It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2005, 08:16 PM   #1

samanthakay HB User
Exclamation Breathing problems at night

I have had anixety/panic disorder for about 10 years. Last father's day weekend I began having constant and severe irregular heart beat and am now on 37 mlgms. of Toprol (beta-blockers) to control it, which it does 95% of the time. In fact, that really isnt an issue for me right now. Over the last month or so, recently being worse, when I lay down to sleep and my body relaxes it becomes difficult for me to breathe. It's not rapid breathing but I just can't breathe very well. This happens almost every night and I usually lay in bed for 3 hours or so, very tired, but not being able to breathe very well. If I sit up it gets better. But once I do fall alseep it doesn't bother me anymore. Even if I get up to go to the bathroom or whatever it may be, I can go right back to sleep almost every time with little to no breathing problems.

My other problem, about twice a month I will be almost asleep and will wake up gasping for air. It will usually take me two gasps or so before i actually get to breathing again. That is very very scary. I am actually not breathing and fly straight up out of bed gasping.

I have had many heart tests, obviously, since I am on Toprol. Nothing. Is there something that may have been overlooked? Has anyone had these symptoms be anxiety related? I'm not talking about having a panic attack in bed or while sleeping - I can handle those. Just the breathing and gasping things. I am becoming very affected by this and am not sleeping. I would appreciate anyone shedding some light on this.
Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 05:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Breathing problems at night

Welcome to the board!

Mudhound

Old 02-07-2005, 08:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User
Re: Breathing problems at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthakay
I have had anixety/panic disorder for about 10 years. Last father's day weekend I began having constant and severe irregular heart beat and am now on 37 mlgms. of Toprol (beta-blockers) to control it, which it does 95% of the time. In fact, that really isnt an issue for me right now. Over the last month or so, recently being worse, when I lay down to sleep and my body relaxes it becomes difficult for me to breathe. It's not rapid breathing but I just can't breathe very well. This happens almost every night and I usually lay in bed for 3 hours or so, very tired, but not being able to breathe very well. If I sit up it gets better. But once I do fall alseep it doesn't bother me anymore. Even if I get up to go to the bathroom or whatever it may be, I can go right back to sleep almost every time with little to no breathing problems.

My other problem, about twice a month I will be almost asleep and will wake up gasping for air. It will usually take me two gasps or so before i actually get to breathing again. That is very very scary. I am actually not breathing and fly straight up out of bed gasping.

I have had many heart tests, obviously, since I am on Toprol. Nothing. Is there something that may have been overlooked? Has anyone had these symptoms be anxiety related? I'm not talking about having a panic attack in bed or while sleeping - I can handle those. Just the breathing and gasping things. I am becoming very affected by this and am not sleeping. I would appreciate anyone shedding some light on this.
Thanks so much!
Hello

Welcome to the Board!! Yes!! When my anxiety was at its worst years ago, this would always happen to me. It is just anxiety. Are you on any med's for anxiety/depression at all?? Don't worry too much over it. Make sure you have no caffeine before bed, just in case you're not doing this now, as this will help also. Good luck!!! B.T.W. Do you snore at all? I was kinda thinking that might be a sleep apnea episode also. My husband has this.
Melly

Closed Thread