It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2004, 07:12 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
How many exerience shortness of breath and how long does it last?

Do you go through episodes of it and then the shortness goes away or does it continue?

I have it off and on and I don't understand what causes it. Is it a common symptom of anxiety?

Old 09-27-2004, 08:58 AM   #2
Veteran

bluetooth HB User
Re: How many exerience shortness of breath and how long does it last?

I experience it

it goes away eventually
at an estimate for me it lasts 5-10 mins maybe less

i think its common yes but i think its more related with panic disorders, how ever im not a doctor so i dont really know, i assume

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2004, 09:41 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

tooanxious HB User

Ive been getting these episodes lately. It really sucks becuase its effecting my sleep lately. I wake up and feel like I cant get a big enough breath in. Im not sure if Im hyperventilating or have asthma or something. I am going to a doc today to ask about this. Every time they have checked my lungs though their clear. Also I know that even during these episodes I check my breathing and Im pushing out enough air but it still feels like Im not. Its a horrible feeling. During the day the episodes dont last long but at night it feels like Im hyperventilating in my sleep. Anyone else experience this during sleep?

Last edited by tooanxious; 09-27-2004 at 09:51 AM.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:08 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

tooanxious HB User

I yawn trying to get a big enough breath in also. When I finally get that feeling that I have a big enough breath in Im fine. Sometimes it takes a while to get their and it feels like your suffocating.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:13 AM   #5
Inactive

Yommy HB User

TooAnxious-

If you get any answers when you go to the doc today, please post and let us know! Thanks!

Hundtoft

The Following User Says Thank You to Yommy For This Useful Post:
bel401 (03-30-2012)
Old 09-27-2004, 10:46 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

tooanxious HB User

Hundtoft-

Thanks for the interest! I will for sure update you guys later on. Hope I dont have asthma or some other crap!

Old 09-27-2004, 12:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I know what you mean by waking up in your sleep and feeling unable to breathe. It happens to me also. Also, I have the feeling like I can't take a deep breath. It is a horrible sensation and I wish I knew what it was. It seems to come in and lasts for about two weeks and then I go on to another symptom.

Old 09-27-2004, 02:49 PM   #8

heike65 HB User

Count me amongst all of you with this one. I, too, feel like I can yawn and yawn and never get a full breath. Then, of course, I think "shortness of breath-- a symptom that Clinton had that revealed he had heart problems" and then I'm convinced it's something wrong with my heart. So I start to feel like maybe I'm dying because I'm not going to be able to breathe. Or sometimes when I'm laying in bed reading, I can't take a full breath, so I have to sit up, then usually I get one in and feel better. Sorry we all have these anxiety problems, but I'm relieved I'm not alone here.

Old 09-27-2004, 02:55 PM   #9
(female)

KrFr HB User

I think it is pretty common. I know that is one of the symptoms of my attacks. I recedntly started medication and have stopped (hopefully for good) having the attacks.

Old 09-27-2004, 04:59 PM   #10
(female)

rucnateb HB User

I get it and it tnds to come and go. sometimes I think its my heart but then I get distracted and kind of forget about it an it goes away.so I figure if it was my heart it would get worse with time.also it seems to come when i am stressed out or dont get enough sleep wich makes anxiety worse. I am now med free,was taking paxil for years,and stopped cold turkey. what a mistake that was.oh well.now I am kind of trying not to take anything which is hard. well see.

maria

Old 09-27-2004, 05:33 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

tooanxious HB User

Well my doc said my lungs sounded clear. He said that I have really bad allergies though and that is causing my nose to be stuffed up. He said my nasal passages look 70% blocked. I dont even have a stuffed upped nose (with mucus like a cold) right now either! The passages are just inflamed so its like Im breathing thru a straw. He said that my allergies and nasal stufiness can throw off my breathing at night and make it hard to breathe. So he gave me nasonex which is supposed to keep my nasal passages open. Even if your nose doesnt have mucus in it the passages can still be inflamed and make it hard to breathe. Hope this helps some of you with your symptoms. Get checked by your doc for allergies and see if your nose is causing these symptoms. Hopefully it will help with my shortness of breath and hyperventilating.

Last edited by tooanxious; 09-27-2004 at 05:38 PM.

Old 09-28-2004, 06:45 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Thanks tooanxious. I thought that might be my problem. The shortness of breath did start when my nose became blocked. I took Sudefed and that helped a little. I hope that is all it is with the breathing. My Dr. also said my lungs were clear and that it was not my heart. I get anxious when I hear about people that had shortness of breath and then had heart disease. Let us know how you are doing.

Old 09-30-2004, 11:45 AM   #13

kapualani HB User
Lightbulb Re: How many exerience shortness of breath and how long does it last?

Have you heard of ďChronic Hyperventilation SyndromeĒ? I have been doing a lot of research on the symptoms we all have been having: air hunger, frequent yawning attempts, inability to get a full yawn etc. For me they all point to Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome (HVS). If you have HVS you tend to breath shallow and rapidly when anxious like a scared animal being chased by a predator, causing hyperventilation. There are some helpful web sights about it if you just type it into your search engine. The only thing that differs with my symptoms and the ones in HVS is that I tend to breath slower than most people and even more so when anxious and almost end up holding my breath. So to compensate I yawn and yawn until I begin to hyperventilate (same results). I also think the reason some of us canít get a good yawn is first we donít exhale enough and there isnít room for a yawn when our lungs are already full. Second we tense up and the muscles around our lungs are to tight to allow a full inhale. Sometimes it seems to help loosen those muscles if I exhale a few breaths first before I attempt a yawn. Unfortunately I havenít concurred my problem yet and the only treatment is the exact same stuff for relief of anxiety plus breathing exercises which tend to just make me obsess over my breathing and make things worse. Distracting myself from my breathing seems to be a lot more effective for me. Computers and reading are good distractions for me they act like a form of meditation. If any of this info helps you all let me know and if you have any suggestions on what meds are good for this let me know. The Xanax I have doesnít do much for me.

Thanks

Last edited by kapualani; 10-04-2004 at 08:09 AM. Reason: fix the removed part to comply with rules

Old 09-30-2004, 12:53 PM   #14

kapualani HB User

Karefree,
What Medication helped you stop having breathing problems? The Xanax I'm taking is not helping me much.

Kapualani

Old 09-30-2004, 08:38 PM   #15

Gneaj HB User

During a very stressful period of my life I started to experience shortness of breath. I had the feeling that my throat was tightened. Three months of this saw some improvement.

I got an Advair inhaler and saw more improvement. Now I can go days without having an episode and even when I do it's very mild..

Closed Thread