It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2004, 01:31 AM   #1

Apocalypse HB User
when I am in the movies..

Whenever I am watching a movie in the teather I start to feel nervous like I can't breath and like I can't swallow my spit so I don't take any popcorn or anything just water. Then when I drink water I feel like I may choke on it. I know it may sound stupid, but thats how I feel. I also didn't know where to post but most of the time I feel nausea after I eat I feel it whether it be a sensible meal or not.

Old 09-22-2004, 01:05 PM   #2

natalie_ogle HB User
Re: when I am in the movies..

When I was really in deep with the anxiety, the #1 place I was afraid to go was to the movies...still can't explain it but I understand ya there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2004, 02:55 PM   #3

shello HB User
Talking Re: when I am in the movies..

I am so glad you posted that, I too get that way in the movies. I have been pretty much free of attacks, but every now and then when I am in the movies this wave of anxiety just washes over me and I get nervous and upset because my urge is to get up, but then I dont want to leave cause everyone will look at me and then there is always the thought that I dont want to be out there alone.... This does not happen too often, but when it hits me, it hits hard. Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-22-2004, 04:18 PM   #4

Apocalypse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello
I am so glad you posted that, I too get that way in the movies. I have been pretty much free of attacks, but every now and then when I am in the movies this wave of anxiety just washes over me and I get nervous and upset because my urge is to get up, but then I dont want to leave cause everyone will look at me and then there is always the thought that I dont want to be out there alone.... This does not happen too often, but when it hits me, it hits hard. Thanks for sharing.
ya exactly what happens to me. I feel ok when I leave but I try to get into the movie so I can forget but it doesn't work all the tiem

Old 09-23-2004, 01:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

it often helps to sit at the end of a row, near the door, relaxation techniques such as deep slow breathing and tensing and relaxing the musclkes help

Old 09-23-2004, 02:47 PM   #6
(female)

storm12 HB User

I haven't visited the anxiety forum much, as it hasn't occurred to me to do so - but I have a lot in common. However, I don't have much of a problem being in a movie theater. I must admit that I do prefer to sit in an end seat or near the end - and I have anxiety about needing the restroom during the movie - so I don't eat or drink if I can help it for a good hour or two before the movie begins - and I don't eat in the theater, either. If I can just get into a movie and not worry about anything other than the movie, I do fine - it's even a good stress-reliever.

Old 09-23-2004, 08:08 PM   #7

Apocalypse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hry33
it often helps to sit at the end of a row, near the door, relaxation techniques such as deep slow breathing and tensing and relaxing the musclkes help
i'll try that thanks

Old 09-28-2004, 04:34 PM   #8

rose30 HB User

This has happened to me also in the movies.
I have not been to a movie in years
I really do want to go back...but I don't want to have to leave in the middle- and have people looking either.
I do know how you feel and don't feel stupid..many other people feel the same.

Old 10-05-2004, 08:03 PM   #9

Romantic Hero HB User
Question Re: when I am in the movies..

Over the past 6 months I've been becoming aware of my anxiety, and the most fierce place seems to be in the movie theatre as well.

My anxiety seems to manifest itself in the throat. And I often notice that this is contagious. Has anyone ever experienced this? It's like a yawn. When you yawn, often someone else will. Here, when my breathing is shallow in the throat, people seem to adapt it.

At the theatre, people sitting beside or near me seem to mimmick my breathing and get really antsy; As I'm pretty good at remaining calm and ignoring the feelings.

Can anyone explain this to me? Its seems to far out.

Thanks.

Old 10-06-2004, 06:21 PM   #10

stephr217 HB User

This also Happens to me. I have been Panic Attack free for years now but my number one spot for Panic Attacks was at the movies. I now can go without a Major problem but I MUST sit on an Isle seat by the door. Good Luck with your movie going. Your not alone.

Closed Thread