It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2004, 09:41 PM   #1

Forgiven77 HB User
Arrow What type of doctor is the best to see about anxiety?

Hi everyone i dont think i have ever posted here before b/c i havent been told that i have anxiety, but i have been told i have ibs and since i have heard that anxiety can sometimes take different routes in your body i think it may have something to do with my ibs. My dad has anxiety his big fear is fear of heights and i didnt start getting a phobia till a few years ago around the age 12 im now 15 i have a fear of tight spaces i freak out even when i get a cat scan. Anyways i have heard stories about people getting ibs b/c of anxiety and considering im always tense, clicking my pen, shaking my foot or leg and i can never just relax i think it may have something to do with it??? Im also having chest pains which i use to get ever once in a while about 2 years ago but now it seems as if i get them everyday or at least every week. B/c my gastro whos spos to be the best in town doesnt know what to do and supposedly its not my thyroid, im going to go to a obgyn but until i do i just need some info on having anxiety.

Is there a certain way to see if you have anxiety? Is it a diagnoses? What doctor would be the best to see? Can anxiety run in the family?

What should i do from here?- Kira

Last edited by Forgiven77; 10-08-2004 at 09:44 PM.

Old 10-08-2004, 10:32 PM   #2
Inactive

Josh McGrath HB User
Re: What type of doctor is the best to see about anxiety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgiven77

Is there a certain way to see if you have anxiety? Is it a diagnoses? What doctor would be the best to see? Can anxiety run in the family?

What should i do from here?- Kira

You're regular doctor can give you meds for anxiety. Like they always do almost before saying 'hello'.

However, I THINK that only a psychiatrist can diagnose anxiety. Im not sure on that though. Your primary doc might be able to.

I think anxiety can run in families. Hell, depression does! Panic disorder does also!

My best description of anxiety is: constant worrying about something or everything. Not just normal worrying. Constantly worrying to the point of being miserable.. (sorry, poor description.)

Go to yahoo and type in "anxiety symptoms". But a doc is best.

-Josh- my alias

btw, I like the name Kira, thats perty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2004, 11:31 PM   #3

TWISTED II HB User

there isn't an anxiety test or anything. you just rule serious stuff out, and by your behavior, the Dr can kinda tell. my PCP diagnosed me first, didn't send me to anyone else either. i went to a Psychologist on my own. he just talks. psychiatrist can give you meds, along with your PCP.

Old 10-09-2004, 06:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

It's always best to see your family Doctor first just to rule out other causes for what you're feeling.
A good Doctor will do these tests and not just say you have anxiety and shove pills at you,
They may be hard to find but they are out there because I have one...he did every test under the sun before he told me that what I had was panic disorder.
There is no "test" so to speak for panic disorder.
Yes, it can run in families...it runs in mine.

Old 10-09-2004, 10:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to forgiven,
learning stress managment skills and how to relax will also help a lot, you have claustrophobia and can be desensitised from this

yes anxiety often does run in families

Closed Thread