It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2005, 03:34 PM   #1
(female)

volcomrxy21 HB User
loss of breath during panic attacks...?

I had a panic attack earlier today.... my first one in a couple years... I had almost forgotten what it felt like.
My panic attacks would typically occur when I was talking to someone (either one person or a group of people) and once the panic attack would begin, I would find myself not being able to breathe. Talking involves being able to breathe and talk at the same time..... so you can probably imagine how difficult this is for me when it occurs.

When it happened earlier I was talking to a customer, explaining something I've explained hundreds of times before, and suddenly I found myself dizzy and not being able to breathe. It only lasted for about 30 seconds, and I felt like an idiot half gasping as if I had just run a marathon. I tried my best to stay under control and not let it get too obvious.

Any suggestions on how I could alleviate the effects of a panic attack as it's occurring?

I have a speech coming up in about a month in front of a very large group, and I am terrified of it happening during the speech.

Old 01-30-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: loss of breath during panic attacks...?

I bet you a MILLION bucks the panic attack today was a result of your fear of public speaking that is coming up! S l o w, e v e n breaths are always helpful during a panic attack. It stops the viscious cycle of hyperventillating which makes you dizzier which makes you panic more, and so on and so on. Also, pay attention to the thoughts running through your head that you are not concious of. Sometimes we are thinking anxiously and don't even realize it. Recognizing that and replacing it with more positive thoughts may prove helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2005, 04:10 PM   #3
(female)

MarilynMonroe HB User
Unhappy HORRIBLE panic attacks

For the past few months, I've been experiancing absolutley horrible panic attacks. Most of the time it happens is when i'm in a car or when i'm not in an area i'm comfortable with. I feel like i'm going to die, Like i'm breathing but i'm not getting any air, my heart beats incredibly fast, I start to sweat, my head feels all messed up.......it's intolerable anymore....{REMOVED}...I was told that Kava Kava and Valerian Root is good for them but it doesnt seem to be helping....It's ESPECIALLY bad after I drink the night before, but I rarley do anymore because of this! {REMOVED}.....thank you so much.

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-30-2005 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Don't post off board contact information. Please re-read the posting rules.

Old 01-31-2005, 05:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: loss of breath during panic attacks...?

for breathing problems get doc to check if you have asthma

during a panic attack it helps to relax, accept it and work your way thru it, dont pretend it isnt happening and dont tense up and fight back against it

kava and valerian havent been shown to help, some valium as needed helps a lot

Closed Thread