It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2004, 09:38 PM   #1

grassroots311 HB User
Flinching/clumsiness...are these symptoms?

I experience some strange physical reactions when in certain social situations where I feel like people are watching me. Eating around others is a prime example that brings this out.

An example is if I'm eating something with my hands, sometimes I'll flinch as I'm bringing it towards my mouth. Say I brush my arm against something as I'm cutting my food, my whole body will flinch. When I'm drinking from a glass with ice, you know how the ice can stick to the bottom and then drop as your drinking. That will cause me to flinch. All of these situations can be quite embarrasing, as others around me notice this reaction from me. This only happens when I'm around others.

Does this sound like an anxiety type of reaction, or am I just extremely clumsy?

Old 09-10-2004, 06:48 AM   #2
(female)

AnnieinPA HB User
Re: Flinching/clumsiness...are these symptoms?

Wow, finally someone who has the same thing happen to them!! It is definitely a symptom of social anxiety. What you're describing is muscle tension (at least I think it is from all of the research I've done on it). For awhile I was so worried that I had a tic or something because everytime I would try to eat in front of people, my neck would get so tight and my arms could barely move and then they'd like shudder or something. It's really strange, isn't it? The second I have a glass of wine, the symptoms completely go away. And then once the symptom happens, you're afraid it will happen each and every time that you sit down to eat with someone, so it's in your mind when you do and then it happens! It's a vicious cycle. Try to stay focused on the people and conversation around you - use the onion theory and confirm to yourself, "So what if my arms shudder? So what if I look nervous or wierd? What are they going to do to me?" I know it seems agonizing, but in reality, it's not that big of a deal. Those people, if they notice, will probably get in their cars, say to their spouse, "Did you see that guy shudder when he would eat?" Then they'd move on to something else and never think of it again. And that's the WORSE case scenario. Hope this helps and I hope that you keep a so what attitude about this symptom.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2004, 01:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

fear of making a social error or embarrasing yourself when eating with others is common, with the feeling that they are all watching you and waiting to pass judgement
this anxiety could make you clumsy and may give you a lump in the throat feeling making swallowing difficult

you need to learn how to relax, really they arent watching you at all

Old 09-10-2004, 09:51 PM   #4

grassroots311 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieinPA
Wow, finally someone who has the same thing happen to them!! It is definitely a symptom of social anxiety. What you're describing is muscle tension (at least I think it is from all of the research I've done on it). For awhile I was so worried that I had a tic or something because everytime I would try to eat in front of people, my neck would get so tight and my arms could barely move and then they'd like shudder or something. It's really strange, isn't it? The second I have a glass of wine, the symptoms completely go away. And then once the symptom happens, you're afraid it will happen each and every time that you sit down to eat with someone, so it's in your mind when you do and then it happens! It's a vicious cycle. Try to stay focused on the people and conversation around you - use the onion theory and confirm to yourself, "So what if my arms shudder? So what if I look nervous or wierd? What are they going to do to me?" I know it seems agonizing, but in reality, it's not that big of a deal. Those people, if they notice, will probably get in their cars, say to their spouse, "Did you see that guy shudder when he would eat?" Then they'd move on to something else and never think of it again. And that's the WORSE case scenario. Hope this helps and I hope that you keep a so what attitude about this symptom.
Annie
Thank you for your response, it is sooo reassuring to know that there is someone else out there like me You're right about what happens when you think about it... I feel like the more I try to concentrate to NOT do it, the more it happens. And what you said about the wine is the exact same for me!!! Except it's beer LOL I don't even need to get a buzz going, just one beer and it totally relaxes me and I feel normal again.

Closed Thread