It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2004, 01:41 PM   #1

worriedmother HB User
Unhappy 11 year old entering middle school-crying

Hello all,
I'm not even certain if this is the correct category but I thought I'd start here. I have an eleven year old daughter who has just entered middle school this year. She's very intelligent and doesn't seem to be having any trouble keeping up with the workload so far at school-my question is this-has anyone else had a child that after starting middle school or a new school has started having bouts of crying? I asked her what was making her cry and she told me that she didn't know why she was crying. Unfortunately along with the new school her old friends that she's gone to school with since kindergarten don't seem to be in the same classes that she has and if they are they don't sit anywhere near where she's been seated. She told me that she's afraid to raise her hand in class as when she does this she starts to cry but not hard enough for anyone else to really notice or even the teacher to see it either. If anyone has been or has gone through this with their child, please send me a message to let me know how you helped them get through this very difficult adjustment.
Thanks much.

Old 09-21-2004, 01:49 PM   #2
(male)

jeffster HB User
Re: 11 year old entering middle school-crying

I'm not sure, but to me middle school was about a thousand times worse than high school as far as bullies/peer pressure go. There was one guy who used to beat me up on a regular basis and I never told my parents because I was afraid of the guy. Try to find out if there is any verbal/physical bullying going on. I'm not sure how you'd find out, but talking to her, her teachers, her friends is a good start. I remember middle school being so bad that people would get beat up for things like bringing a banana to school, or a certain brand of juice box. Maybe my school was just messed up

Jeff

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 04:30 PM   #3
(female)

Uniquorn HB User

Hi, Worried Mom,
I don't have any answers right now but I'm having a problem with my 12 year old daughter having anxiety at night where she can't sleep. She worries constantly that
something bad will happen to her, me, or her brother. When she worries, she starts to cry or her stomach starts to hurt. So, I'll let you know what I find out, and I'll keep an eye on your post.

Karen

Old 10-04-2004, 06:35 AM   #4

cvangogh HB User

my daugher had a hard time going to middle school. our Jr. high here starts in 7th grade and when she first entered it, i would notice that she would go to bed early on the weekends. she wouldn't hang out with anyone. she slept alot. she just went through the motions. as for crying??? she tends to keep things inside and not think about things so she was probaby sad.. didn't see her cry. 5 months after schools started she started to have panic attacks. they started out real bad. so much so that i couldn't get her out of her room, and when i did, and we got into a car, i couldn't get her out of the car. Paxil and therapy has worked. My suggestion is to get her to a counselor so she can talk. being a teenager theses days is harder than it was for us. kids can be cruel, and they can hack away at other kids self esteem.. especially the girls!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worriedmother
Hello all,
I'm not even certain if this is the correct category but I thought I'd start here. I have an eleven year old daughter who has just entered middle school this year. She's very intelligent and doesn't seem to be having any trouble keeping up with the workload so far at school-my question is this-has anyone else had a child that after starting middle school or a new school has started having bouts of crying? I asked her what was making her cry and she told me that she didn't know why she was crying. Unfortunately along with the new school her old friends that she's gone to school with since kindergarten don't seem to be in the same classes that she has and if they are they don't sit anywhere near where she's been seated. She told me that she's afraid to raise her hand in class as when she does this she starts to cry but not hard enough for anyone else to really notice or even the teacher to see it either. If anyone has been or has gone through this with their child, please send me a message to let me know how you helped them get through this very difficult adjustment.
Thanks much.

Old 10-04-2004, 07:41 AM   #5
(female)

Kime HB User

The teen years are a time of great stress for many, including stress of the growing and changing body. These stresses can lead to deficiencies of vitamins, which can lead to "mental" symptoms. I used to think that just eating a good diet was enough and that it was a waste of time to take vitamins but then this last year one of my children began to suffer from a serious mental illness, and now we have found that this mental illness can be completely controlled with vitamins and diet and now we all take vitamins.

It is difficult sometimes to change the circumstances that your child has to deal with, but giving vitamins to your child will help them to deal with the circumstances. Our son who has the illness has to take very large amounts of a couple of vitamins, but here is what I give our 15 year old son, who is healthy, just for an example.

one B-50 capsule a day in the morning.
250 mg of niacinamide at night.
2 grams of Vitamin C in the morning and 5 at night.
30 mg of zinc a day.

If he was suffering from anxiety I would give him 250-500mg of niacinamide twice a day plus more vitamin C along with the B-50 and the zinc because these two vitamins block excess production of adrenaline, and adrenaline causes feeling of anxiety and panic.

The great thing about vitamin C and niacinamide for anxiety is that if they are going to help they work within a day or two but you have to be sure to take enough because each person is different in how much they need. Our nephew uses them for anxiety and they really help him a lot, and his friends can even tell when he forgets to take them because his behavior changes so much.

Closed Thread