It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 08:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
discussion on shaky legs

herews a question and answer about shaky legs, a common problem for anxiety sufferers, any comments

shaky legs:
Does anyone else have this happen to them? If you have to go into a mall or somewhere like that, first off I usually have to talk to myself like crazy to even walk to the door to get into the mall itself then to try and walk down the hall, I usually start out ok but then the anxiety gets so bad that my legs start to shake and I have to stop right in the middle of the aisle. And my legs wont stop shaking, I usually have to grab my husband's hand and hold onto it really tight and tell him I have to go sit down. We sit for a few minuites and I try to catch my breath while looking down, I feel so awful when this happens and people must be looking at me because I *am* pysically shaking. Has this happened to anyone else? And if so, what did you do to try to prevent it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

shaky legs or going weak at the knees is common, its best to relax and to not tense up or fight back as this makes the shaking worse, the problem is sometimes called jelly legs

stand with feet apart and relax, let go of all excess muscle tension in your legs and body
breathe deep and slow, shift your weight from 1 foot to the other, wait a while and think about something else
beta blocker meds, inderal etc as needed are good for reducing the shakes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 08:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

CyberNick HB User
Re: discussion on shaky legs

I have the same thing happen to me sometimes, usually like you said when I'm thinking about my anxiety too much. It usually happens in crowded places or really super-lit up places like malls, supermarkets and etc., but sometimes it happens even walking around my house.

I can't really explain it, my legs don't really "shake" persay, rather it feels like one leg kind of goes out a little like its sinking into the ground or something and I'll lose balance for a split second. It never happens unless I start thinking about it, just like most of my other symptoms.

I stretch a lot and it really seems to help my anxiety, not just with the legs but my muscle tension as well. When I used to wake up somedays I'd feel really tight in my back, thighs and arms, like I had been beat on the night before or something. Once I started stretching about 20 minutes a day I started feeling a lot better. I'm also way more flexible now, which is also a plus I guess hehe. I just feel more limber and less stiff all around.

Maybe you could try some length strengthening excercises or yoga, which is also good for staying limber. Try to stay active too. I used to sit at the computer a lot playing video games or just doing whatever, and it would make my legs feel really stiff and shaky like you described. Once I stopped sitting all day and started moving around a little more my legs also felt better.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

What about calming shaky hands? My lips will also tremble when I am really anxious. That's really the pits when you're trying to talk to the boss and your lips are trembling. It only happens when I think about it, also. Weird, huh?

Old 02-18-2005, 08:54 AM   #4
(female)

Jitterygal HB User

Oh, I am sooooo glad somebody brought this discussion up!!! That is how my anxiety started. Last February, my legs started feeling weak, especially when I would try to exercise. I thought I was just tired at first, but then my hands and arms started doing it. So I began going to doctor after doctor trying to determine what was the cause. Nobody could find anything, except a little hypertension. That was treated, but I still had these sensations and they were getting worse. So I finally went to the p-doc and he put me on Paxil CR. Boy, has it helped!! I still have times when I feel these sensations, but it is gradually getting better. I try to do relaxation exercises when I feel it coming on--it does help a lot. I lie down on the bed and envision all the anxiety lifting out of my body like a mist rising...anyway, there's my 2 cents worth....

Old 02-18-2005, 09:08 PM   #5
(female)

worriedfemale29 HB User

I have the same thing my leg goes numb feeling and trys to give out on me. My hands and arms also shake and tingle and feels as if they belong to somebody else. The only thing I have found to help it is to just sit down and try to relax and breath.

Closed Thread