It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2005, 08:57 AM   #1
(female)

Rafael02 HB User
Physical Manifestations of Anxiety and/or OCD

Hi, everyone!I'm pretty new to this board just thought I would share my personal experience and daily battle with Anxiety/Depression. I was fine till about one year ago. Then everything happened at once. I was getting out of an extreme phychologically abusive relationship and I ended up having a miscarriage a week later. This past year I have turned into the biggest case...Here are my symptoms...Sound familiar to anyone?

Fear of getting(........any horrible disease enter here)
Chest pain
Fear of Dying alone and since I live by myself someone no one would find me for a few days
Numbness and Cramping in muscles and joints(especially arms)
Frequent urination
Insomnia
Loss of Appetite
Restless Leg
Obsessive thoughts(about everything) that will not go away no matter what!
Feeling sensation like a million bugs crawling all over scalp(pins and needles feeling)
Headaches

I started therapy at the beginning of 2004 and it does help some, just not enough..I have been put on Lexapro, which I decided to go off of because I felt like it did take away the depression however it also took away all other emotion and I felt like I had no conscionce...I was placed on Paxil and am only on my 3rd day but have nothing neither positive or negative to report about it yet....Anyone willing to comment on their strugggle with anxiety?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2005, 12:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
Re: Physical Manifestations of Anxiety and/or OCD

Every single thing you mentioned I felt at one time or another.
So I know where you're coming from, believe me.
I don't have panic attacks any more, but I still have OCD...that's just something I've come to terms with because at one time they tried to give me medication to take care of that, but I was allergic to it.
I tried therapy, CBT, and books to overcome the OCD, but nothing seemed to help with that....like I said it's just something I've come to terms with and have just sort of learned to live with it.

Another thing I wanted to say, the only time I ever had the feeling of the "Bugs" was when I tried to take an SSRI...Paxil is an SSRI so if that's a new symptom it maybe coming from the Paxil and should go away when your body gets used to the drug.

Sorry I wasn't really much help, just wanted you to know that you're not alone with those symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2005, 01:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

Hi
lexapro and the other antidepressants can help a lot but take 2 to 6 weeks to become effective

your problems can all come from anxiety and depression but I hope your doc also checks you out for other physical causes

Old 01-21-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

etb72 HB User

will ya live from ocd?

Old 01-21-2005, 08:17 PM   #5
(female)

Rafael02 HB User
Unhappy Re: Physical Manifestations of Anxiety and/or OCD

Yeah, sometimes you do feel like you're alone in this and that you are actually going crazy! i'm am absolutely OBSESSIVE about my health and I always think I'm dying from something or another but it always turns out to be 'just anxiety'. This is really the pits living like this. Other people have no idea about the things we go through and they just get irritated and say, "you don't need medication, just get a grip!"...Oh, if it was only that easy...sigh...

Old 01-22-2005, 06:30 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

etb72 HB User

I am tight in the legs.my arm is stiff .sweetiness.i am afraid ocd is killing me.i think of stupid stuff and cant seem for it to go away.i take luvox and zocor.i am afraid i will have a nervous breakdown or something.i am a christian i was going to church.but sleep affected me last week.and am afraid to cry in front of friends.

Old 01-22-2005, 06:57 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

luv2read HB User

The past 9 yrs have been a "health anxiety" nightmare for me. I still sometimes think that I have parkinsons because this darn postional wrist-thumb tremor is with me all the time ( dr's say it's caused from the effexor I'm taking). And because of my fibro symptoms which are a lot like pd.

Old 01-22-2005, 08:33 PM   #8
(female)

curlysue75 HB User

Rafael02, Oh my goodness! It sounded like me there, with all those symptoms. I have and am still going through just about everything you've listed there. I, too, have a fear of some horrible disease affecting me. I have gone to ER repeatedly, they know me by name as soon as I walk in. I have had numerous tests ran... turns out nothing is wrong with me according to the results. I feel on the verge of death sometimes and it terrifies me....thinking that something is wrong with me physically. I have even tried to find other diseases that could mimic anxiety/depression so my doctor can check for it. I'm scared to find out if there is something truly wrong with me, but I can't stand going through everyday feeling like I'm so sick. My family is getting tired of hearing me complain about it all the time. I'm supposed to be taking Paxil, as well. I have taken it before and it has done very well with me, so has Prozac. My problem is getting started on it again. The irrational part of my mind, plagued by the anxiety, tries to convince the rest of me that if I take the medicine it will do something bad.. like an allergic reaction, whereas the rational thinking in my mind knows better, since I have taken it before and nothing bad has happened. The most noticable side effects I have had from it are drowsiness and dizziness, sometimes dry mouth, and that had always gone away after a while. Anyways, I am just rambling on and on.... just wanted to let you know that you are not alone... and I'm glad to hear that I am not either. I hope the Paxil works well for you.

Old 01-23-2005, 07:53 PM   #9
(male)

anxious2 HB User

I too have had all those symptoms at one point or another. My most persistent symptom? Muscle tension and pain! My upper back, shoulders and neck will get really tight and stiff when my anxiety flares up. Sometimes my scalp, like I have a tight headband on.

As far as Paxil: you will have to take it for at least three or four weeks to see if it will help. I had great success with Paxil but some people have not. It's a matter of finding the best medication for you. I can tell you though, each time you switch medications you need to wait again for a few weeks to see if itís really going to work. There is a lot of good information on the web about Paxil and other anti-depressants.

Take care.

Closed Thread