It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 11:35 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kcgage HB User
Anyone on Effexor XR and NOT gain weight?

My doctor just prescribed 37.5mg of Effexor XR along with the 50 mg of Zoloft. He is going to try to wein me off the Zoloft.

Did anyone take Effexor and NOT gain weight? I've seen a lot of postings about gaining weight......but none about anyone who didn't.......I only gained a few pounds on Zoloft but that could easily be attributed to other factors (like ice cream!).....

Thanks!

Old 03-08-2005, 12:09 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

greeneyes100 HB User
Re: Anyone on Effexor XR and NOT gain weight?

I took it for awhile and did not gain weight at all. It was the best antidepressant I was on. I had to quit taking it though, because it made me chronically and severely constipated! Too bad, because I think it's an excellent antidepressant and would have kept taking it had it not been for the severe constipation. Even when I took fiber, it was still there. A lot of times, even after taking a laxative, I could not go! It probably doesn't have that effect on everyone though. I hear mostly good things about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2005, 01:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

antidepressants dont make you gain weight, they dont alter your metabolism, you gain weight from eating more or exercising less

Old 03-08-2005, 01:59 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

greeneyes100 HB User

I know of some (but not all) people who have gained enormous amounts of weight on paxil, but still eating the same amount of food. So, I will have to disagree with you.

One girl I talked to was only eating one apple a day and could not lose weight.

I also heard the weight is hard to get rid of once you go off of paxil.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

kcgage, I am on effexor xr also and am concerned about weight gain. I am finishing my 75mg sample packet and my prescription is for 150mg. I noticed a difference when I first started the 37.5mg a couple of weeks ago. I felt a lot more calm and didn't need my xanax at all! I am worried about taking such a high dose, because I fear weight gain, but I am just going to take it and try and get more exercise. Sometimes it is easier said than done, but it has taken so many ad's for me to find the one that works, that I have to give it a try and see what happens. I don't have the carb cravings that I did with lexapro. I do feel that I don't have as much energy though, but that is probably because I am not so anxious anymore! Good luck and let me know how you're doing. I don't think I would worry too much about weight gain on only 37.5 mg.
Kelly

Old 03-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #6
(female)

MagicalDi HB User

Hi-
I'm on 75 mg Effexor and have not had any realy weight gain; maybe about 3-4 lbs. But I think that's just because I feel better, so I'm eating better. When I'm anxious, I don't eat, and lose weight. I've been ot it about 3 months.

Old 03-09-2005, 12:27 PM   #7
(female)

kinsey61 HB User
Question Re: Anyone on Effexor XR and NOT gain weight?

i am new to this board. I recently went off effexor, it was not the drug for me, i was kind of surprised to hear such high praise for it , but everyone is different. I felt I did gain weight with the effexor. i actually lost wieght when i first took Zoloft years ago, although that may have been just the effect of being active again
Is anyone currently taking a new drug called Cymbalta?( along with Zoloft ) I have been on a week now and am noticing some changes, but after the effexor I am leary of new drugs. i would appreciate any feedback

Old 03-09-2005, 07:23 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

kcgage HB User

Thanks everyone for your replies. Two more questions:

- What time of day is best to take it?
- Does anyone find they still have a sex drive? The Zoloft has killed my libido and I would love to get it back!!!

Old 03-10-2005, 03:34 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

I take mine at night just because some people on the board said to. I forgot to ask my doctor, so I don't know which is the best time.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:47 AM   #10
(female)

stuffisnice HB User

I've been on effexor for about 6 months now (after prozac, lexapro, and zoloft had all plateaued), and I've actually managed to lose weight. I'm down from 51kg to 47kg (I'm very petite). But I've started to wean myself off from today, I don't like the other side effects (irritable, dizziness, drowsiness, lack of concentration, increased sweatiness, weird heart "flip flops" etc).
I've been taking it in the morning, and also found my sex drive came back a little on effexor compared to the other ADs.

Closed Thread