It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2004, 10:38 PM   #1
Inactive

Josh McGrath HB User
Anxiety sufferers: describe anxiety

I have horrible what I am pretty sure is anxiety... can ya'll that have been diagnosed describe what happens in your mind to be called 'anxiety'?

I feel very tense in my brain, I frequently think about some things that happened (bad things) over and over and over...and over... not abuse...just stupid little things

Last edited by Josh McGrath; 10-28-2004 at 10:39 PM.

Old 10-29-2004, 05:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LittleRose1982 HB User
Re: Anxiety sufferers: describe anxiety

You may very well have anxiety- or maybe just obsessive thoughts. For me, it's definitely a physical feeling. I have a feeling in my stomach that's like a constant dull adrenaline rush, and it's so unsettling. My breathing gets short- and actually sometimes I will completely stop breathing without realizing it. I get light-headed trying to compensate for the short breathing, which in turn worsens the stomach feeling!
You could have these symptoms all the time, or just when you are thinking about something and dwelling on it. But it's like a constant fear, and intuition that something awful is going to happen. Sometimes it's incapacitating to the point where I can't get out of bed. But laying in bed doesn't give me comfort either. It truly is torture!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2004, 05:53 AM   #3

Marisa68 HB User

I feel like a fight/flight sensation. Like I'm panicked but theres nothing to be panicked about. For me it's constant and have to remind myself to relax all the time. I'm going to try meds cause it's driving me crazy. I just wish I could feel the way I felt 2 years ago...normal!

Old 10-29-2004, 09:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

It is a constant fear that something bad is going to happen or that I or someone in my family is going to die.

This fear brings about all kinds of physical symptoms: shortness of breath, chest discomfort, muscle stiffness, dizziness, sweats, frequent urination and IBS - just to name a few.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

IMO the best word is fear
we are all more fearful and frightened than we need to be

Old 10-29-2004, 06:32 PM   #6
Inactive

Josh McGrath HB User

most of those symptoms sound like panic/anxiety attack symptoms. I have had those in the past. And yes, it is miserable!

I was actually wondering about the general term anxiety.

Old 10-30-2004, 03:19 PM   #7
(female)

Moonrize HB User

I have been battling with anxiety for over 20 years now,before anyone really knew what it was!Insomnia,heart palpitations,restlessness,fear,tension,n ervousness...I've had it all...
Now that I am in my 40's,it has gotten alot better and xanax does help alot,but as soon as a very stressful situation occurs,WHAM,anxiety and panic come back full swing.Right now I have been battling some sort of illness that no one can diagnose and my son has been ill also,and nothing seems normal.Today I feel like I am in a fog,everything is surreal,and I hate this feeling.I know I am not seriously ill,nor is my son,but the big change in routine these illnesses have caused have really put me back in anxiety mode big time.I know it's illogical but you can't tell an anxiety ridden mind that there is nothing to worry about,doesn't work!
I have been on paxil,effexor,zoloft,buspar but they all made me big time sick.I've read about Cymbalta on here,is this something new?
Thanks!

Old 11-01-2004, 10:53 PM   #8
Inactive

Josh McGrath HB User

The more I have been thinking about it, I do fear that something bad will happen when I break my constant thoughts down... so I guess I do have anxiety symptoms...

Old 11-03-2004, 01:08 PM   #9

rose30 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa68
I feel like a fight/flight sensation. Like I'm panicked but theres nothing to be panicked about. For me it's constant and have to remind myself to relax all the time. I'm going to try meds cause it's driving me crazy. I just wish I could feel the way I felt 2 years ago...normal!
This is exactly how I feel.
I feel it all over in my arms, legs
and it's extremly annoying because there is nothing to
be panicked about.

Old 11-05-2004, 07:46 AM   #10

design_eye HB User

Unsettling feelings, queesy stomach, tense shoulders and back, palpatations, tingling in some extremeties, shortness of breath, which all leads (at least for me) the need to rush to the ER because there's that fear of dying any moment...

Old 11-05-2004, 08:16 AM   #11

redherring HB User

Mine is uneasiness, butterflies in the stomach and chest, a feeling of doom and gloom, fear of fainting or going nuts! Feeling like I can't breath.

Old 11-05-2004, 08:38 AM   #12
(female)

sweet_chic HB User

Well, I haven't actually been diagnosed with anxiety or anything...but I think that I have it.

Unlike some of the posters on this board, my anxiety comes and goes. I don't wake up with it, or go to sleep with it. Mine is usually triggered by some social situations. It's more like speaking in public and big groups...especially in class. I don't know why, but I get REALLY REALLY nervous when raising my hand to say a comment, or just speaking in big groups. But otherwise, I'll be completely fine and normal speaking with people one on one and in smaller groups. But big groups, speeches, public speaking...etc...forget it. I'm a nervous wreck! I think mine is more like some form of social anxiety disorder. My symptoms when I'm about to answer a question in a large group, or about to make a comment are: strong butterflies in my stomach, my heart races (sometimes to the point where I can actually hear it!), my breathing gets faster and even while I'm speaking I'll forget to breath so I get out of breath...it really is embarrassing, I'll start to tremble and shake in my extremities (ie. fingers, hands), I can't think straight, I feel a fight/flight sensation. These are just some of the symptoms I experience. Even when I DO start to talk or make a comment in a large group, my voice will sometimes shake or tremble. I don't know if anyone else can notice it, but I surely do. To everyone else, I may LOOK perfectly fine and normal, but inside I'm scared to death! It's awful! Even when I tell myself to "calm down" or to "relax", it doesn't help much. Sometimes, I even do deep breathing, but that's hard when you're secretly hyperventilating. ughghg...It drives me NUTS!!

I'm not sure if my "anxiety" is simply a social thing or just generalized anxiety disorder, because sometimes at my desk, I'll be sitting at my computer, and then I'll just think of something and all of a sudden I'll get butterflies in my stomach for apparently NO reason at all!! It's crazy!

I used to think that my symptoms were "normal", or just a sign of me being a "shy" person, or just "stage fright". But the older I get, the more I start to think that maybe my symptoms AREN'T normal. I'm a psychology major in school, so I should know. It's not like I'm afraid of what people will say about me when I speak, or that people will laugh at me. That's not it at all! I think I'm more afraid of saying the wrong thing, or loosing my train of thought (which happens often when I'm in my "panic" state). It's crazy. I just wish there were some magic pill I could take that could cure this. I'm very smart, and I have a lot of good ideas in my head, but when I don't say much people can think that I'm "shy" (when I don't think I'm really all that shy), or that I'm not "intelligent" (when I know that's not the case).

I've heard that when your body is in a constant state of "fight/flight" it can really mess up your physical health. It's not good for your body in the long run to be in a constant fight/flight stage. It's almost like my sympathetic nervous system is working overtime!

I need some help. Any advice?

Old 11-05-2004, 11:26 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

My worst anxiety related symptom is constant shortness of breath. I'm still trying to convince myself(after more than a year) that this is caused by anxiety. I also experience chest pressure, tachycardia, palpitations, lightheadedness(I've actually passed out a few times), and numbness/tingling on a daily basis. I've also been getting the "flight or fight" sensation more and more lately. I feel "on edge" most of the time.

I am also constantly battling with my fears of death and illness. I keep thinking my symptoms have to be related to some horrible disease.

Last edited by hilery79; 11-05-2004 at 11:29 AM.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:26 PM   #14
(female)

pharmgirl06 HB User

I have been having constant shortness of breath and chest tightness for about a year now too. I have had just about every test to figure out what is wrong. They are all normal. I guess it could be anxiety/panic, but I don't consciously feel anxious. I have tried Klonopin and Zoloft. Neither of them made my shortness of breath improve. I am so tired of feeling bad. There has to be a treatment for this. Has anything helped you? {REMOVED} Maybe we can help each other.

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-06-2004 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Please don't provide off board contact information.

Old 12-07-2004, 02:39 PM   #15
Veteran

bluetooth HB User

anxiety.. i feel nervous alot. sometimes i can stop breathing too without realizing it. when its bad i feel light headed. anxiety for me includes alot of fear as well, especially in social situations. my palms sweat also and i feel like i cant breathe properly

Closed Thread