It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2004, 11:42 AM   #1

truelyurangel82 HB User
I went to a conselor *shrink*

Wow i cant believe i even went to my counselor meeting today at 10:30 am. I SERIOUSLY was not even going to go. Ifelt like whatever its going to be a waiste of time *which it might have been* and that i didnt need to go because i havent really been depressed as i was 1 week ago.

So anyway I went to the meeting and she made me sit on this couch.yeh its basically just like what u see on tv when someone is talking to a shrink *snickers*. Basically most of the questions were about my shyness and having a lack of a social life. She asked some questions about my childhood, teenager yrs and collegeee blah. I told her i was always shy and that in kindergarden my dad had practically drag me toschool. LOL. i remember those days. I would cry and go, "i dunno wanna go." But i grew out of that and made friends in elementary school even though i still was shy.

Then there were questions about college. I tolld her how i joined an organization on campus *not going to say what it is but im sure u guys now*, and that i felt it was a waiste of time because everyone had t heir own little "cliques" and then there was just me lonely. So i stopped going to the meetings, blah. I told her how my parents were telling me that i need to join crap and blah. She said that joining stuff will solve half of the problem but not completly.

Then she asked if i ever got nervous in situations or any anxiety. *yeh i know she was trying to see if i had social anxiety disorder*, so i said no which is true i dont get nervous, sweating or anything but that when i meet new people my mind goes blank or i think of something to say but cant get it out. BLAH..blah blah. She said though im SHY, im very MOTIVATED, which i do agree on.

Then she asked if i was depressed and felt low.. *BASICALLY most of the questions she asked, I would of asked myself*. I know all about psychology since my minor is in psychology so i knew where she was going with this *trying to see if i had any depression or bipolar*. SO i said yes i was depressed the first 2 weeks of school and she said how long were u depressed and i said just some of the day when i started thinking about things. I told her how i was hardely depressed at home also.

The most embarassing question was when she asked if i assumed alcohol. I said yes and then she said how much and how long ago. I told her about 1 week ago or 2 weeks ago.She said do u drink alot and i said no just once or twice a month*which is TRUE but not in Aug and part of Sept LOL*. She said how much did u drink in one period. I said almost a whole thing of 15% alcohol and she said thats alot. And im thinking yeh yeh. She asked if i got sick and i said no. Then she told me how some college students she conseled told her that the drank everyday or frequently and im thinking woah holy ****. SO i felt less bad about myself from hearing that.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SO im sure she couldnt figure me out completttly since im a mess. So she says i should do a PERSONALITY questionare TEST that has 50 questions of yes and no to see what the picture is internally. thats about 50 dollars for the questionare. ***. But i guess ill do it. This might be seriously a waste of time but who knows.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2004, 03:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: I went to a conselor *shrink*

it may be worth continuing but I would hope she soon starts giving you advice and talks back to you, and doesnt just keep asking questions

ask her if theres anything unusual about you that may be causing social problems

Old 09-20-2004, 04:25 PM   #3

truelyurangel82 HB User

She said she didnt get the whole picture yet and that she wanted me to doPersonality test that has 500 questions on it. its 50 dollars! yeh holy crap. She said that the personality test should give her more of a picture and that she would discuss the results wiht me and see a link between the questions and what i told her.

then afterwards she said she wanting sessions with me. they r 24 dollars a secti0on which is uh yeh costly. so i dunno if im going to go on with this. i might

Old 09-20-2004, 04:57 PM   #4

KindaMessedUp HB User

I went to the same kind of treatment, and I have to say that I continued to improve the entire time I was there. When I first started seeing him I was literally house bound, and had trouble leaving the house to see him. But the lnger I went, the better I felt. Unfortunately it took about 1 1/2 years to feel 60-70% better, and it was 80 dollars a session, one session a week. It got to where I couldn't afford it, but right now I'm trying to figure out how I can go back. It was funny, because at the beginning it was a lot of him asking me 'Well, what do you think?' And I'm thinking how can this help, but it did help a great deal. Good luck

Old 09-21-2004, 02:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

books on overcoming anxiety have all the info a counsellor could give you and are lots cheaper
IMO you need a counsellor who talks back and gives advice, not 1 who just sits and listens to you

Closed Thread