It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2005, 06:36 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Can shaking hands with people who have a disease be catchy?

I would like to know if anyone knows if you can catch a disease by shaking sweaty hands with people. What I mean by disease is, hepatitis, any type of cancer, Aids, a cold (I know that's not a disease though) etc...

Old 01-27-2005, 09:15 AM   #2

MKLowTone HB User
Re: Can shaking hands with people who have a disease be catchy?

Honestly, some you can but none of what you've just mentioned

Only the worst diseases (and I mean ones where the person you're touching is literall falling apart piece by piece eg ebola and plague) as far as I'm aware can be transmitted from such a short contact

Cancer just IS, you don't catch it from anybody
AIDS (Acquired Immuno-Deficiency Syndrome?) develops from the blood disorder known as HiV (Human Immuno-difficiency Virus?), the transmission of which requires transmission of boldily fluids and I'm pretty sure it has to be blood or sexual fluid

But addressing the greater issue here, I don't think you need to worry about catching things from shaking hands with people - you might be better off talking to your doctor or a counsellor about any specific issues you have at the moment because I'm guessing this goes deeper than you maybe having shaken hands with somebody who is ill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 10:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

You can't catch cancer from anyone, in any way. Cancer is not contagious.

You can't catch HIV/AIDS just by touching somebody. The AIDS virus is not found in sweat.

Yes, you can catch a cold, or the flu by shaking hands with someone if you then put your hands on/near a mucous membrane (eyes, nose, mouth).

Old 01-27-2005, 01:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

You ABSOLUTELY can catch a cold from shaking hands with someone - that's been known for years. If you keep your hands away from your eyes, ears(don't stick a finger in your ear) and nose, you'll be ok though. I am obsessive enough to remember to do this, but NORMAL people generally forget. I often wondered about AIDS, like if their sweat gets into a cut or something!

Last edited by Sunlover; 01-27-2005 at 01:57 PM.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

MKlowtone,

I have done nothing else other than shake hands with someone and I don't even know if they had anything. I was just wondering because someone brought this up to me and it got me thinking.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Is it a scientific known fact that the Aids virus is NOT found in sweat or is that speculation? What about Hepititas? I heard that was extremely contagious. With the cold and flu season here, I guess it's a good idea to carry antibacterial wipes in the car because you never know when someone is sick with a cold. They are even starting to have these wipes in the grocery stores now to wipe the handles of the carts. Not a bad idea!

Old 01-27-2005, 09:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

It's a scientific fact, singer. HIV is not found in sweat, tears or saliva.

HIV is present in semen, blood, vaginal secretions and breast milk.

Old 01-29-2005, 12:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Okay, say that you shake hands with someone and you have a papercut (VERY VERY SMALL) and there's no blood present there but is blood on the other persons hand and it came across the tiny paper cut. Can anything happen that way? I'm not saying by any means that anything like that has happened, the question just came to mind. I am not very educated on very many diseases. Thanks to all who reply!!!!!

Old 01-30-2005, 07:47 AM   #9

MKLowTone HB User

Firstly I never realised a handshake could pass on a cold - perhaps that's why I get so many...

And yes, if you have a small cut it's POSSIBLE that infections that require such fluid transfers can pass but only if you BOTH have open cuts

I'm unsure about ingestion of such fluids though (eg blood, semen or brest milk) - I just don't posess that knowledge though I SUSPECT that infections of that nature could be passed in such a manner (meaning that only the other person would need an open wound if you were kissing them for example)

But don't take that as gosepl at all - anybody know for sure?

Either way I'd try not to worry about it - just having shaken hands with somebody who you don't think has anything and if neither of you had open cuts then the chances are infentessimal of you catching anything from him - otherwise people would be dropping dead in board meetings and social groups all the time

Old 01-30-2005, 11:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Does anyone know if a tiny and I do mean TINY papercut is considered to be an open cut? I, like most people don't look at my hands when I go to shake someones hand and I would suspect that most people don't either. I mean, people get little cuts on their hands all the time and don't realize it. That's why I have a concern.

Old 01-30-2005, 01:50 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

It always freaks me out when people say you can get something if you have any cuts on your hands - I have very dry hands with eczema and my hands are FULL of open "cuts"!!! They are like that 9 months out of the year! Scary stuff...

Last edited by Sunlover; 01-30-2005 at 01:50 PM.

Old 01-30-2005, 02:15 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Please worry less about shaking hands. You can't get HIV or hepatitis from shaking hands unless you both have gaping wounds. And no, a papercut doesn't count as a gaping wound.

Yes, of course you can transfer cold and flu viruses from one person to another by shaking hands - but if you don't rub your eyes or pick your nose, and if you wash your hands before you eat, the virus won't get into your mucous membranes and you won't get sick.

You're more likely to get germs from breathing air in a room in which someone else is breathing. But, so what? A cold isn't dangerous, and you can't completely avoid getting them without restricting your life to the point of a misery that far surpasses the fleeting unpleasantness of a cold.

Old 01-30-2005, 07:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Thanks Timber, you made me feel a little bit better. I tell ya, when I worry about something, I am focused! I hate that too! I was just worried because the person's hand I shook was a Father (in his 40's) who had a son with aids and that freaked me out. He was at a retail store and as a customer I was talking with him and upon leaving he extended his hand to tell me that it was nice talking to me. That's why I didn't know. Am I just being too paranoid with this?? I hope so!

Old 01-30-2005, 07:47 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

LoL, yes you are being too paranoid about this! It's NOT easy to catch HIV and you absolutely cannot catch it from hugging, touching, kissing, sharing cups or toilets with someone who has HIV or AIDS. You have to exchange a significant amount of infected fluids. So, if you want to worry that's fine - but choose something more worth worrying about

Closed Thread