It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2004, 01:03 PM   #1
(female)

Melba HB User
new here with anxiety issues

I am new here and so glad I stumbled onto this forum. I believe I have major anxiety and could use some kind words.

Generally, I get anxious about everything. If my kids' school buses are even 2 or 3 minutes late, I panic. If my husband isn't in his office when I call and doesn't call me back within a reasonable amount of time...panic. I am always assuming the worst.

I am a major hypchondriac as well and every symptom I have no matter how great or small is cancer. But it doesn't stop with me...I assume the worst about my kids' health as well. One of us will exhibit some symptom that can be explained away with a thousand benign conditions but I fixate on the big C and assume that is what it is. Then I research the internet for hours and hours, walk around in a fog convinced I or someone in the family has it.
Then all of a sudden the house isn't clean, the laundry is piled up and mom is on the internet freaking out over a symptom.

This was pretty much the story of my summer. First my younger daughter had a lymph node go up. Dr. said it was attributed to a bite but I wasn't convinced. Eventually I got over it when she didn't progress to major illness. Then I had an infection that I just knew was something fatal. Then I had chemical trouble with our backyard pool and I was sure we were all breathing radioactive material. It goes on and on....

Yet, I am still able to function and hardly any one knows how I suffer. I am PTA secretary, I teach water aerobics, go to lunch with friends, run kids to after school activities etc. In fact I am better, at least temporarily, when I am out and about. Not that the catastrophy of the day or week isn't on my mind when driving to and fro. I suffer in mostly silence.

Do I start with a family Dr? Will he prescribe meds and do they work? Do I need a therapist? Why do so many of us suffer from anxiety? Is it in the water? (I'm not really looking for an answer for the last 2 questions...more rhetorically asked).

Anyway...thanks for listening. I hope to be part of this forum.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2004, 03:03 PM   #2
(female)

KrFr HB User
Re: new here with anxiety issues

I wonder myself why it seems to be such a common ailment. I don't know but I think it may have to do with our hectic lives. I went to my GP and she prescribed Effexor for me. I too worried about everything. If there was nothing to worry about I worried about what was around the bend because I knew it was coming....I started having panic or anxiety attacks pretty frequently. I had been having them for years but did not recognize them as such and they were infrequent. When it became a weekly thing and I spent the next few days dreading the next one was when I sought help. My dr. gave me effexor xr. They have been a lifesaver for me. No more panic attacks and no undue worry sessions. I would definitely ask the advice of my physician if I were you. Good luck and please post with your progress.

Old 09-27-2004, 06:10 PM   #3
(female)

Melba HB User

Thanks, KareFree, for the supportive reply. I have known for awhile that this anxiety was getting out of hand and that it was time to talk to my Dr. I will ask him about Effexor. It is amazing to me, the amount of friends that I know are using medication to help their anxiety.

Does effexor have any side effects? Is it a once a day thing and is taken AM
or PM? How long were you using it before you felt better?

I am glad that it worked for you. This may seem like a strange question, but how do you handle truly anxious situations while on the medication? Do you find that it is easier to face these situations?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Old 09-28-2004, 08:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

I do know how you feel. I too worry about anything and everything. I have for many years, started on Zoloft about 3 years ago, went off of it last year, then this February had a bad attack and it scared me so bad, I was convinced I had a brain tumor and some heart condition. But after going to the dr, I was prescribed Paxil, which has helped me, but I still find myself worrying about things. That's where I need to make improvements, I know the meds help to a certain point, but I need to work on the worrying. It's tough though. But I am trying to get through it. But if I weren't on the meds, I wouldn't be doing this well. So the meds have helped me, to a point. I guess the rest is up to me. Good luck though, because I do know what you are going through. Hang in there, and I would make an appointment with your regular dr before doing anything else. Hopefully, he/she will be able to help you make the best decision as to what to do next. Keep up posted!

Old 09-28-2004, 11:01 AM   #5
(male)

Glenzo HB User

Hi Melba,

You're definitely not in the minority. Sounds to me in comparison with my own personal exps that you have developed a form of OCD with Anxiety that stems from depression. DR-Meds?Councelling if nec is the best thing to do.

Good Luck

Old 09-28-2004, 11:19 AM   #6
(female)

KrFr HB User

Melba, I haven't had any side effects so I am very lucky. The medication does not make me feel "out of it" at all and I would have appropriate reactions for anything that was truely horrible, I think. I don't obsess or worry about every little thing anymore though. I also have not had any attacks where I could not get my breath or I panicked. I lived in fear of those attacks and it is so nice to not have to worry about those anymore. Good luck. I hope you find what is right for you.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:37 AM   #7
(female)

Melba HB User

Thank you so much for all your caring words. I went to see my GP today...for him to check a benign problem that I was sure was worse. After reassuring me, and rechecking my blood pressure as it was high prior to his reassurance (and had gone down the second time), we talked all about my anxiety. He too, thought OCD, anxiety and depression (good call Glenzo!) and prescribed Zoloft. I don't know much about it except for the classic cartoon egg on the commercial on TV. He said to start it today and I have a follow up in 5 weeks.

I am sure there are many threads about different medications but, quickly...do you all have an opinion on Zoloft?

Thanks again!

Old 09-29-2004, 03:04 PM   #8
(female)

KrFr HB User

I personally have not but there are many threads about it. I wish you good luck and hope that it is the right medication for you.

Old 10-01-2004, 02:27 PM   #9
(male)

Glenzo HB User

Hi Melba,

As co-incidence has it I take Zoloft 50mg. I started this about a 3-4 weeks ago as I'd been taking Celexa (citalopram) for a couple of years and my anxiety never stablised on it. At present I'm not the best but certainly not the worst, my anxiety has improved but I hope it will further. Will stick with the new meds for the time being, along with the occasional Diazepam 5mg to pull me out of a hole.

It's worth noting for me personally the Zoloft (sertraline) hasn't shown the side effects like the celexa. I never even felt any with switchng drugs which are both types of ssris.

Kind wishes,

Glenzo

ps. side effects of starting ssris are commonly nausea/digestive disturbances/loss of apetite and can heighten your symptoms for perhaps up to a week or two. Don't worry also if you find they make you sweat a little heavier.

Old 10-02-2004, 09:57 AM   #10

Campbell HB User

Hi -
The worse I had with the Zoloft was the digestive disturbances. Which in time went away. Remember, your body is adjusting to a new med. You have to give it time. It worked great for me and you can't get addicted to it. Other than that, I gained weight - but it was water weight. Once I went off of it, the weight went away. (I DO regret going off of it, but we are TTC (trying to conceive)) I have considered going back on it once we are fortunate enough to conceive - but I will have to wait and see how that goes at the time. Right now, I DO wish I was back on it, my anxiety returned as I hoped it would not have, but for now I manage the best I can. In fact, most days I am trying to work through it. Please - give it a try. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 10-04-2004, 01:50 PM   #11
(male)

curt34 HB User

All I can add is to tell you not to tinker with your meds once you have found some relief. I suffer from the same fears of cancers, terminal illness, OCD etc. I finally stabilized and was doing great on 40mg of Paxil so I decided I could back off to 20 mg. Big mistake. My anxiety and OCD are back heavy and I'm kicking myself in the butt for messing with my meds without my doctors opinion. Now I'm completely consumerd with the fear of having stomach cancer. So, keep your doc informed of what your doing and why and If something is working don't mess with it!

C Lynch

Closed Thread