It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2004, 05:36 AM   #1

thexmen HB User
Embarrased

Im going to my first pscy visit friday and im very nervous, embarrased, and scared. help.

Old 09-29-2004, 06:34 AM   #2

Lisa-Jane HB User
Re: Embarrased

Hi there,

It's natural to be nervous, I was the first time I went. Just try and remember that they are there to help you, they are on your side. Don't be embarrassed , just tell them everything, even if you think it sounds silly,they've heard it all before and the more honestly you talk to them the better they can help you.

Take care and let us know how it goes, you'll be fine.

Lisa-jane

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2004, 11:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

elatedgiraffe HB User

Thexman--
Hey, everyone is nervous when going to the doctor, especially a psyc. doctor. So being a little nervous is normal. As far as being embaressed, going to the psyc. is just like going to the Dr. for headaches. Mental illness is treated just like a physical illness. I know it has a stigma attached to it. But many many people need help with their head. Look at these boards. Its becoming normal to have periods in life where one has to seek a psyc. Nothing for you to feel ashamed of.

Don't be scared. The psyc. will have you fill out the usual paper work. Then the psyc. will ask you what your symptoms are. Then the psyc. will probably make a diagnosis and prescribe some meds. The psyc. may also refer you to a counslor. Then your all done. So try not to stress too much about it. Keep us posted and tell us how it went.

Old 09-29-2004, 01:19 PM   #4

weight39 HB User

I see mine, for the first time, next week. I'm looking forward to it. Anyway, good luck.

Old 09-29-2004, 02:12 PM   #5

PPPM HB User

If you accept the proposition that there is nothing to be embarrassed about by going to a medical doctor, and also accept that the mind is far more complicated than the body, so that when there is a problem with the mind, it needs that much more attention, and finally that Psychiatrists and psychologists are professionals, whose sole purpose is to help YOU, then you should have no problem with your first visit.

Good Luck

John

Closed Thread