It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2004, 11:15 PM   #1

51anna HB User
Glad to find this place

Hi,

I'm so glad to find this place and have people to talk to about anxiety in daily life. I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression several years ago and have had good results with antidepressant meds for the depression. But , the anxiety however is still persistent in my life and in the last couple of years I've come to realize that it has even more of an effect on my life than I realized. In fact, I spent years believing that I was less capable in all aspects of my life, than other people and it's definitely affected my self-esteem.

Insomnia is a persistent problem. Some health-related problems in the last couple of years have caused mild panic attacks. I was recently presented with a great job opportunity (totally different from anything I've ever done) and was so overwhelmed with anxiety that I had to pass it over.

I'd like to meet other people who have to deal with high anxiety levels and learn more about how to cope and any other information and tips that I can find out. Do you feel like anxiety has made you compromise in your life and not live your life fully?

Anna

Old 09-02-2004, 05:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Glad to find this place

Hi anna
if your antidepressant dose can be upped it may also reduce the anxiety as well, if not swapping to another one may help

these meds can reduce both depression and anxiety and panic attacks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2004, 06:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
Re: Glad to find this place

Anna,

When I was first DX'd with panic disorder...yes, it did cause me to compromise in my life and stopped me from doing things that I wanted to do.
Then one day I just got mad at it and thought to myself..."I am not going to let this thing run or ruin my life, it's anxiety it's not going to hurt or kill me and I'm stronger than it is."
This may sound to simple to work but it worked for me.
When I would be start to feel an attack coming on I would count backwards from 300 and for some reason by the time I got to 1 the attack was gone....I also took slow deep breaths while I was doing this.
My Doctor told me it worked because I was so busy thinking about what number was next that I didn't have time to think about the panic attack.
I've heard other people say that this works for them too.
I know some people count things...like blocks in the ceiling or count backwards by 2 or 4, but that didn't work for me because if I would lose count of the 'things' or not be able to think of the next number when counting in multipls I'd just get more upset...that and the fact that I have OCD and count "things" all the time anyway.

I'm sorry this wasn't more helpful, but I just wanted you to know that you can beat this....I never thought I could and I did and you can too.

Closed Thread