It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2004, 02:48 PM   #1

SaraE10 HB User
Getting out of hand... need help

Hi everyone!
I've never posted here before, probably because I've never actually been diagnosed with anxiety. But I am fairly certain it's something I've been struggling with for the past 4 years. Tell me if this sounds like what any of you deal with.
Most of the time, my anxiety is caused by something in my life, but something very minor that most people wouldn't get so upset over. It's a horrible uneasiness in my stomach that just lingers. It makes my heart speed up and my breathing becomes shortened, which makes me feel like I am hyperventilating. The butterflies in my stomach are the worst part. It's not always triggered by something, though. Sometimes I just get it out of nowhere, for no reason. I used to think it was intuition telling me to avoid something, but now it's gotten out of hand. Sometimes I can't even get up out of bed to get ready for a night out (or any important event), and I just lay there thinking about everything I have to do (simple thing like brushing my hair, getting dressed) and I can't get up and do it because of the nervousness.
Also (and this is the major problem), I have been waking up with this awful feeling. As soon as I come into consciousness in the morning, no matter where I am, I have nerves in my stomach and my heart starts racing. Even if I am comfortably in bed with my boyfriend. Every morning. There are also times when I am trying to fall asleep and I have this feeling, my breathing gets so bad that as soon as I begin to fall asleep I stop breathing. I then awaken with a jolt to catch my breath. It's awful. Do you think it's anxiety? Do you recommend I get put on some kind of medication? I've never even been to a therapist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2004, 03:49 PM   #2

natalie_ogle HB User
Re: Getting out of hand... need help

It does sound like you have a bit of an anxiety disorder but don't let that freak you out. I have had (and still sometimes struggle with) the same things you are explaining like butterflies for no reason, worrying about things that I shouldn't even be worrying, feelings like I can't get enough air in and hyperventilating, racing heart. My anxiety also affected my nights out and relationships with friends.
The thing that I can really relate to is waking up in the morning and instantly having this dreadful feeling like something is wrong and the nerves in the stomach, etc. I absolutely HATED it. Now I have been on meds for 6 months and I wake up in the morning feeling motivated, happy, relaxed, and rarin' to go. (how we should really feel).
I recommend that you do see a specialized doctor for mental health and make sure it is a well respected doctor. Talk to your doctor about how long you've been experiencing this, how often it occurs, how intense it is, what parts of your life it is affecting and he should know whether or not medication is a good idea or not for you. Also, I think that if you can still function without medication you should try therapy or some kind of self-help first. I believe medication should be the last resort.
But if the anxiety is too much to handle and ruining your life I would suggest medication because nobody should suffer like that. I recommend Zoloft if you are to choose your medication. It is what I am on and I've heard some bad things about Paxil and others. I've been working my way up for 6 months from 25 mg to 75 mg (the adult dose is 100mg) and I don't think I will go any higher. I feel that I have had good luck with Zoloft and it has only been 6 months. I really feel like I have gotten my life back. I sure hope this helps!

Old 09-23-2004, 06:29 PM   #3

SaraE10 HB User

Thanks Natalie! What you said is helpful and it's just comforting to know that someone knows what I am talking about. I know the first step is going to see a doctor, and all I have to do is make the phone call. Thanks for your help! And I'm glad you found something that works for you.

Old 09-24-2004, 03:11 PM   #4

natalie_ogle HB User

You're very welcome. It is VERY comforting knowing I'm not the only one out there that feels like this or goes through these things. I went a whole year and a half feeling like I was crazy and all alone on the issue. That is why I like this message board. Anyways good luck! I know that you will find a technique or medicine that puts you at peace again. Just remember that it all takes TIME.

Old 09-24-2004, 06:27 PM   #5
(female)

kjane HB User

I know how you feel. I get social anxiety. Before I have to go to a party or wedding or even in the days leading up to any social occasion, I start to get nervous and have feelings of panic. I can't sleep. I would always try to get out of going out---getting "sick" or picking a fight with my husband. It's such a weird feeling. I talked to my doctor about it and he put me on Lexapro. I have never been better. I have had NO side effects from it and it just takes away those negative feelings. See a doc. It's a terrible way to feel and you don't have to with the meds that are available. Even the lowest dose makes a huge difference. Good luck!!!!

Old 09-25-2004, 12:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to sarah, see a doc as you could have asthma, otherwise its probably anxiety

Old 09-25-2004, 11:42 PM   #7

tinkerbelle1003 HB User

In the past i had feeling like this. i would be driving down the road and suddenly feel like something is wrong, my heart would tighten, like something was trying to tell me something but did not understand it. my hugest problem has always been my stomach, anytime i get a lil nervous over anything, my stomach tears up, and then i just get more freaked out about mighting needing a restroom and not having one around, i also HATE using the RR in public, so it makes the anxiety worse.
I have been to doctors, but no help so far, I just posted not to long ago my story. but soon i will see a doc again since seeing this site, i have learned alot from others that I can talk to my doc about

Old 09-28-2004, 04:22 PM   #8

rose30 HB User

I'm on lexapro now Doc started me off with 10m. I switched from Paxcil. I wanted to get off the Paxcil because I heard really bad things about it. I've been on Lexapro for a week now but still feel
horrible it's an effort for me to do anything these days and working is out of the question...the thing is I'm so bord at home ( and I need and want to work)it makes it worse. All this anxiety makes me feel like I'm going crazy...does anyone else feel this way?

Old 09-28-2004, 05:04 PM   #9

Confused11 HB User
Unhappy Re: Getting out of hand... need help

You aren't the only one hun, I too try to think of stuff to say when people ask me to go out or just hang out with them. I just hope none of them think that I think I am too good to hang out with them or something. I could see that happening. It is so weird though, because when I do go out like when I basically have no other option or way out of it, I end up having a great time. It is just getting me there is the problem. I don't know why I am this way. I don't get sweaty or nervous around people but it definitely has to be some sort of social anxiety.

Old 06-09-2006, 05:03 PM   #10
(female)

tootsie71 HB User

Hello All--new here--- wow -saraE10 you said it girl!! exactly what I go through. Anxiety got a hold of me the day I went to bthe doc for feeling faint and not wanting to eat we then both decided after all labs came back normal that I just had extreme anxiety well ever since then I have had EXTREME anxiety over the fact that I have anxiety stupid huh I know but it truely is my own Hell!!!5 weeks ago I started on Zoloft 25mg. 2 dys later 50mg three days later75mg well on the 10th day I started to feel back to "normal" I went back to work for 2 weeks then BAM here I am again full of anxiety NOT as bad but still bad we think maybe we upped my dose too fast so last eve I lowered it by 12.5 mg I have lost 8 lbs and am so full of anxiety these meds are complicated like did the 75 catch up to me and make me jittery or will I end up needing 100mg. I hate this any advice oh ya in the mean time thak gosh for adivan any suggestions

Old 06-09-2006, 07:32 PM   #11

ms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB User

Please always be sure that the thread you're posting on is an active one.
This thread was started almost two years ago.
If you wish to discuss this topic further please start a new thread.

This thread is now closed.

Ms_Mod

Closed Thread