It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2005, 05:14 PM   #1
(female)

sahaira HB User
what does fainting feel like?

One of my biggest "anxiety" fears is that I will just faint or pass-out. I think the problem is that I have never acutally passed out so I am afraid of it. Has anyone ever passed out and can describe what it feels like. I think being afraid of it is probably worse then acutally fainting. Is it a scary feeling?

Old 02-28-2005, 06:19 PM   #2

MKLowTone HB User
Re: what does fainting feel like?

I feel the same way - I often think that I'm going to pass out bnever actually have done so, though it seems less of an issue if I'm exercising

Maybe that would help you too

Last edited by MKLowTone; 02-28-2005 at 06:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
(female)

Smifeltork HB User

Is there a difference between fainting and passing out? Well anyway, I passed out once a couple years ago. I'm not sure if its the same with each situation, but here goes mine..
I was in a hospital visiting a friend, I saw blood on her and I felt weak really fast (felt like when you haven't eaten in a long time) and I had this unpleasent feeling in my throat I went to an elevator with my sister to go get some water in the hospital basement. As we were walking to the elevator I thought it was getting worse and by the time we were in the elevator everything was going black and I couldn't hear anything, finally I collapsed as soon as the elevator reached the 1st floor, but was only out for like 10 seconds. There was a nurse that asked if I needed a wheelchair but my sister said I was okay (I guess she thought I was messing with her) they left and then I stood up with my sister's help and was alright after I got a soda, but really shaky... Later she told me that she was talking to me in the elevator and that I kept almost falling and she would have to set me upright again and was telling me to stop (haha) and when I finally did collapse i hit my head and my elbow pretty hard. I don't remember any of that the only thing going through my head was to keep my eyes open and stay conscious.
Honestly, yes I was scared, and even though it wasn't very pleasant I'm not afraid of going through it again, and unless you have some medical conditon or suddenly stop eating you don't have a reason to faint, I think... Oh yeah and I think my sister was more afraid than I was, she kept looking at me as if I was going to do it again. Umm did I help, I hope I didn't make it worse.

Old 02-28-2005, 08:16 PM   #4
(female)

sahaira HB User

Thats interesting. You didnt make it worse I just wonder what it must feel like. I know that how I feel when I am extremely anxious has to be more scary then actually passing out. I wish I would because then at least I would get a break from the fear of it. It doesnt sound like it was too scary. Sorry you had to go through it!! I hope you never have to again

Old 03-01-2005, 02:04 AM   #5
(female)

tormenta HB User

Fainting feels like you are dizzy, then all you can think of is staying alert and awake, and then it all goes black. I am scared of fainting too, even though I fainted once before due to low blood pressure. (When I was 12. I'm 20 now.) I have anxiety that there is something horribly wrong with me and that I'm going to die from it. Needless to say that doesn't help my desire NOT TO FAINT!!!! ha ha.

Old 03-01-2005, 03:37 AM   #6

MKLowTone HB User

I think the blood thing is quite common; ie the sight of blood can make you pass out - I think it happens because your blood pressure drops really quick but don't quote me - when you pass out your body can then restabilise itself pretty quick though and it's not going to kill you

I've pulled enough people out of crowds at gigs because they've passed out with the heat as well and they've always been fine a couple of mins later. Still doesn't stop the fear though, eh...

Old 03-01-2005, 06:57 PM   #7
(female)

Marblehead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahaira
One of my biggest "anxiety" fears is that I will just faint or pass-out. I think the problem is that I have never acutally passed out so I am afraid of it. Has anyone ever passed out and can describe what it feels like. I think being afraid of it is probably worse then acutally fainting. Is it a scary feeling?
I have passed out like 3 times. Once after getting my ears pierced, the other time was at the dentists office and the third time was after giving birth. I lost alot of blood having my daughter and the first time I went to stand up after having her I passed right out. Dont remember a thing. It is a scary feeling. When I have fainted I always feel really hot and weak right before it happens. When you wake up you feel confused. NOT a comfortable feeling. You also feel like the volume on everything turns down in the 2 seconds before you pass out. I hope it never happens again. I always worry that if I faint then I won't wake up.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Hi, I have passed out several times due to anxiety. (I've had several tests ran by both a Cardiologist and a Neurologist and both agreed these spells were anxiety related)
I get lightheaded and feel like I am going to pass out almost on a daily basis, but I usually don't actually faint. During the times that I have actually fainted, my lightheadedness would come on very suddenly and I would pass out within seconds of feeling this way. I also get this overwhelming feeling of fear. The only thing I remember is feeling extremely dizzy/lightheaded and then I start to see "stars" or specks of light. That's the last thing I remember before everything goes black. People who have been around when this has happened to me have said that I'm only "out" for 30 seconds or less.

Thankfully, I haven't fainted in a few months now. Anytime I start to feel lightheaded, I immediately sit down to prevent it from happening.

Just remember...it is common to feel dizzy or lightheaded with anxiety, but actually fainting is rare.
Hilery

Old 03-02-2005, 12:07 PM   #9
(female)

coocoo HB User
Smile Re: what does fainting feel like?

hey this is coocoo, let me reply to your thread first, I have passed out a few times from different things, getting blood drawn, too hot,ect. it's not scary at all I think, it was actually quite a funny experience everytime, I don't mind it one bit, I wouldn't want it to happen everyday or anything like that but it does give you something to talk about As for my tread about buspar: I took one last night without food and it made me a little sick nothing I haven't gone through with other meds. but I just took another about 5 minutes ago I'll wait and tell you if i get sick this time with food last, night it took about 20 or 30 minutes before I felt sick so I'll post in a while.

Last edited by coocoo; 03-02-2005 at 12:08 PM.

Old 03-02-2005, 12:13 PM   #10
(female)

sahaira HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coocoo
hey this is coocoo, let me reply to your thread first, I have passed out a few times from different things, getting blood drawn, too hot,ect. it's not scary at all I think, it was actually quite a funny experience everytime, I don't mind it one bit, I wouldn't want it to happen everyday or anything like that but it does give you something to talk about As for my tread about buspar: I took one last night without food and it made me a little sick nothing I haven't gone through with other meds. but I just took another about 5 minutes ago I'll wait and tell you if i get sick this time with food last, night it took about 20 or 30 minutes before I felt sick so I'll post in a while.

Thanks! It's good to hear someone that is not afraid of passing out. Makes me feel a little better! I hope I never have to go through it but if I do I will make sure to remember what you have said. Sorry to hear that it made you a little sick but I am sure a little sick is better than anxiety! I would go for a little sick anyday Please keep in touch! -Sarah-

Old 03-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #11
(female)

coocoo HB User

hey, this is coocoo again I feel ok a little dizzy but not sick, so i guess eat with it, it seems to work better.

Old 03-05-2005, 02:38 PM   #12
(female)

coocoo HB User

It's coocoo,
I'm gonna stop taking it because I've only slept a total of 12 hours in 4 days I have to wait to call the doc monday and see whats up, It may be the other, paxil cr but I've taken that before so I don't know. I tell you what the doc says.

Old 03-05-2005, 05:30 PM   #13
(female)

sahaira HB User

Sorry to hear you are having problems with it - that doesnt sound encouraging. Maybe your body needs a week or so to get used to it?? I took Celexa a few years ago and developed insomnia from it. I was then given ambien for sleep- not a good mix. I was VERY Sick from the two of them. They told me to stop taking the Celexa. I havent taken anything similar since... Let me know!

Closed Thread