It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2004, 07:53 PM   #1

Janice2523 HB User
Hi - I'm new here...does anyone experience a burning feeling with their anxiety ??

Hello !!

I am a longtime anxiety sufferer which I attribute to my Type-A personality and high energy level and never taking a moment of down-time to relax. Earlier this year I had mono (I have no idea how I got it as I am a 38 year old at-home mom) and that kicked my anxiety into high gear and I found myself freaking out over every bodily sensation. It was like I couldn't turn the volume down on my own perceptions. One feeling that is most disturbing is that all of the sudden it feels like my skin is burning (or percolating from the inside out). This is mostly my upper arms that experience this and sometimes after lifting light weights and other times for no apparent reason. I have had this since February and while my bloodwork is fine (other than showing the mono) my doctor said that the virus that causes mono can do all kinds of weird things to people (and the older you are the weirder they can be). I am trying to tease this apart - is the burning feeling anxiety or the after effects of the mono ??

Anyone care to lend their opinion ??

Thanks, Janice

Last edited by Janice2523; 09-07-2004 at 07:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2004, 02:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Hi - I'm new here...does anyone experience a burning feeling with their anxiety ??

welcome janice
I havent heard of it being caused by anxiety
lots of niacin can cause the skin to feel hot and go red but this doesnt seem likely for you

stay with us

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2004, 04:26 PM   #3

KirstenP HB User
Re: Hi - I'm new here...does anyone experience a burning feeling with their anxiety ??

What you're experiencing sounds soooo familiar (except the mono part). I have had major anxiety and stress over the summer and started feeling that burning sensation on the top of my thighs. It just comes and goes - usually lasting no more than a minute or so. Believe me when I say, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about when you mentioned the freaking out about evey bodily sensation. I've spent the last 3 months doing that. Whenever I get used to one sensation, a new one pops up and then I obsess about that one. I started Zoloft and that helps, but I still let myself get wound up about different things I'm feeling.

So in answer to your question....YES, I have that burning feeling also and can only attribute it to stress/anxiety since I've never experienced it before and it started happening during the height of my stress.

Hope that helps...

Old 09-08-2004, 06:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice2523
Hello !!

I am a longtime anxiety sufferer which I attribute to my Type-A personality and high energy level and never taking a moment of down-time to relax. Earlier this year I had mono (I have no idea how I got it as I am a 38 year old at-home mom) and that kicked my anxiety into high gear and I found myself freaking out over every bodily sensation. It was like I couldn't turn the volume down on my own perceptions. One feeling that is most disturbing is that all of the sudden it feels like my skin is burning (or percolating from the inside out). This is mostly my upper arms that experience this and sometimes after lifting light weights and other times for no apparent reason. I have had this since February and while my bloodwork is fine (other than showing the mono) my doctor said that the virus that causes mono can do all kinds of weird things to people (and the older you are the weirder they can be). I am trying to tease this apart - is the burning feeling anxiety or the after effects of the mono ??

Anyone care to lend their opinion ??

Thanks, Janice
What you probably have is a bit of anxiety with your mono, just relax, mono isn't going to kill you. I use to get the burning sensations too, and your skin can turn red with it, cause you are having body hot flushes and the hypothalmus is turning up the heat in your body. Just don't pay attention to it and it will go away and if you get again, just say you are having a hot flash and let it pass. I'm older than you, so I can say these things cause I'm in those meno years and those hot flashes aren't fun.

Andrea

Old 09-08-2004, 07:14 PM   #5

Janice2523 HB User

Thanks so much for your replies !! Today I was not stressed at all (a first in a long time) and had no burning. The thought of it ran across my mind for a moment earlier today and almost started it.

Anxiety is amazing! If it isn't one thing cropping up as an anxiety symptom it is something else !!

Thanks again !
Janice

Old 11-14-2005, 03:39 PM   #6

neenie HB User

I also have the burning. The undersides of my arms and my chest (right between my boobs) get the hottest although sometimes the hot feeling will be on my stomach, the back of my neck and my ears. I have no doubt that this is anxiety related. I had it a few years ago when I was having panic attacks and I'm experiencing it again. My mother just recently died and I've been under tremendous stress and now, instead of random panic attacks, I'm having a more generalized anxiety. I've also thought I was having a heart attack and spent 2 days in the hospital being checked out and they found nothing there. Just more anxiety. But trust me....the burning is very very real. My skin feels like a sunburn.........not constantly but several times a day depending upon how anxious I am. I'm sure that niacin will cause skin burning, but do not be deceived. Anxiety will, too!

Closed Thread