It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2004, 08:22 AM   #1

Razzy123 HB User
Lack of sleep due to anxiety/stress?

With the school year coming up this is something that i need to get resolved

Now i am not sure if this is the most appropriate board for this, but here it goes. I also posted this on the sleep disorder board.

I'm 18 years old, but unfortunately constantly worry. Now this worrying doesn't necessarily come about during the day (although quite often i feel guilty over the smallest things), and most of the time i worry about the most absurd things. However, as nighttime comes along, and i want to sleep, my mind seems ready to run a marathon. Everything and anything i can think about pops up in my head, and it really disturbs my sleep. I wake up during the night quite a few times, and don't get a very relaxing sleep.

It's very common i know for people to have difficulty sleeping, and i don't believe i actually have a disorder, but rather it stems from the fact that i worry so much.

I was wondering if anyone here has ever faced the same situation i have, and ways they got around fixing it.

If it helps, i can give a scenario that may assist in what i mean when my mind runs a marathon. if i don't sleep immediately i start to worry about getting sleep that night, then i start to worry about not getting sleep the next night and so on and so on. I would really prefer if i got a more detailed response rather than don't worry, because simply trying not to worry won't help, but if anyone has a strategy to simply taking things easy, i'd greatly appreciate it

Thanks very much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2004, 09:24 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tooanxious HB User
Re: Lack of sleep due to anxiety/stress?

I just posted a thread on anxiety and sleep. Really is no easy answer except to cleanse your mind of those worries before you go to bed. Get a notepad and write down your problems on one side and solutions on another. I have an anxiety workbook that has a "worry worksheet" where you do this and it helps. If you cant sleep dont lie in bed but do some light activity that will distract you until you feel tired again. Lying in bed will just keep you focused on your worries and you wont be able to sleep. Also go to bed at the same time and only use your bed for sleeping. Good luck. Hopefully our minds will let us sleep tonight.

Last edited by tooanxious; 08-31-2004 at 09:25 AM.

Old 09-02-2004, 05:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

try melatonin and warm milk before bed

several books a re available on stopping worry and they have useful advice

Old 09-02-2004, 09:12 PM   #4
(female)

Mushroomie HB User

I take Remeron 45mg at night for sleep, and I sleep like a baby yes it is a anti depressant so that might help with your anxiety at night, there also trazadone too thats a milder anti depressant that might work too.
Hope this helps

Peace
Mushroomie

Closed Thread