It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2005, 04:41 PM   #1
(female)

Newbie56 HB User
Ativan three times a day?????

I had added this post under a previous Ativan post No replies. Thought I would name it again and maybe receive responses. Thanks!

This is my first time here. I see that most posters are young. I'm a 56 yr. old female. Read this affects the young more than older adults. This is not fun!!! About 3 months ago, my heart started racing out of control. In fact, in Nov. Dr. sent me to ER in ambulance because my in office EKG had changed since I had my physical in July. My heartrate was 120 in the office. She would not let my husband drive me. In July, I had echocardiogram stress test, in which I got my heart rate up to 100%. In the ER, had another regular stress test, fine, along with chest xray, another EKG, etc. In fact, when I was in the ambulance, I was stress free. Guess because I knew someone was there to help me. Dr. put me on Lexapro in July. After taking two pills, had a burning sensation across my chest. Then tried a different med. and same thing. So I can't take antidepressants.
Dr. put me on Ativan .5 twice a day. Slowed down my heart rate but I still wasn't "normal". Read that anyone over 50 should not take more that 2 mmg. a day. Well, at 3 Ativans a day, I'll only be at 1.5. Thursday, went back to Dr. gave me Buspar. Starting out with 1/2 pill 2xs a day for 7 days. Took one yesterday mornig. In 3 hrs., my heart rate was up to 98. Had to walk around the house to try and bring it down. Could not go to work. Called Dr. Said to take Ativan with it. And take the Ativan 3 x a day along with the Buspar. I'm am scared to do the Buspar again. Pharmistist said Ativar is a "maintenance" med. and here I'm on it 3 x a day. Dr. said anxiety is a hormone imbalance. I am not going to let this take hold of me anymore. I'm to the point where I don't want to go anyplace because I don't know how I will feel. I keep telling my friends "no" to lunch. AND, my friend and I have an 8 day cruise next month and I have to get over this crap. Made these reservations in June. And I'm going!!!!!
Added note: I have NO apetite and am losing weight. Also, when my mind is busy, I feel better. But I've been staying in our computer room all day and not sleeping in bed. I can make myself feel better with my thoughts. My cousin has anxiety, I just found out, but takes Ativan only when needed. When I didn't take it yesterday morning with the Buspar, I then realized that I really have it bad with the heart racing so high.
Update. So far so good with the 3 Ativans a day. This is my second day. No Buspar med. though. Just Ativan.

Last edited by Newbie56; 01-16-2005 at 04:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2005, 05:53 PM   #2
Inactive

laurabell HB User
Re: Ativan three times a day?????

hi i take ativan 3 times a day 1.5 mg. i feel i am in the same situation with you. i tried buspar but it made my whole body tingle really bad. i have tried ad's and the side effects are too much. i have been taking ativan for 3 months. i dont know what to do next. i start seeing a psych. on thursday. hopefully that will help!!

Old 01-16-2005, 06:09 PM   #3
(female)

Newbie56 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabell
hi i take ativan 3 times a day 1.5 mg. i feel i am in the same situation with you. i tried buspar but it made my whole body tingle really bad. i have tried ad's and the side effects are too much. i have been taking ativan for 3 months. i dont know what to do next. i start seeing a psych. on thursday. hopefully that will help!!
Hi Laurabell, Yep, does sound like we both have trouble with ad's. Buspar has the same make-up as Ativan (pharm. told me). Dr. had me start out with 1/2 Buspar pill twice a day for 7 days since I'm so sensitive to meds. I only took 1/2 twice and said forget it. But I didn't take it with Ativan which I guess I should have done. I take only .5 mg of the Ativan 3xs a day and am feeling so much better taking 3 a day. I was taking 2 a day for about three weeks. You must be younger than me because of the higher dose. I'm only allowed 2 mg a day. Just hang in there. I'm realizing it's taking playing around with med. to get the right thing for me. And I will not take another Buspar. It think it's a good idea to see a psych. Please keep me informed. AND HANG IN THERE!!! You will be fine!!!

Old 01-17-2005, 01:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

Hi newbie
Im older, 62 and a man!
ativan and buspar are both tranquillisers but dofferent types, ativan is a valium type, buspar is mostly poorly thought of for anxiety, is often expensive and helps little

anxiety sufferers sometimes do have severe reactions when starting an antidepressant med, some docs wont accept this as the drug companies seldom mention them
ativan 3 times a day will be OK for the cruise but can bring problems if kept up longterm
you need to learn relaxation and new ways of coping with stress, generally referred to as CBT, eventually the ativan should be taken only as needed

I suggest you take more and go out and visit the friends, dont fight back against the anxiety, accept it and try to relax your way thru it
breathe deep and slow, avoid rapid shallow panting

Old 01-17-2005, 05:10 PM   #5
(female)

Newbie56 HB User

Hi hry33
Thank you for your response. I am feeling so much better taking 3 ativans a day.
Haven't been on them long. My Dr. wants to help me so much seeing how I was.
It's funny. Nothing seems to get my heart rate soaring. It just starts and pounds hard. I am not taking buspar now and don't think I will. I hope my Dr. is up to date on this medication. She had mentioned bi-feed back if the meds. didn't help.
I'll try your suggestions with the CBT. Just feels so good to be back to normal and not have the "clogged" head feeling and the rapid heart rate. I'm going to take one day at a time. Thank you again.

Closed Thread