It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2004, 11:32 PM   #1
(male)

JD885 HB User
how to bring social anxiety up to doctor?

First off i think i have social anxiety, and i think i have for at least a year maybe longer (around people, especially strangers, i get real nervous, sweaty, and constantly think everyone is judging me. i also before work sometimes would get extremely anxious to the point were i had to be moving).

Anyway, I have a physical tomorrow and all week i've been thinking about bringing it up to the doctor, but i'm embarrased (even though 14 million people have it blah blah blah) and i also don't know how to bring it up.

Any suggestions?

PS: I would not be up for therapy, but i am good with taking medicine without forgetting.

Old 08-25-2004, 06:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
Re: how to bring social anxiety up to doctor?

There's no reason to be embarrased, I'm sure it won't be the first time he's had someone talk to him about this problem.
I was the other way...I felt so scared and awful all of the time that I couldn't wait to get to the Doctor and find out what was wrong with me.

Why wouldn't you be up for therapy?
It's true that it doesn't work for everyone..it didn't do a thing for me, but it would be worth a try, because it does work well for a lot of people, some also have success with a combo of meds and therapy.

Another thing...when you tell your Doctor about how you feel if he just shoves medication at you without doing tests to rule out other things first then run away as fast as you can and find another Doctor.
Some Doctors are much to quick to put everything down to anxiety or panic disorder without even trying to rule out other causes.

I was only 16 when I was dx'd and I had every test in the book before my Doctor DX'd me with panic disorder.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 11:04 AM   #3
(male)

JD885 HB User
Re: how to bring social anxiety up to doctor?

Well I went this morning, didn't end up bringing it up to the doctor, despite an anxiety poster on the wall i was staring at. I'm going back to college this week so i figured i would be a hassle to start some kind of treatment as i'm leaving.

Closed Thread