It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2004, 10:29 AM   #1
(female)

mayansun HB User
Smile Self Help Books?

Hi,

To fellow sufferers of anxiety...had anyone had any luck with self help books. I am just looking at all angles to help myself (got therapy and medication) and if anyone has a suggestion please let me know. In particular one that focuses on breathing or meditation is of interest.

KJ

Old 09-21-2004, 02:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Self Help Books?

the books are all helpful, see whats available at your library

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2004, 03:15 PM   #3

shello HB User
Talking Re: Self Help Books?

my therapist had suggested "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" by Edmund J Bourne, PhD.

It is a good workbook (I thought) aside from doing that workbook, she made a meditation tape for me, which I lost and re-made myself) with breathing exercises.... Going from the tip of my head to the tip of my toes in tightening and then relaxing my muscles... also sort of meditative in picturing myself in my "happy" place, but described to the "T"... you know, sitting on the deck of a cruise ship with the sun shining down on me, a cool breeze blowing while a cold drink sits in my hand and I can hear the steel drum band playing calypso music, etc.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:57 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

tooanxious HB User
Re: Self Help Books?

Thats cool you mentioned mediation. I just started a thread on that. I think we need more discusion on meditation and relaxation techiques. I got one of those relaxation CDs from my therapist also. I start at my arms and then work down to my legs. He has me breathe in tru my nose and out thru my mouth while I do it. As far as books go I dont have too many in particular. I bought one on meditation and have Hope and Help for your Nerves by claire weekes.

Last edited by tooanxious; 09-23-2004 at 04:58 PM.

Old 09-23-2004, 05:14 PM   #5
(female)

Anxious Annie HB User
Wink Re: Self Help Books?

Hi. From Panic to Power, by Lucinda Bassett. It's a good "starter book", simply written, that gives comfort in knowing you are not the only one who experiences *weird* symptoms, etc. I get comfort from it whenever I read it over after a bad episode.

As for meditation, I had these really great Alpha and Delta active and sleep relaxation CDs that for the life of me I cannot find but you may be able to shop around for them online. I think Living Arts produces them. A lot of water sounds to sooth and relax. Not so much meditation as relaxation, but I loved them!

Closed Thread