It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 04:04 PM   #1
(male)

canada_josh HB User
I am scared to throw up

Hey I am 13 years old and just realized I have emetaphobia...the fear of vomiting....

I DO NOT WANT TO GET OVER MY FEAR.....as I heard that emetaphobics throw up MUCH less often then non emets. BUT I want to be able to verify whether if I feel sick it's anxiety or gas or if I really am nauseous. Can someone help me with my fear....my parents think it is irrational....I know it is....but I can't help it......so please can you give me a few hints as to how to tell if it is nausea gas etc....like actual self tests I can ask my self or poke my tummy to see if it is gas.....THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 05:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: I am scared to throw up

Hi, theres quite a bit about coping with emetophobia or FOV on the net, some get reassurance by carrying an airsick bag with them when out

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 05:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Hi Josh,

I have the same fear, and I know now if it's the real feeling or not, and you do too probably. I think that anxiety makes people like us feel every little thing, when deep down inside we know that it's irrational. If it makes you feel a little better, there's this stuff called emetrol. It's for nausea and vomiting, and works really well. It may comfort you to know that you have it, ya know?

Carrie

Old 08-25-2004, 06:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I wonder if your phobia is caused by Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? Maybe you could post your question there and see if there are more people familiar with your particular fear.

I will tell you this though -- I have no fear of throwing up, but I've maybe thrown up 2x in my life, so I'm not sure that getting over your fear will cause your episodes to increase. Just my two cents.

Old 08-26-2004, 04:02 AM   #5

phoebe20 HB User

i have a fear of being sick or of other people being sick in front of me. my first panic attack was triggered by my friend throwing up in the back of my boyfriend's car after we went out drinking. as a result of this i can't drink alcohol. if people are drinking alcohol around me i will constantly be thinking 'is one of them going to be sick?' i also have a fear of catching any kind of bug which could cause me to be sick. my friend's little brother had a stomach bug last year and i wouldn't go near the house for about 2 weeks.

i totally understand you wanting to be able to tell the difference between anxiety, gas and being properly nauseous. i have difficulty with this and even if i think it's just anxiety, i'll sit and worry about it being something more. sorry if this post hasn't really helped you much. you're not the only one who has this problem though

Closed Thread