It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2004, 12:24 PM   #1
(female)

dizzyone HB User
Unhappy Anxiety and stomach problems?

I have been having lots of anxiety due to the fact that the doctors are trying to find why I have been having some lightededness and light dizziness. I have had some tests but the major ones the MRI won,t be until Jan. So I have been a basket case, I am trying to work because my doctor will not book me off for more than 2 weeks, and this makes me more anxious, everything right about now make me anxious. My stomach has really be bugging me, its doing flip flops, it feels like its getting a hole burned into it, og course then I don,t want to eat. This even happens at night I wake up and its burning, antacids make it a little better but it comes back. I see the doctor soon and I will mention it to her, but wondered if anyone had the some problem. My doctor gave me some Ativan to try, I do notice that if I take one my stomach does seen quite a bit better, but I,m not taking them everyday so on the days I don,t take any my stomach bugs me again. Sandra

Last edited by dizzyone; 11-04-2004 at 12:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2004, 03:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Anxiety and stomach problems?

look up acid reflux and GERD on the net, some meds are helpful, its often caused by anxiety

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2004, 11:31 PM   #3

cathy52 HB User

There is a hormone secreted in the stomach when there is too much stomach acid. This hormone can cause extreme anxiety. I have been going through pretty much the same thing you have. It started out with dizzy feelings then a little vertigo and within 6 months I was so fatigued I could hardly get off the couch. My stomach was hurting also but I attributed that to stress over the unknown cause of the dizziness and the rest of my symptoms.

As it turned out I tested positive for H-pylori and blood was found in my stool. I had ulcers and they were bleeding!! I went through MRI, abdominal scan and pages and pages of blood work and nothing ever showed up. The more anxious I became the more my stomach would hurt. As it turned out it was the other way around...the more acid I had in my stomach the more anxious I was.

If your doctor has not considered the possibility that you might have something like acid reflux, GERD or an ulcer I would bring the possibility up to him/her. Good luck!

Old 11-05-2004, 08:03 AM   #4
(female)

dizzyone HB User

Cathy52. I will have to go to the doctors because this is very annoying it's ending up waking me up in the night. Did you ever find out what the dizziness was caused by. I have had this dizziness for quite a while before this stomach pain, now I still have the dizziness lightheadedness but was assuming that the stomach pain was from the anxiety, or ulcers from the worry. Do you still have all these symptoms or did they go away. I feel like I,m going crazy with all these things happening at the same time. Sandra

Old 11-05-2004, 11:22 AM   #5

cathy52 HB User

Sandra, my dizziness and vertigo were caused by Meneire's Disease which was diagnosed in June. I had started having the stomach problems in April and the dizziness started back in January. It took 5 months to diagnose the Meneire's and by the time they did I was so stressed out with worry that I think it just excaserbated the stomach problem and made it worse.

I think it is a combination of a lot of things that brings on the symptoms. I can look back now and realize that last summer I was having some stomach problems. Nothing major so I didn't pay attention to it. I honestly believe that the stomach problem came first. I remember being in the grocery store one day and having a bad pain in my stomach. It was immediately followed by some pretty heavy anxiety. I didn't associate the two and wondered why the hell I was feeling so anxious...you know, what am I worried about, why do I feel so light headed.

When I was diagnosed with the Meneire's and started meds for that I thought the dizziness would go away. It did releive a lot of it but not all and then that was just more to worry about....stomach hurting, still dizzy and feeling like I was going crazy cause of the anxiety.

Like I've said before, I had extensive blood work and nothing showed up. One night I decided to get all that info out and go through my labs myself. I came across where it tested positive for H-pylori and went in to see the doctor the next day. Pretty frustrating when a doctor misses something like that.

He put me on prevpac for the H-pylori. I've been on it for 10 days now and I feel 90% better than I did. Very little anxiety, no stomach pain and my head is so much clearer. I've actually been amazed while doing research at all the symptoms that ulcers can cause.

The only thing I can tell you is that, the more you worry the worse you are going to feel. I nearly worried myself right into the grave!! Anxiety and stomach problems feed off of each other. Stomach pain=worry=anxiety, anxiety=worry=stomach pain.

Relax your mind, insist on the doctor doing the ulcer testing and if taking the Ativan every day will increase your quality of life then take it. Good luck!
Cathy

Closed Thread