It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2004, 01:20 PM   #1
(female)

elmosgirl167 HB User
Exclamation Effexor xr for teens?

Hi everybody I've just been prescribed EFFEXOR XR for my social anxiey disorder. I'm only 15 but it's been pretty intense for a couple of months now. I just wanted to know if any other teens here have taken it, and if so what were the side effects?

Please respond!

Old 09-03-2004, 05:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Effexor xr for teens?

at 15 it should be OK, all of these antidepressant meds can have early side effects for the first few weeks, reducing the dose by splitting the tablet will help
also look for books on overcoming social anxiety, they have useful advice

after the effexor is working, do a public speaking course, everyone will be nervous at first, but when you learn how, this will give you lots more confidence

remember when anxious to breathe deep and slow, this will always calm you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2004, 08:52 PM   #3
(female)

elmosgirl167 HB User
Unhappy Re: Effexor xr for teens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hry33
at 15 it should be OK, all of these antidepressant meds can have early side effects for the first few weeks, reducing the dose by splitting the tablet will help
also look for books on overcoming social anxiety, they have useful advice

after the effexor is working, do a public speaking course, everyone will be nervous at first, but when you learn how, this will give you lots more confidence

remember when anxious to breathe deep and slow, this will always calm you

I realize your trying to help but you didn't really answer my question. I haven't seen a single teen or anyone on here for that matter who takes Effexor xr for ANXIETY. Does someone know what I'm taking about here! I seriuosly think I don't won't to risk the possible weight gain that can come from antidepressants...

Old 09-03-2004, 09:36 PM   #4

sensibleshoes HB User

Your mental health is a lot more important than gaining weight. In any case, I don't think it's set in stone that you WILL gain weight, and the Effexor may give you enough energy to exercise more if it does become a problem.

Already told you I"m not a teen, but I changed to Effexor a year ago and am back to being the person I was as a teenager. Myself! And yes, I had severe anxiety, treated with Klonapin. Since changing the meds, I have not had ONE panic attack. Haven't taken Klonapin in nearly a year, and actually was able to persue a part time singing career. Yep, getting up on a stage in front of people and opening my mouth.

If I can pull this off at 47, after a lifetime of freaking out, certainly you should wait and see how the drug makes you feel before you dismiss it for something cosmetic. I'd rather be 20 pounds overweight and happy than skinny and miserable.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:45 AM   #5
Inactive

pekodinky HB User

hi I was prescribed effexor when I was 15. after trying many different anti-depressants effexor helped me greatly. I'm now 20. I have put weight on but I have now been diagnosed with an under-active thyriod.
If you do put weight on you can always lose it again. Weight shouldn't be a big problem if you eat healthly and get some exercise.
Try to think what is worse, your anxiety or if you were to put weight on. If its the weight then which is worse your anxiety or doing some exercise.
I hope this helps

Old 05-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

cinemachick HB User

I was on Effexor at 16. I quit it at 17 because of some side effects. The psych was running out of meds to put me on, and even so, he was kinda hesitant to have me try it.

Old 05-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #7

ms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB User

The original poster started this thread in September of 2004 and has not posted on this thread since then.
Please, before posting on a thread check to make sure that the original poster has responded within the last 2 or 3 months.
In this case the original poster has not responded to this thread in well of a year and a half.

This thread is now closed.

Ms_Mod

Closed Thread