It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2004, 02:15 PM   #1
(male)

Walty10 HB User
some questions about anxiety and medicine

Hello,

I am starting to get over a pretty stressful case of constant vertigo and dizziness for about 4 months now. I acquired panic attacks throughout this whole thing due to the dizzy feeling. I have also acquired alot of the symptoms that go along with chronic anxiety. The constant feeling of impending doom, always thinking about death, wondering if i am going nuts, and worrying that i will never be able to be myself again. I also have developed agoraphobia. My father also had this when he was younger and told me that you can beat it without any type of medication. I was hoping that once the dizziness was gone or almost gone that the anxiety would leave too, but it hasnt. I need to take 1mg of lorazepam just to be able to go out or go to school everyday. This obviously isnt somthing i can keep up so i have been thinking about getting on the anti-depressants.

The only thing holding me back is all the talk about the side effects. Supposedly they can make u dizzy, which isnt something id like to deal with again. Im also worried about the suicidal thoughts that have been said to come with antidepressants. Other people say it gives them weird thoughts about hurting themselves or other people.

I dont want any of these side effects but i want to be done with the constant "oh-no" feeling. I want to be done with the panic attacks. They are just sooo scary. I just want to return to normal.

Anyone with any information on the anti depressants or any advice at all would be great. Is this something that can be beaten 100% forever?

Ps. I've also found this website praising the "Linden Method." A supposedly drug-free, 100% fix to your anxiety and panic attacks. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thank you all for you help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2004, 04:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: some questions about anxiety and medicine

claire weekes books are all helpful but arent a magic cure, they were also written a long time ago, she was a pioneer of agoraphobia treatment advidice, back when most psychiatrists said it didnt exist

Old 09-07-2004, 09:53 AM   #3
(female)

anneh HB Useranneh HB User
Re: some questions about anxiety and medicine

I feel for you as I know how bad it is BUT I want to encourage you because I started the symptoms many years ago and during the worst part of it I had the dizziness/heart pounding and alll sorts of symptoms and ended up in ER. First I want to agree with the person about Dr Weekes books, they may be old but the truth is still in them. Also, there is a method called Recovery (recovery-inc.org) and of all the pyscho babble I have heard and read they make the most sense and give you the best tools. For instance start telling yourself NOW that your symptoms are "distressing but not dangerous" because the more we scare ourselves the more scared we get. Before you resort to prescription drugs try the herbs that have been used for centuries and have also helped me and many others. Get a tincture with Valerian/Skullcap/Passionflower etc in it (usually Gaia or HerbPharm herbals have it and can be found at health food store (I don't care for GNC) as liquid tinctures work more quickly and take a dose several times a day. Of course they should not be mixed with prescription drugs. Drink calming herbal teas and make sure you don't drink any caffeinated beverages or sodas and cut out the sugar and take a 50mg vitamin B Complex capsule a couple of times a day. Start watching your diet and make sure its a good one. I have struggled with this horrible disorder for over 30 years successfully and the worse part of it is what we tell ourselves! Its all in our mind and I am not making light of it believe me but we are the only ones who can overcome it. Don't dwell on death - been there done that and I am still alive 30 years later. Not to sound trite but when you wake up tomorrow with that horrible feeling of impending doom (yes i know it too well) say to it "go away I do not want you, I am going to have a wonderful day" and even tho you might not feel different, get up and keep repeating it. All you are doing is replacing the bad words with good ones, the mind gets into habits. Also, I believe strongly in prayer. God created you and He loves you but the enemy hates you and likes to make your life a misery. You may not have the same belief as I do and thats ok, but remember there is good and evil and personally I found that evil had destroyed most of my family and was destroying me until I put a stop to it. Its not been an easy road but I know that God is on my side Have not heard of the Linden Method but will take a look at it online.
Hugs Anneh
I am starting to get over a pretty stressful case of constant vertigo and dizziness for about 4 months now. I acquired panic attacks throughout this whole thing due to the dizzy feeling. I have also acquired alot of the symptoms that go along with chronic anxiety. The constant feeling of impending doom, always thinking about death, wondering if i am going nuts, and worrying that i will never be able to be myself again. I also have developed agoraphobia. My father also had this when he was younger and told me that you can beat it without any type of medication. I was hoping that once the dizziness was gone or almost gone that the anxiety would leave too, but it hasnt. I need to take 1mg of lorazepam just to be able to go out or go to school everyday. This obviously isnt somthing i can keep up so i have been thinking about getting on the anti-depressants.

The only thing holding me back is all the talk about the side effects. Supposedly they can make u dizzy, which isnt something id like to deal with again. Im also worried about the suicidal thoughts that have been said to come with antidepressants. Other people say it gives them weird thoughts about hurting themselves or other people.

I dont want any of these side effects but i want to be done with the constant "oh-no" feeling. I want to be done with the panic attacks. They are just sooo scary. I just want to return to normal.

Anyone with any information on the anti depressants or any advice at all would be great. Is this something that can be beaten 100% forever?

Ps. I've also found this website praising the "Linden Method." A supposedly drug-free, 100% fix to your anxiety and panic attacks. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thank you all for you help[/QUOTE]

Closed Thread