It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 08:09 AM   #1
(female)

shopper15 HB User
Constant Worry

I am 28 yrs old and can not remember a day go by that I did not worry about one thing or another-regarding my health.
I first went to the dr about 3 yrs ago when I thought that I was having a heart attack. I had an EKG done and was "fine" just a panic attack. I did not have another attack for about a yr. I went to a walk in clinic and had another EKG done. I was told that I was fine and that the sensitivity on my chest was from a dense chest cavity and was given some asprin and sent on my merry way. I went to see my PC and was given Xanex-I took it only when I was really stressed out..no real issues. I then started a new job and was stressed EVERY day. I would come home crying and misserable-my boyfriend is convinced that this is what sent me over the edge. Soon after I went to a new PC and had another EKG done...nothing. I was scheduled for an Echo and a stress test, but I did not make it as I was in the ER the next day. I though that I was going to die. They did chest x-rays, more EKG's, blood work and an MRI and could not find anything. They said that I have anxiety and gave me more Xanex. I was fine again for awhile and then down hill again. I went to a new PC and she put me on Paxil-I was on it for a few days and had chest pains. I went off of it and then one day I had the worst panic attack (did not know the meaning of that before) and was convinced that it was the end. I calmed down and called my dr the next day. She took me off of the Paxil and told me just to take Klonopin if I need it and that I should go talk to someone. I have an appt, but have become a hypochondriac as well-thinking that every little pain that I have is cancer or something severe. I was never like this before. I read an article about ALS-which my grandfather died of an since I have pain in my arms I am convinced that this is what it is. I hope that the psychiatrist will help.
Just wanted to see if anyone could relate since no one that I know can really understand. I am so young and worry all the time that today is the day and that I will not get married or have kids.I know that it is crazy talk, but I can not get it out of my mind at times. Not sure if this is really anxiety or something more severe. Sorry for the long post!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 09:17 AM   #2

polishkittycat HB User
Re: Constant Worry

Hi, I can relate and totally understand. About 6 years ago when I was 21 I had the same thing happen. Chest pain, heart palpitations, electric shock like feeling, panicky, racing mind, couldnt swallow, hyperventilation ect... I went to the ER like every 3 days and they did a bunch of tests, EKG's and so forth. I kept on going to the doctor because I swore I was going to die because my heart was not acting right, I had chest pain and these funny beats and beating really really fast to the point where I was going to faint. I went to a cardiologist where I was given a holter monitor (24 hour) and then when that came back normal an event recorder for 1 week where I would press record when my heart started acting "funny". After all of this, doctors and ER trips and stress echo cardiograms for over 2 years finally someone told my (my cardiologist) that I was having panic attacks because of stress and althought the felt symptoms are really there its because of the mind and not the heart. The heart reacts in a way to the mind, the reason I would tingle was because when your mind senses fear or danger or stress the brain immediately sends the oxygen and blood to the most vital organs eg.. heart. Thats why it beats soo fast and flutters. Your limbs may tingle because the blood is being sent elsewhere to protect you, it the sympathetic nervous system setting in. I went on xanax and became heavily addicted to it, (was perscribed 1/2 - 1 tab daily and was taking 10 or more) then I went on to klonopin which made me panic because it relaxed me so much I thought my heart along with my lungs would stop working. After that went to a shrink who put me on paxil and for 4 years I was panic attack free except for maybe 1 or 2. Paxil was my lifesaver along with the shrink teaching me how to take control over my attacks when they came. Learn to breathe this is the #1 important thing in slowing your heart rate down and getting your blood pressure back to normal when an attack is present. Breathe through your nose count to 4 and exhale through your mouth on a count to 4. Also make sure you breath through your diaphram, your stomach not chest or shoulders should be moving when you inhale and exhale. Hope this helps. Oh and another thing, learn to trust the doctors, after all those tests and learning everything is ok, start telling yourself everything is ok and then your mind will begin to react accordingly.

Old 01-25-2005, 09:46 AM   #3
(female)

shopper15 HB User

Thank you so much for that reply-It really does help to hear that I am not all alone-as lame as that sounds. I am glad to hear that you are doing so well...it seems that paxil is the saving grace for so many people. I am sure that I was giving myself chest pains worrying about what the Paxil was doing. Lets see what the "shrink" has to say. Thanks again!

Old 01-25-2005, 04:28 PM   #4

MKLowTone HB User

The tingling is probably due more to the fact that your heart is sending more oxygen through your body as a whole rather than redirecting it to the vital organs - all that does is make your extremities go cold

it's a form of hyperventilation and I was suffering from it for quite a while (about 3-4 months, and it still comes back now and then)

Now I'm all about the chest/neck/heart symtoms unfortunately and they're sending me nuts but like shopper said, it's fantastic to know that so many other people are going through the same thing and that it's possible to get over it

Old 01-25-2005, 10:18 PM   #5
(female)

kaley HB User

Hi all....
I am 32 and there is not a day that goes by that I am not worried about my heart....I constanly am thinking that there is something wrong. I will get aches in my shoulder, upper back. jaw and neck and I really think that it is heart related. I have been thinking like this since May so I know how you all feel. It SUCKS!!! I am on celexa which really takes the panic away but I still worry alll the time....Any advice would be great.....Maybe we can all help each other!
Kaley

Old 02-07-2005, 10:18 AM   #6
(female)

melaniekellison HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishkittycat
Hi, I can relate and totally understand. About 6 years ago when I was 21 I had the same thing happen. Chest pain, heart palpitations, electric shock like feeling, panicky, racing mind, couldnt swallow, hyperventilation ect... I went to the ER like every 3 days and they did a bunch of tests, EKG's and so forth. I kept on going to the doctor because I swore I was going to die because my heart was not acting right, I had chest pain and these funny beats and beating really really fast to the point where I was going to faint. I went to a cardiologist where I was given a holter monitor (24 hour) and then when that came back normal an event recorder for 1 week where I would press record when my heart started acting "funny". After all of this, doctors and ER trips and stress echo cardiograms for over 2 years finally someone told my (my cardiologist) that I was having panic attacks because of stress and althought the felt symptoms are really there its because of the mind and not the heart. The heart reacts in a way to the mind, the reason I would tingle was because when your mind senses fear or danger or stress the brain immediately sends the oxygen and blood to the most vital organs eg.. heart. Thats why it beats soo fast and flutters. Your limbs may tingle because the blood is being sent elsewhere to protect you, it the sympathetic nervous system setting in. I went on xanax and became heavily addicted to it, (was perscribed 1/2 - 1 tab daily and was taking 10 or more) then I went on to klonopin which made me panic because it relaxed me so much I thought my heart along with my lungs would stop working. After that went to a shrink who put me on paxil and for 4 years I was panic attack free except for maybe 1 or 2. Paxil was my lifesaver along with the shrink teaching me how to take control over my attacks when they came. Learn to breathe this is the #1 important thing in slowing your heart rate down and getting your blood pressure back to normal when an attack is present. Breathe through your nose count to 4 and exhale through your mouth on a count to 4. Also make sure you breath through your diaphram, your stomach not chest or shoulders should be moving when you inhale and exhale. Hope this helps. Oh and another thing, learn to trust the doctors, after all those tests and learning everything is ok, start telling yourself everything is ok and then your mind will begin to react accordingly.
I am 30 yrs. old and have 2 daughters. I am married...and should be extremely happy since I have everything I have ever wanted. BUT...I am constantly worrying about my health and can't be happy. I have been to the dr. for my heart numerous times. I have had numerous ekgs and I even wore a halter monitor for 24 hours. They read my results and said that there is nothing wrong with my heart. They said it was anxiety. I have had a CT scan on my head because I was convinced I had a brain tumor. It was anxiety related. I have had blood test after blood test because I was convinced I had some kind of cancer. When I was 17, I just KNEW that I would live to get married and have kids. Here I am 30 and I am married for the second time and have 2 wonderful kids. I would just like to have my life back. AND...to make things worse...people in my family...think I am just crazy!!! If anyone would like to talk...{REMOVED}Sometimes all you need is to know someone else feels exactly like you do!!!

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-07-2005 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Don't post off board contact information. Please re-read the posting rules.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:36 PM   #7
(female)

malibubarbie999 HB User
Arrow Re: Constant Worry

I know exactly how you feel & I completely empathize with you!!! I am a 21/F and have suffered from horrible anxiety (diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder), hypochondria & panic attacks *all my life*. My family thinks I'm crazy & gets so sick of hearing my health concerns. Every time I read about a new disease I somehow convince myself I have it. It's absolutely dibilitating!!!

The craziest part is I have always been a healthy person (besides suffering from anxiety and ADHD) and my overwhelming anxiety is already starting to have a negative effect on my health (as I said, I'm only 21). Due to my anxiety I am about 20 lbs UNDERweight (I seldom have an appetite), my "normal" resting pulse rate falls somewhere between 90-99 BPM (which would be considered high in most people), have slightly high blood pressure, tachycardia (racing heart) as well as palpitations (pounding heart) from time to time. My anxiety is ruining my health!!! It's soo frustrating!!!!!

I've had panic attacks so bad I was convinced I was having a heart attack! And of course the more I'd worry about it, the more my heart would race & the worse I'd feel. It's like a terrible vicious cycle that has taken over my mind & I'm not sure I'll ever overcome it

The best advice I can give you is *stay away from websites (or any type of material for that matter) that discusses disease or health issues*. This will only serve to feed your anxiety/hypochondria!!! A lot of the stuff you see online is bull anyway.

Also, I'm not sure if this will work for you but I have recently found some *coping mechanisms* that help reduce the severity of my panic attacks (a friend who suffers from Panic Disorder gave me these tips). Whenever you feel one coming on try taking deep breaths (from your stomach, NOT your chest -- more oxygen will get to your brain/heart this way & you'll be less likely to hyperventilate) and force yourself to think about someone you love or something funny (as a distraction). If that fails, splash some icy cold water on your face (this will also serve to slow down your heart rate). Repeat to yourself over & over "It's all in my head. This is only my anxiety. I am fine." As far as I know, no one has ever died of a panic attack.

Just remember, you are NOT alone!!! Anxiety is actually the #1 diagnosed psychiatric illness in America. It is an awful disorder, but can be managed just like anything else. I've found daily exercise helps tremendously as well as getting enough sleep.

Good luck & take care

Old 02-08-2005, 03:34 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

etb72 HB User

i constaly worry.

Old 02-09-2005, 03:32 PM   #9
(female)

sherbear24 HB User

I can definately relate. All I want is my life back. I constantly think I am going to die and that some nights I do not want to go to sleep thinking I will not wake up. I finally broke down and went to the doctor I am taking Xanax. I hope it helps. It is so nice to know that I am not alone.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:19 AM   #10
(female)

shopper15 HB User

You are not alone at all. I went to the psychiatrist last week and he suggested that I begin to start using Zoloft. I have been getting chest pains again and assume that it is the Zoloft-although it could just be my head.

I have started breathing exercises like the previous posts said-thanks-and also started to try and meditate before bed. I hope that this works because I can not stand always having one pain or another in my chest. I do not think that I will ever be completely convinced that "nothing" is really wrong. Thank you all for the great replies-anymore words of wisdom would always be welcome!

Old 02-10-2005, 07:44 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

I worry all of the time also. Actually, I remember when I was a little girl I was so scared that I had cancer. Since then it's always something. My family just tells me "your don't have a brain tumor" or "you don't have cancer". For some reason these affirmations make me feel better, until I get online and find out that I have something else. I was on Luvox and It seemed to help, but then I got Pregnant and stopped taking it. That was over 2 years ago. I would love to take something again but do not have RX coverage and it's to expensive for us. So, I just live with it. I have for as long as I can remember and somehow I have developed coping mechanisims. I can talk myself out of a panic attack right away with the same techniques other posters have listed. Most of the time I am just really anxious. It stinks, I really wish I did not feel this way. Also, I have a 16 month old baby and now I constantly worry that something is going to happen to him. My anxiety has gotton much worse since I have become a mother. If I think about myself dying I start uncontrolably crying, for fear I would leave my son motherless. Just writing this is making me tear up.

Old 02-11-2005, 06:51 AM   #12
(female)

sculpture HB User

How much are we missing out on things because of worry, fear, anxiety, depression, OCD, etc. It's not fair. We are not LIVING. I feel as though I am already dead. I hate this.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:23 PM   #13
(female)

lsmith1 HB User

I do the exact same thing! I am 3 months postpartum and I am obsessed with my health. I go to the ER once a week and nothing is ever wrong they always send me home stating stress and anxiety. I had this before I had my child too, but had it under control until I gave birth. First I was anxious about the baby and then I became obseesed with every ache, pain, or feeling. I have thought I had cancer, anyeresm, blood clot, tumor, MS, heart failure ect... I can't get off the internet I obsess over my symptoms and look them up always bringing up horrible things. I just recently went to the doctor who was checking my heart and they actually think that I might have postpartum cardiomyopathy! I was like oh my gosh I am not going crazy. But now I am obsessing about that looking it up all over the internet. I am on zoloft, xanax and trileptal. Why can't I stop obsessing over my heath? I know it is making it worse, if there is something wrong with my heart then me being anxious and depressed and obessive is going to make it worse. Help the internet is bad but I can't stop!

Old 02-11-2005, 01:37 PM   #14
(female)

sherbear24 HB User

I agree this is really not away of life. I have been finding that if I get out and do something it does help though. My doctor says I am fine but I also had some blood work done and now all I can think about is that they will find something. I have the follow-up this Wednesday maybe after that I will feel confident that I am not going to die.

Closed Thread