It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2004, 06:47 PM   #1

bushleaguer HB User
Anyone on Zoloft....

I have been undergoing treatment for panic attacks and social anxiety disorder for about three months now. I was put on Klonopin for the panic and was given Paxil for the social anxiety. I tolerated the Klonopin fine but the Paxil made me very nauseous and I had non-stop diahrrea, so after a week on Paxil I stopped taking it.
I was up to 1.5 mg of Klonopin a day, but I've dropped that to 1.25mg/day due to some cognitive impairment I was unhappy with. I've noticed some of the anxiety has creeped back in, but its nothing I can't deal with. In a few weeks I'm going to taper down to 1.0mg/day and see how I do with that. I want to be on as little of this drug as I can. The thing is that my doctor says that the Klonopin will help with anxiety, but its not a drug to be used for long-term use as a therapy for social anxiety disorder. So every visit he tries to talk me into starting a Zoloft regimen.
My reservations with starting Zoloft are the side effects - these in particular: 1) weight gain.
2) "emotional flat-line"
3) loss of libido

Now, my doctor listened to my concerns and said, "Well, we can work around that." He asked me point blank - "Don't you want to be able to have a fulfilling social life?" (Note: I don't have much of one at all right now) I told him I do, but I also don't want to become an outgoing person who is also overweight, has no desire for sex and doesn't care about anything.
Actually, the loss of libido I might be willing to live with, but the other two I wouldn't. I was a chubby kid and am very sensitive about my weight. Gaining 50 pounds on an SSRI would be conterproductive to my overall mental health. I also wouldn't want to live not caring about anything...ie. lose my humanity.

My question to anyone who is/was on Zoloft is what long-term side effects they experienced....more importantly any of those I'm worried about. I know that people react to medications differently, but I've read that these sides are more common than not. And I don't want to start taking the stuff....suffer all of these side effects...and then have to go through the withdrawl trying to get off of it.

Any help with your experiences is greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2004, 03:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Anyone on Zoloft....

zoloft and paxil are both prozac type meds, the long term side effects usually arent much trouble, its the early side effects that can be severe

reducing the starting dose by splitting the tablet often helps, taking klonapin also helps

Old 09-06-2004, 07:56 PM   #3

bushleaguer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hry33
zoloft and paxil are both prozac type meds, the long term side effects usually arent much trouble, its the early side effects that can be severe

reducing the starting dose by splitting the tablet often helps, taking klonapin also helps
Thanks for the info. Hry33. I was given a starter kit that gives you 25mg/day for the first 7 days and 50mg/day for the next 2 weeks.
Perhaps splitting the 25mg tablets and starting off with 12.5mg/day would help lessen the initial side effects. Might be worth trying if I do decide to go on it.

Thanks again.

Old 09-06-2004, 08:53 PM   #4

moe2121 HB User

bushleaguer- thats what i got when i started zoloft..the "starter kit". My doctor told me to cut them in half at first so that is what i did. I would say my only side effects to the zoloft were that i was very tired all the time for most of the time i was on it. Also, i had some sexual side effects. I have been off of it for about 6 months and i dont seem to have any effects still occuring. hope this helped. good luck.

Old 09-06-2004, 09:39 PM   #5

bushleaguer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe2121
bushleaguer- thats what i got when i started zoloft..the "starter kit". My doctor told me to cut them in half at first so that is what i did. I would say my only side effects to the zoloft were that i was very tired all the time for most of the time i was on it. Also, i had some sexual side effects. I have been off of it for about 6 months and i dont seem to have any effects still occuring. hope this helped. good luck.
Thanks moe - I think if I do go on it that I'll cut the 25mg pills in half and start real slow.

Just out of curiosity - did the zoloft help what you were taking it for?
I've read the brochure about it and it seems almost unbelievable that it can cure so many issues. After reading about it you'd think it is some magical pill.
Thanks again.

Closed Thread