It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #1
(female)

dd annie HB User
How do doctors determine if you have anxiety

How do doctors determine if you have anxiety? I was just wondering because I think I may have it, but I want it confirmed by a doctor so I can figure out what to do next. I do not want to take prescribed medication.

Annie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 12:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
Re: How do doctors determine if you have anxiety

There is no test to determine if someone suffers from anxiety or panic attacks.
Since the symptoms of this illness mimic those of other illnesses they have to do tests to rule out other things.
For instance, high or low blood sugar, or a thyroid problem have many if not all of the same symptoms as anxiety or panic disorder.
Once all of the test are run and if they come back normal that's how they make the dx of panic or anxiety.
Any good Doctor would run all of the tests before telling you, that you have anxiety or panic disorder.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 04:43 PM   #3
(female)

tyna HB User

In my case they had a long list of questions to be answered and blood tests to outrule a physical cause.They check family history, current lifestyle,symptoms and length of time you have been having them.In the end I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder which i thought "just appears" but after talk therapy sessions i started realizing i had been suffering with it for many years but had been ignoring the subtle signs it had givin me so until i was in crisis I hadn't looked for help
Tyna

Old 01-04-2005, 09:13 PM   #4
(female)

dd annie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyna
In my case they had a long list of questions to be answered and blood tests to outrule a physical cause.They check family history, current lifestyle,symptoms and length of time you have been having them.In the end I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder which i thought "just appears" but after talk therapy sessions i started realizing i had been suffering with it for many years but had been ignoring the subtle signs it had givin me so until i was in crisis I hadn't looked for help
Tyna

Tyna,

What did you do about your Generalized Anxiety Disorder? Does it make you scared of talking to people and social events? I am scared to go out in public and to make friends.

Annie

Old 01-05-2005, 09:26 AM   #5
(female)

lisa2005 HB User

I had that problem, social phobia. I mainly had it in school, and work. I am not in school and do not currently work, so I don't have to deal with it as much. I do have to say I had it really bad, but it has gotten better over the years. The more confidence I have the better it gets. If I had known it wasn't just shyness, I would have gotten help for it long time ago.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
(female)

tyna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbannie
Tyna,

What did you do about your Generalized Anxiety Disorder? Does it make you scared of talking to people and social events? I am scared to go out in public and to make friends.

Annie
I'm currently taking celexa an SSRI and have Klonopin for panic attacks.
GAD is usually an over exaggeration of normal worries I ALWAYS opt for the worse case scenario no matter how impossible it would be.The constant worry caused all sorts of physical symptoms and eventually started causing depression and social phobia" not wanting to see people and go to social events" I was so worried about having an attack in public or while driving it seriously effected my life.I am by no way out of the woods but have had some relief in the past few weeks, my good days where i can function out number my bad days and for that i am grateful because when you start waking up later in the morning just to shorten the day because you don't know how to get through it is just a horrible lonely scary feeling.
Talk therapy and exposure therapy could help you but you need to talk to a doc about it, the earlier you catch it the better.
Tyna

Closed Thread