It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2004, 04:31 PM   #1

stacyt88 HB User
Arrow Clonazepam Users

Hi! I've been taking Clonazepam for a little over a month now. Started on .25mg before bed - increased to .5mg before bed and in morning after about 2 weeks. Doctor says I can take up to 3 tablets per day - trying to just stay with the 2 tablets, since I keep hearing how addictive this drug is. It seems like mid-afternoon I start getting really edgy and almost nervous feeling - wondering if I should add 3rd dose in the afternoon. I don't know if I should try on an 8-hour schedule, or if it matters (or take .5mg when i get up, another mid-afternoon, and another before bed). Any thoughts or experiences, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-13-2004, 04:41 PM   #2
(female)

tmarie HB User
Re: Clonazepam Users

I have been on it for about 2 weeks. My doc wanted me to start off with 0.5 mg a day then up it to twice a day. I have not noticed a change with it. I am going to see him next week and will talk to him more about it. I am on lexapro also and wonder if that is what is causing me the anxiety. I also take birth control for medical reasons (endometrosis) and wonder if that could be it In my past experience, bc has made me very irritable and short tempered and I stopped taking it for a while. I will talk to doc about it all on my next visit...Oh ya, I had my thyroid checked and that came back ok!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2004, 06:52 PM   #3

stacyt88 HB User

So you take .5mg twice a day and haven't noticed a difference?? I definitely feel more relaxed, and more sociable as well. Are you taking it for anxiety or panic attacks?? I'm on it for GAD - and have noticed a difference in the fact that I am more calm, sociable, and relaxed the majority of the time - just feel like I might need to add that third dose to get through the WHOLE day!! Keep me posted - Stacy

Old 12-13-2004, 09:33 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

CyberNick HB User

With responsible use, Klonopin (aka. Clonazapem) can do wonders for most of the physical symptoms of anxiety. I've been taking it for almost a year now for GAD/SAD, and it does do wonders. When I have bad days and get really anxious I get the shakes and really horrible muscle tension, but after taking Clonazapem it really helps out my symptoms HUGELY. I don't know what I'd do without this drug.

I tried to take Lexapro for more of a long term solution and to get off of Klonopin (also due to fear of addiction), but after taking it for about 3 months it did nothing for me. I decided to recently try Paxil as well and have been on it for almost 2 weeks, but haven't noticed any change yet besides slightly increased anxiety. I really don't want Klonopin to be my only option, but I also like you only take .5 mg (in the morning) a day and it's been working like it always has, meaning it doesn't seem like I've built any tolerance to it or a need to increase the doseage. .5 mg/day is a very tiny dose respectively, although any dose of Klonopin can have withdrawal effects if used for a duration.

You asked about maybe an 8-hour schedule for your doses? I'd recommend taking one in the morning, one in the afternoon and maybe one in the evening like you said if your current doses just aren't cutting it. I take .25 when I wake up and .25 in the evening before bed and it works pretty well. You could always try upping the dose slightly if you're getting too shaky by the the afternoon time, especially if your doctor OK's it. I understand the fear of going on a potentially addicting medication, but you have to kind of weight out the goods and bads when it comes to something like quality of life. If you're not feeling good and there's a med that helps you feel better, I see no reason to lower your quality of life just because of a fear of the meds.

About the addictive qualities of Klonopin, you have to remember that the reason you see so many horror stories about it on the internet (along with horror stories about many other meds) is because the people who have bad experiences with the drug are the ones who are also more likely to post or complain about it. You're usually not going to see many people on a healthboard praising a drug or discussing how it changed their life, since they're most likely out living their lives happily instead of browsing a forum to complain. And remember also that everyone's body is different. Some people do have a hard time getting off of Benzo's, but other people have no trouble at all. It's all about knowing your body.

Also, if you ever decide that you want to be off of Klonopin your doctor can help you with adhering to a tapering schedule to get off of the med safely and with usually little stress. Many people taper off of Klonopin with very little side effects, since the medication is gradually being diminished from their system as opposed to just going off of it "cold-turkey."

Best of luck with your anxiety, and happy holidays .

-Nick

Old 12-16-2004, 05:52 AM   #5

stacyt88 HB User

Nick -
Thanks for all your information - I really appreciate it!! I think I am going to try to continue with the .5mg when I get up and before I go to bed, and maybe add .25mg after lunchtime since that is when I'm starting to feel the "anxiety" again - I'll see how that goes. I guess if needed I can add the .5mg in the afternoon - but I think I'll start with the .25mg and see if that is enough to take the edge off.

How long have you been on the Klonopin?? Before Klonopin I tried just about every antidepressant known to man and had either unbearable side effects - or worsening depression than what I thought I had to begin with. Finally went to new MD and she says that she didn't think depression was the problem at all, GAD/SAD was the problem. Took me off all antidepressants and switched me to the Klonopin and I have had much better results and feel so much better the majority of the time.

Thanks for responding - keep in touch, and Happy Holidays to you!!

Old 12-16-2004, 01:34 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

CyberNick HB User

I also figured I had depression too, but then I realized it was pretty much completely the SAD/GAD that was causing my depression. Of course when you feel like you're gonna have a panic attack or pass out every time you leave the house it might cause you to get a little depressed , which was pretty much my situation. I knew I would most-likely need some type of medication, since Anxiety/Depression runs in my family (mother and grandmother).

Also though, many SSRI drugs (Zoloft, Lexapro, Paxil, etc.) treat both depression and anxiety disorders, as you probably already know. How long were you on an anti-depressant before you quit because of the unbearable side effects? What doctors usually don't tell you (and I'm not sure why they don't tell you) is that initially AD's can cause increased anxiety like you wouldn't believe. I first tried Lexapro about a year ago and I didn't really have any side effects besides fatigue, but it just didn't work at all for my anxiety. Now I've been on Paxil a little over 2 weeks, and those 2 weeks were almost unbearable. But now I feel myself kind of going over the hump, and my GAD/SAD is actually getting noticeably better. The reason I'm asking you this is because sometimes once you get past what seems the "unbearable" side effects, the drug actually does help significantly in a lot of cases: it's just the initial side effects that freak people out and make them stop taking the med.

I've been on Klonopin for a little over a year. My doctor has notified me of the risk for addiction/withdrawals, but he says it is possible to take the med long term if necessary. He doesn't recommend it though, which is why he keeps pressing other drugs on me as alternatives. Hopefully if the Paxil keeps continuing to improve my SAD, I can eventually taper off of Klonopin slowly and rely solely on the Paxil.

Good luck with your anxiety, I know exactly what you're going through hehe. Sounds like everything's going good for you though .

-Nick

Old 12-16-2004, 03:07 PM   #7

stacyt88 HB User

I was on and off the AD's for about six years altogether. It was just more than I could handle, you know what I mean??!!! I made a promise to myself that I would never go on an AD ever again - they were just too much for me!! I'm gonna try adding the extra dose of the Klonopin this weekend and see how that goes. Like I've said, it definitely settles me down and makes me feel more outgoing and sociable - but I have noticed that when it starts wearing off I am unbearable. Feel very irritable and everything seems to get on my nerves - develop a real attitude problem!! Hopefully adding the extra dose will stop that!! I haven't been back to my Dr since I started on it - don't go back till March, so that should be plenty of time to see how it is working. How are you getting along?? I hope the Paxil works for you. I was on Paxil for awhile and slept probably 8 hours in a week, instead of a night. That, in turn, caused me to get run down, sick, etc. Another one "bites the dust"!!! Good luck!!!

Old 12-16-2004, 05:14 PM   #8
(female)

wren2ca HB User

Hi. My doc just put me on Clonazepam this past week due to anxiety/panic. I've also just started Celexa.

The Clonazepam pills I have are 0.5mg with instructions to take one twice a day.

The first morning I took only one/half pill, and it put me to sleep for three hours. I tried another half pill early evening and the same thing happened.

Now I've tried taking 1/4 pill in the morning, and taking a 1/4 pill spaced out during the day at about 5 hour intervals. That's sort of working, I guess.

I certainly couldn't take a whole 0.5mg pill as per the instructions and continue with my day.

Anyone have any thoughts or similar experience?

Thanks
Debbie

Old 12-16-2004, 05:44 PM   #9
(female)

kali23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wren2ca
Hi. My doc just put me on Clonazepam this past week due to anxiety/panic. I've also just started Celexa.

The Clonazepam pills I have are 0.5mg with instructions to take one twice a day.

The first morning I took only one/half pill, and it put me to sleep for three hours. I tried another half pill early evening and the same thing happened.

Now I've tried taking 1/4 pill in the morning, and taking a 1/4 pill spaced out during the day at about 5 hour intervals. That's sort of working, I guess.

I certainly couldn't take a whole 0.5mg pill as per the instructions and continue with my day.

Anyone have any thoughts or similar experience?

Thanks
Debbie
Hi Debbie, I am taking Clonazapam as well as Lexapro, and I have noticed that same reaction to the Clonazapam. I haven't actually gone to sleep, but once I take it, I can't stop yawning, and I just want to curl up and go to bed. Even though the label on the Clonazapam said 0.5 twice daily, I have started using it on an "as needed" basis. I take my Lexapro daily as perscribed, and I only take the Clonazapam when I have unbearable anxiety that is going to keep me from performing my normal duties. For example, today at work I started having a panic attack, so I took a Clonazapam, and it helped. I still felt tired, but I was able to finish my day without freaking out. Also, I normally only take half a pill when I do take one, which isn't quite as bad. (Although I see that you've already tried that, and it still brought on the sleepiness.)

Depending on your level of anxiety, I would try only taking the Clonazapam when it's necessary, and relying on the Celexa (if it has begun working) for the majority of your time. Because the Clonazapam is fast-acting, you do not have to build up the medication in your system before it begins to work. That's why it's good for panic attacks - it only takes about 15 minutes to kick in regardless of when you last took one. Don't know if this helps, but this is my personal experince. Let us know how it goes!

Last edited by kali23; 12-16-2004 at 05:46 PM.

Old 12-17-2004, 09:38 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

CyberNick HB User

Yeah, from what I've read of people who take Klonopin it seems like there's very different results for every person. I take .5mg a day and have been for over a year now, and it really settles me down and calms my muscle tension. When I first took it it would really make me sleepy and I could barely keep my eyes open in my classes, but after the first initial weeks that stopped. But I hear also for some people it literally knocks them out.

To Stacy, I guess I'm doing "OK" I'd say. I think my body is definitely still getting used to the Paxil. Some days I feel amazing: I'm really happy, no palpitations or muscle tension, no lightheadedness and all is well. I actually feel like myself. Then right when I start to feel like everything's looking up the next day I'll feel like hell again. Usually right when I wake up I know whether it's gonna be a good day or a bad day , but I guess that's OK. At least I actually have some good days now after being on Paxil, as opposed to crippling anxiety EVERY day before I took it . It's still only been 2 weeks on the Paxil as well, so I think things will just continue to get better. Gotta be optomistic!

Stay safe all,

-Nick

Old 12-17-2004, 10:04 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

woodfaery HB User

Hi this is in regard to benzo's. I think that its good for short term. My experience with a benzo, which was ativan (lorazipam) was very good. It was very helpful when I was struggling with severe anxiety, and trying to cope with getting thru a severe illness. At the same time, I am definately against long term use of benzo's. Because {REMOVED}I have seen people become addicted to them easily over about a 5-6 mon. period...first sign was the patient increasing their dosage because they felt the initial dose was just not cutting it, and then running out of their prescription and wanting refills. Docs pay close attention to this kind of med and how a person may build a tolerance to it, {REMOVED}Then to top it off, the doc wont refill a script if the script was abused. Personally, my thoughts are...use your benzo's sparingly and correct dosage and when the anxiety is severe or unbarable. Good luck fellow anxiety sufferers. Anxiety is no fun when it happens, I know. Happy Holidays to you all!

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-17-2004 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Please don't make any statements they may add undue weight to your opinions. Please read the posting rules .

Old 12-25-2004, 08:09 PM   #12
(male)

curious86 HB User

my only warning is that klonopin can cause some depressive feelings if used longer term. however i have been on it for a year and no complaints besides that one.

Old 12-26-2004, 01:36 AM   #13
(female)

miamore HB User
Talking Re: Clonazepam Users

u know what i am on klonopin 1mg twice a day and ive notice i do build a tolerance to it, i dont know if i like the edge feeling and users that use undertand its almost like ur floating ur so relaxed but not in a bad druggy way feeling, and i have also used every know med as far as anti depress. to anxiety and i feel that person that said using the paxil made more anxiety get off it tell ur doc fast i was on it and it made it worse for me......... for others its the best drug in the world..... but also like me i can deal with klonopin more but i cant take zanax i feel more anxiety like an addiction to it , its like i have asmtha without my inhaler on me i feel stressed with out the zanax i felt like i was a ticking time ball ok it out of my system her comes another panic attack it was horrible, even though i feel like i need my dose increased or maybe just stay at the same but at least 3 times a day may be better, at times but then at times i dont have to take but like .5 just before i go to sleep . it just depends sometimes ii have to just take it on a need to feel basis that is what has helped for me ..... try not taking it in the morning and increaseing your dosage when u have noticed the anxiety the most ......

Old 01-02-2005, 08:34 PM   #14

Gail HB User

I have been on clonazapam for a few years. I started have some severe anger problems and my pdoc added risperdal to my cocktail of meds. When that didn't help enough he upped my clonazapam. I was taking .25 mg. twice a day and prn. I am now suppose to take .5 in the a.m. and p.m. and again in the afternoon if needed. However, I only take .25 at bedtime. I look at it this way. I either take my meds as prescribed by my doc or live as the monster I so desperately hate.
Gail

Old 01-03-2005, 03:34 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

nbden HB User
Arrow Re: Clonazepam Users

Klonopin isn't an addictive drug like valium. I take 2mg of klonopin per day and it really help to have in my system when a big attack comes on. As long as you don't take Klonopin everytime you have a panic attack, or up your dosage without consulting a doctor first then you will be fine. Just remember that anyone taking this will feel worse if they smoke or drink, because of alcohol or niccotine. Hope any of this info helps..

Closed Thread