It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2004, 02:24 PM   #1
Veteran

howard678 HB User
best beta blocker for anxiety

I have Lopressor and have taken a small dose when panic sets in, 12.5. It is a Godsend as it always stops the palps and lowers my bp fast. BUT, it does nothing for the rest of my anxiety symptoms, tremor, tight throat, dry mouth, troulbe swallowing, etc. Is there another type that would cover more symptoms?? One advantage of the Lopressor is I have zero side effects from it.

Old 11-25-2004, 06:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: best beta blocker for anxiety

is there a best? I dare to say that the best for one my be the worst for others.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2004, 02:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

find out the dose range of lopressor, perhaps you could take more, it usually lowers your blood pressure and you obviously dont want it to go too low

these beta blocker meds help with the physical but not mental problems from panic attacks and anxiety, they are all out of patent so arent advertised and many docs dont think of them

Old 11-27-2004, 01:58 PM   #4
Veteran

howard678 HB User

Which one is better, Ideral or Lopressor? So many talk about Inderal but my doc gave me Lopressor. It handles heart symptoms but does nothing for the shakes, dry mouth, or muscle tightness.

Old 11-28-2004, 02:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

you may need to try several in order to find the 1 that suits you best

Old 12-04-2004, 06:59 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

tooanxious HB User

Anyone use torpol xl for anxiety problems? I was given this by my doc for the racing heart.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

VegasGirl HB User

I take the Toprol...25 mg in the morning and 25 mg at night...keeps my heart rate normal most of the time. I take Xanax at night (0.5 mg) because mine seems to be worse at night.

Old 12-08-2004, 12:41 AM   #8
Veteran

howard678 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGirl
I take the Toprol...25 mg in the morning and 25 mg at night...keeps my heart rate normal most of the time. I take Xanax at night (0.5 mg) because mine seems to be worse at night.
Hey Vegas Girl. I take 25 mgs of Toprol a day. It is good stuff. Takes are roaring panic attack to break through it and even then it my vitals do not get ridiculously high.

On the Xanax. Got to do my duty here. Benzos rip some of us (not all) to shreds. You just do not want to know about these withdrawals. You lose yourself, out of the game of life. I tapered off 10 weeks ago and am still paying. If you have been taking them less than a few months you can probably quit with no withdrawals. However if you are dependant on it but not in tolerance, I would not say get off it. No point in unleashing the gates of hell for no reason.

Old 12-08-2004, 07:06 AM   #9
(male)

xpress80 HB User

but what if my heartbeat is already 50bpm, could I still be taking beta blockers for anxiety? or is xanax a better option?

Old 12-08-2004, 07:31 PM   #10
Veteran

howard678 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpress80
but what if my heartbeat is already 50bpm, could I still be taking beta blockers for anxiety? or is xanax a better option?
Xanax... Do not just go by my experience of having my life put on hold long term and body damaged as a result of following a doctor`s directives, look around the net under benzo withdrawal and you will find many cases like mine and medical studies, some of which led to prescribing reforms in the U.K.

You heart rate is 50 bpms and you have anxiety... Does it ever go way up? Beta blockers mainly just block adrenaline rushes on the heart. They also seem to work on tremor but technically do little to address anxiety itself. If your anxiety is not debilitating then your best option would be CBT therapy I`d say. If it is debilitating then I`d try Buspar, and if that does not work, an SSRI anti-depressant. It just is not wise IMO to use these sorts of meds only to improve the quality of a functional life. There are too many problems associated with many of them, including the fact that they often can quit working, plus can have some ugly withdrawal syndromes.

Last edited by howard678; 12-08-2004 at 07:34 PM.

Old 12-08-2004, 08:46 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

I've been taking toprol xl for a year now due to tachycardia. I started out on 100mg, but my bp dropped too low(it was running 80/50). I took 50mg for several months and I'm now taking 25mg. This med does help lower my heart rate, but I don't like the side effects. I've tried to stop taking it several times, but each time I try to taper off of it my heart rate sky rockets. I know a lot of people don't experience any side effects with this med, but I've had lightheadedness(due to a lower bp), hand and feet numbness, and severe fatigue since taking Toprol. Thankfully, the symptoms aren't quite as severe since I'm taking a smaller dose.

Old 12-08-2004, 09:35 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

tooanxious HB User

Wow I guess toprol xl is a popular med. This medicine also made me feel lethargic and gave me dizziness feelings at times. No medicine is perfect or without side effects though. It does have a dramatic effect on my heart too.

Last edited by tooanxious; 12-08-2004 at 09:35 PM.

Old 12-08-2004, 09:43 PM   #13
Veteran

howard678 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilery79
I've been taking toprol xl for a year now due to tachycardia. I started out on 100mg, but my bp dropped too low(it was running 80/50). I took 50mg for several months and I'm now taking 25mg. This med does help lower my heart rate, but I don't like the side effects. I've tried to stop taking it several times, but each time I try to taper off of it my heart rate sky rockets. I know a lot of people don't experience any side effects with this med, but I've had lightheadedness(due to a lower bp), hand and feet numbness, and severe fatigue since taking Toprol. Thankfully, the symptoms aren't quite as severe since I'm taking a smaller dose.
It is a good med. I get side effects too though. Have you tried tapering off of it slowly? I have done it once. Worked out fine. Went from 25 mgs to 18.75 to 12.5 to 6.25 to 3.125 then stop. Made cuts about every 5 days. You need a pill cutter and a pill crusher for the last parts.

Old 12-26-2004, 07:39 PM   #14

BiBi57 HB User

atenolol works well for me. It helps my hypertension and helps the anxiety, keeps my pulse rate down. It has side effects though, lethargy, depression, for some people. On a low dose thought you would probably be fine.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:13 AM   #15
(female)

lafemmenixita HB User

To Howard678-
Your post about withdrawals concerns me deeply as I have been taking Xanax for about 2 solid years. Do you have suggestions for when I am ready to go off it?

Closed Thread