It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2004, 02:11 PM   #1

Dreamer555 HB User
Unhappy Not Social Anxiety, what is it???

Hello, I thought I might of had social anxiety disorder but it seems I don't, here are my symptoms...

I am not really shy, I talk to people and I don't get nervous. It's when I seem to have a personal connection with someone (like a friend or someone I know that likes me) I seem to avoid them. I'm not like this to friends I've known for a while but a new friend or like I said a person I know that's interested in me I just don't answer their calls and try to avoid as much as possible. I don't know why I do this though because I would love to hang out with them, what could this be??

Last edited by Dreamer555; 09-13-2004 at 02:13 PM.

Old 09-13-2004, 02:28 PM   #2

Dandylyone HB User
Re: Not Social Anxiety, what is it???

My first question woudl be, how old are you?

Reason I ask this is because I did the same thing at an early age. I really like someone, but I avoided them at all cost.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2004, 02:32 PM   #3

Dreamer555 HB User
Post Re: Not Social Anxiety, what is it???

Lol, good question. I am a 24 year old female. I've had serveral boyfriends & so on, I think I have some sort of disorder..

Old 09-13-2004, 02:42 PM   #4

Dandylyone HB User

I'm no psychotherapist or anything like that, but I would say that what you do woudl be normal. I find myself have a similar problem, and I think it is due to over analasys. Women tend to over-analyze a lot! (especially me!).

Let me give you an example. I just recently started a job, and of course when you start a job you start to make friends. Well, I befriended some people the very first day. Since I dont know them that well, I sometimes found myself overanalyzing my interaction with them. "Did I not say the right thing? Man, what I just said was stupid... What do they think about me? "
Then they were short with me, or didnt say "hi" when they walked past me. Then I started overanalyzing that, and then just started avoiding them because I thought that they really didnt like me (or something crazy like that) and they were just being nice at the time.
And about calling people that you just met...well...I think everyone has the same problem. Because you dont know each other well enough to keep a coversation going.

But that is my take on everything!
Hope it helped!

Queen of Over-Analyzing

Old 09-13-2004, 02:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

its probably shyness and you should try to overcome it by learning how to relax, etc

do a public speaking course, this will help, also remember that people arent passing judgement on you

Closed Thread