Good luck.

Last edited by phoebe20; 08-25-2004 at 03:50 AM. Reason: to add something

Old 08-25-2004, 07:30 AM   #4

Jchandra88 HB User

Public speaking is the number one phobia I think for people. I'm not sure why...but you'd be surprised how many others feel exactly the way you do...including others in your class. I have always been just like you...dreading any time my voice was heard in class. I'm a senior in college now also.. I had a public speaking class last semester that I thought at first I was never going to survive. I took herbs to relax me before every class. Valerian root, Scullcap, St. Johns Wort.. I also took Kava Kava, but that's hard to find in any store. I think you have to buy it online and it's kind of expensive compared to the other herbs. Anyway, I got through it just fine, but I think it also contributed to the anxiety disorder that sprang up right after classes ended. Treat public speaking like an anxiety attack -- just remember to breathe.

Closed Thread