It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 09:14 PM   #1

Dooshy HB User
Fluorescent Lighting and Anxiety Attacks

Hi, I'm new here.

Has anyone noticed an association between anxiety attacks and fluorescent lighting? I've been wondering about this for sometime, but am becoming more and more convinced.

I've noticed symptoms when I'm in malls, supermarkets, some office buildings, etc. I feel very light headed, disoriented, fuzzy vision, nauseated, anxious, weak, fatigued and feel like I'm going to pass out. (I never have actually passed out in my life, though). I have to sit down and wait for it to pass, which can take a long time - it normally only resolves itself after I leave the envioronment.

I used to wonder if I was hypoglycemic, or if I hadn't eaten - and would quickly have some food and drink, but it doesn't help. Anyhow, I'm not hypoglycemic, I had all the blood work done. In fact, when these symptoms first began (about 15yrs ago), I had zillions of different tests done, and everything came back normal.

I was told it was caused by anxiety, and for many years I've just accepted this "diagnosis" as there certainly is a huge anxiety factor involved here. But I've remained convinced that there is some trigger that causes it, besides it being purely psychological.

Recently, I was at a meeting at a certain office (never been there before), and within 1/2 hour I started getting these symptoms, including my throat tightening up. I thought maybe I was nervous, although I certainly wasn't consciously aware of it. Then I had to go back to the same office a few days later, met with a different person, and without notice within 10mins, there it goes again! Very frustrating and embarrassing, as all my attention then has to go on trying to keep myself feeling and "looking" normal.

I try to do breathing exercises to center myself.

After leaving the building, I'm feeling absolutely fatigued, very sick to the stomach and again terribly light headed and nauseaus. It resolves itself in about an hour or so.

The connection between fluorescent lighting and anxiety attacks is becoming too hard to ignore now.

Anyone experience the same, or know of any websites or info they can point me to? I'd appreciate any help/suggestions, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2004, 07:03 AM   #2
(male)

stackzone HB User
Re: Fluorescent Lighting and Anxiety Attacks

Join the club supermarkets and Home Depots are a thing of the past for me....Here is the best way I can explain it--during anxiety our eyes go into fight or flight and notice every bit of light so so much more even our pupils get larger so for some reason this flourescent lighting has a big effect on this. Also according to inner ear board if you suffer from any type of dizziness your mind has even more trouble proccessing al of these shelves and food go by as you are walking---anyway I think I can talk for alot of us on these boards when I say alot of us experience this....

Old 08-28-2004, 07:21 AM   #3

jas1980 HB User

I have a hard time with strobe lights. If I go to a concert and one gets going, I immediately freak out.

Old 08-30-2004, 07:04 AM   #4
(male)

junior26 HB User

I know how you feel. I have that lightheaded feeling 24/7, but when I go to Wal-Mart or any other place with fluorescent lighting, it makes the feeling much worse. The light seems to pulsate at times.

Closed Thread