It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 10:05 PM   #1
(male)

Iss HB User
Anxiety.... physical but really no mental symptoms..

Hey everyone...
I used to post on this a while ago until i was put on paxil.... everything was pretty good than, but im sure as lots of you know... meds just kinda get old and you just wanna do things on your own... well, the anxiety is back that i used to have and it's heightened in social situations... The thing i find wierd is that I'll actually wake up and feel anxious... im not worrying about the day.... or anything like that... i just wake up kidna feeling shaky... and i will actually shake a little bit.... hands... lips... also pulse will be strong... than when im at work... my legs will feel really weak... and i'll have hot flashes/chills....
I am wondering if the anxiety isn't caused by something else... seeing it's not being created by my thoughts.... it's just there... (physical symptoms)
Just wondering if anyone what you guys think.... maybe thyroid?

Old 08-27-2004, 11:30 PM   #2

CaptainUtah HB User
Re: Anxiety.... physical but really no mental symptoms..

sounds like hypoglycemia or something.... who knows, but it fits those symptoms

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2004, 07:10 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

junglemonkey HB User

It does sound like hypoglycaemia but then again so do most people with anxiety's symptoms. The fact the paxil made you feel better kinda suggests that it is in fact anxiety you have. I think what you need is a good dose of CBT.

Sometimes, if we've been anxious for a while, our anxious/panicky thoughts are on a subconscious level or go by so fast we don't even see them. CBT helps you to pick them out, and I can now identify my triggers well in most situations. Like you though, in some, I will just all out panic and have no idea why it's happening. The truth is, anxiety IS always created by thoughts but sometimes we aren't aware of it? See what I mean? That is why most people say their first anxious episode or panic attack came "out the blue".

You have to perceive something as a threat (in your case social situations) to get anxious.

Hope this helps

Old 08-28-2004, 08:04 AM   #4
(male)

Iss HB User

hey,
thanks for the reply... I understand what you mean and can see how it can come out of the blue.. only thing that was confusing me was immidiately when i would wake up... before a thought could even start to process in my head... .i felt kinda weak/shaky... and that right there told me that i would have anxiety for the day..... kinda wierd but that's what happens i guess. .. maybe im so used to waking up wondering if im going to have anxiety.... im creating it.. just seems hard to believe but i guess it can happen.... hope i get it figured out..

Old 08-28-2004, 08:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglemonkey
The truth is, anxiety IS always created by thoughts but sometimes we aren't aware of it? See what I mean? That is why most people say their first anxious episode or panic attack came "out the blue".

You have to perceive something as a threat (in your case social situations) to get anxious.

Hope this helps
I'll probably regret saying this, but I have to respectfully disagree with this statement 100%
IMO and that of my Doctor and other people who's panic DID indeed come "out of the blue"
It never came from any kind of thoughts for me and it wasn't brought on by anything that I thought was a threat.
The first one I had I was taking clothes out of the dryer and was fine one second and the next I was having a panic attack...of course at the time I had no idea what it was.
I didn't preceive the dryer or the clothes as a threat and I wasn't thinking about anything, I was just folding clothes.
I came to find out after I was DX'd that my Mother suffered from this disorder and then years after that I found out that my Grandfather...my Mom's Father also had them, as well as several of my Cousins...this is all on my Mothers side of the family.

So for some of us...who have a family history of this disorder... they do indeed just come "Out of the Blue".

I do have to add though, that just because someone in your family has this disorder that doesn't mean you'll get it too...I'm the only one of my Mothers children who has/had it.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this

Old 08-28-2004, 08:53 AM   #6
(male)

Iss HB User

also, i think anxiety/ depression revolve around seritonin.. which is chemical.... at least for most people~

Old 08-28-2004, 12:23 PM   #7

Jchandra88 HB User

I'm going to have to agree with Junglemonkey. Our bodies react from the processes going on in our brains. We are only aware of a small percentage of what goes on up there. We are always taking in and processing new information every second (conscious people at least). Minds are very complicated things and they control every point in our lives.

Old 08-28-2004, 12:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchandra88
(conscious people at least).
I assure you I was conscious when I was folding those clothes.

Like I said we're just going to have to agree to disagree...no two people are the same, there's no right or wrong answer.
Sure would make this disorder a lot easier if there was.

Old 08-28-2004, 01:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iss
Hey everyone...
I used to post on this a while ago until i was put on paxil.... everything was pretty good than, but im sure as lots of you know... meds just kinda get old and you just wanna do things on your own... well, the anxiety is back that i used to have and it's heightened in social situations... The thing i find wierd is that I'll actually wake up and feel anxious... im not worrying about the day.... or anything like that... i just wake up kidna feeling shaky... and i will actually shake a little bit.... hands... lips... also pulse will be strong... than when im at work... my legs will feel really weak... and i'll have hot flashes/chills....
I am wondering if the anxiety isn't caused by something else... seeing it's not being created by my thoughts.... it's just there... (physical symptoms)
Just wondering if anyone what you guys think.... maybe thyroid?
yes, could be thyroid, go draw your blood but do the entire panel, tsh, free t4, free t3, antibodies. Also, how old are you? If you are in your late thirties or forties, you could also be perimenopause. If you are young, also your hormones can do this too, like PMS, etc.

Andrea

Old 08-28-2004, 01:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iss
also, i think anxiety/ depression revolve around seritonin.. which is chemical.... at least for most people~

This is true. Since taking Prozac, I've felt alot better, but sometimes I'm still feeling dizzyor off balance and I find that I still tremble, this is using my muscles on exertion or body just seems to vibrate. They would like me to increase my prozac and I think I mistakenly took 20mg. this week cause I can never remember when I've taken my pill and that was the only day I felt super, LOL Now taking 10mg., I feel like crap again.

Andrea

Old 08-28-2004, 03:49 PM   #11
(male)

Iss HB User

I'm a 21 year old male so obviously PMS isn't gonna be a factor HAHA Thank god
I also have IBS.. or at least that's what they called it... .i just feel nausous all the time.. medication i got for that does work but not all the time... hypo thyroid also causes nauses stomach i think... i'll go to doc w/ in next 2 weeks to get some blood drawn... thanks for your help guys

Old 08-28-2004, 04:11 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

junglemonkey HB User

Iss - Just last night I woke up and went straight into a panic attack. Our minds are active at night too when we're sleeping.

Graciecat - I've been there too, the ones that seem to come "out the blue" but when you pick apart the week or few days before you have it, it seems logical. I remember all the reasons my therapist seemed to pick out of nowhere, such obscure things but they made so much sense.

I believe the adrenaline has to be released for a reason. We have to percieve something, no matter how small, consciously or subconsciously, related to the situation or not, as a threat to have a panic attack. I particularly remember the first attack I had in school... I could see no reason. I was the top of the class for maths, liked my teacher, was surrounded by friends... Why should I be panicking ten minutes into this lesson? Turns out, once my therapist picked it apart, I was worrying about going out to dinner that night because I was having trouble eating at the time and about my brother's gf being there because we had issues. Completely unrelated yet this was what was going on at a subconscious level.

No one in my family has the same specific disorder as me, but both my parents are on anti-depressants for stress. My dad also has a lot of mild stress/anxiety problems.

Old 08-28-2004, 04:35 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iss
I'm a 21 year old male so obviously PMS isn't gonna be a factor HAHA Thank god
I also have IBS.. or at least that's what they called it... .i just feel nausous all the time.. medication i got for that does work but not all the time... hypo thyroid also causes nauses stomach i think... i'll go to doc w/ in next 2 weeks to get some blood drawn... thanks for your help guys
PMS can exist at age 21. And if so, you would feel this 2 weeks outof the month or maybe you do have it and your symtpoms increase during this episode. There is also PMDD. Check into it.

Old 08-28-2004, 04:43 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh well, like I said we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this.
You don't believe that they can come on from "out of the blue" and I am 100% sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that they can because I know for a fact that mine did.
Nothing was going on in my life or nothing had happened in the past to bring them on and they were there, then one day..again nothing had changed and they were gone.
Seven years later again, for no reason at all they were back and then six years later I woke up one day and they were gone, so as of right now I'm panic free...Thank goodness.

Like I said, no two people are the same and no two situations are the same. There are no right or wrong answers and no hard and fast rules.
It sure would be nice though if one thing worked for everyone.
Then what would the Doctors and Therapists and Drug Company Reps do??

Old 08-30-2004, 03:11 PM   #15

Kimme81 HB User

I also have to say that my symptoms usually come on for no reason... I will be watching tv, getting ready for bed, or in a meeting at work & all of a sudden I feel light headed, shaky, & anxious & I often can not pin point why. I have been having anxiety for about a month now & I am pretty sure the overall experience was brought on by a breast cancer scare (which ended up being nothing).. but now I still have random mini panic attacks (that I can usually just work my way thru) for no apparent reason... I'm hoping they will just go away the better I get at controlling them... Hope all is well

Closed Thread