It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2005, 09:18 PM   #1
(female)

CTLady HB User
Very confused/not sure I need meds!

I'm reading some of the threads on here and I see people with severe anxiety symptoms. To me it is clear the possible side effects of anti-anxiety medications are worth it for these people.

My symptoms are not as dramatic. My mom has bladder cancer so I am constantly worrying about her. I'm having a hard time getting a full night of sleep. I often lay awake and worry, worry, worry about my mom, bills, my husband health, my daughter's healthy, cleaning the house. You name it, I can worry about it. I find myself losing my train of thought and being more forgetful than usual. I've had some serious headheaches and neck pain.

My appetite is fine, no heart palpitations, hot flashes, extreme fear etc.

I've had a prescription for Xanax and I've found it quite helpful for sleep. I take 1/2 a pill before bed and I sleep like a baby. I know it can be addicting so I'm careful not to take it every day.

My doctor still feels I need a regular anti-anxiety med. I tried Lexapro but had bad nausea after a couple of days and stopped. Now I have sample of Paxil Cr to try. The side effects are daunting. I'm trying to weigh the situation to see if the Paxil is worth it. My doctor explained that my mind sort of needs repairing (she talked about Melatonin I believe) and she said the Xanax will not do this. Any opinions?

Old 01-16-2005, 04:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Very confused/not sure I need meds!

You are wise not to take that X RX every day. I only use mine when the fear starts to control me.
It almost sounds like your dr wants you on something for some reason???? I'm not sure why????? Do you have any other condition?

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2005, 07:57 AM   #3
(female)

CTLady HB User

Just high blood pressure that is now being controlled with med. My mom's cancer is very serious and I did break down in front of my poor doctor during one visit. Who doesn't get upset when their mom might be dying?

Old 01-16-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

Hi CT lady,
antidepressants are being heavily promoted to docs with many incentives to prescribe them, how about a free seminar on waikiki beach??

I doubt you need one, the xanax as needed is very helpful to calm you, it is short acting so will help you get off to sleep it also helps to carry a few tablets with you when out, you can disolve 1 under the tongue if suddenly hit by anxiety or stress

make sure your blood pressure med is a beta blocker type, it probably isnt as these arent advertised or promoted much. beta blockers, are the only type that calm the body and help with the physical problems of anxiety and stress

there are several books on overcoming worry, they have helpful advice

Old 01-16-2005, 04:51 PM   #5
(male)

snapcrackle HB Usersnapcrackle HB Usersnapcrackle HB User

i think the best prescription for anxiety is a vacation to someplace tropical, if only canadian healthcare would foot the bill

Old 01-17-2005, 01:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

good idea, but some cant let go of their anxiety where ever they go

Old 01-17-2005, 02:14 PM   #7

amy12345 HB User

Hi, wanted to tell you my initial experience with Lexapro - my sample packet was given to me by my primary doctor, who started me with 10 mg per day. According to him, and what I"ve read, that is the starting dosage for adults. Well, I had terrible headaches and nausea from the first day almost, so four days later, he said to switch to half a pill (5 mg) and consult with a psychiatrist about adjusting dose levels, trying new meds, etc. It seemed my primary doctor has limited experience with antidepressants and when he's asked to prescribe for someone, he uses the "textbook" dose.

So, I went to a psychiatrist, he told me he never starts patients on 10 mg., he has found that so many people experience bad side effects, that he starts at 5 and works up to 10, then more if necessary. I don't know what dose you started with.

I have had unbelievable relief from anxiety from Lexapro so far and have felt the first peaceful feelings I've felt in my life. Like you, I thought my anxiety symptoms were not as dramatic as some I've read, so I wasn't sure I needed meds. My therapist suggested I give them a try to see if they "take the edge off" my general anxiety and I talk with her weekly to help me tackle self esteem issues, relationship issues, etc.

So whatever you decide to do, try meds or not, I wanted to tell you that I had a very bad initial reaction from Lexapro too, but the psychiatrist started me on a more gentle regimen and that worked.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-17-2005, 05:44 PM   #8
(female)

CTLady HB User

Thank you all for your responses A tropical vacation sounds delightful LOL

Thank you Amy for your insight. I especially hate feeling nauseous and I've noticed the two meds I tried made me sick right away.

I find it ironic that I'm anxiety ridden over whether I should take meds or not

Closed Thread