It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2005, 01:24 AM   #1
(female)

primavera HB User
Question Physical symptoms due to anxiety? Please help

Hi, I'm new here so please bear with me!

I was wondering could my physical symptoms (please read on) be because of anxiety and stress. During the past year a lot has happened to me and I've been under and enormous amount of stress. (Since last May basically everything in my life has changed, with moving house and city, separation, getting back together, death of a parent, ongoing financial worry) and then some, so life feels like a struggle.
I have epilepsy, and had a routine MRI in February. However, the results showed very minor changes that just might coincide with MS.
My neurologist told me this over the phone and this piece of news just crushed me. Before that I had two weeks of setbacks and bad news, and then this.

The evening I heard the bad news I developed a needles and pins sensation all over my right leg, and a bad back pain that resembled Sciatica. A couple of days later I got upset before an important meeting and all of a sudden I felt my legs going heavy, the right one first then the left. I freaked out badly, and saw a doctor that night. She thought these problems were due to my back problems, but all I got were some painkillers. I was in a different city where they couldn't do more for me. I've seen a neurologist too, who thinks MS needs to be ruled out. I had an optic neuritis 5 years ago, but since then I've been OK. I'll be 40 this year so fairly "old" for MS.

When I saw the neuro this week my tingling symptoms quited down, but now I'm suffering from them again, if I have quiet time to think of them, or when I get upset. Sometimes I feel I even have hypertension instead of the pins and needles of my both legs and tighs, and a slight pressure on the left side of my face, which I developed yesterday. When I get upset my back pain can get intense. At night my symptoms can get worse and I can wake up to them, which I think is strange. I've suffered from insomnia too. I do fall asleep at night, sleep for two hours and so, and then wake up and stay awake....

The worst is, I'm so nervous all the time and keep on thinking of this condition over and over again. I'm so tired of this but can't stop! MS is my biggest fear, when I'm thinking of it I feel like a prisoner inside of me. I'm always thinking of the worst that might happen.

Prior to this health problem my mind was going crazy over the other problems that I was having, but not quite this badly.

Do you think the emotional/psychological upset, and the scare I got could be behind my problems? Does this sound familiar to anybody?
Thanks for reading this, and sorry that this is so long!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2005, 01:58 AM   #2
(female)

Porcelain_doll HB User
Re: Physical symptoms due to anxiety? Please help

Hi Primavera. I'm sorry you are going through a rough time. It sounds to me like you have something going on with your body, and the symptoms are causing you anxiety ...not the other way around. Chronic Anxiety and Stress do affect the immune system, but this usually results in frequent colds & more infections. Anxiety & Stress also cause a lot of nervous symptoms like digestive problems, panic attacks, weight loss or gain, hair loss, fatigue, headaches... Sometimes when I have a panic attack, I feel a tingling/numbness in my fingertips (the fight-or-flight response), but not in my legs. This has been my experience-not to say that stress is not adding to your problems. Maybe you have a pinched nerve or something similar. Try to relax, worrying won't make things better. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 03-09-2005, 02:24 AM   #3
(female)

pheobe13 HB User

Hi,

I don't know if your symptoms are definitely anxiety but I know that anxiety can cause some bizarre symptoms.

I had anxiety and depression for about a year, and in that time had all kinds of aches and pains. I used to get strange sensations in my legs, but not quite like you describe. It wasn't so much tingling as just dead or achey feelings. Like some days my legs would ache like I'd just run a marathon, even though I hadn't been anywhere! I could hardly move them, it was very distressing, but only caused by anxiety. (I was actually convinced that I had MS or some kind of degenerative disease, but the doctor wouldn't believe me because I was young.) I did have tingling in my hands a lot, often my fingers would feel numb. I also had an array of other small niggly odd sensations that were neither here nor there. (Like your sensation on one side of your face.)

Whether your symptoms are anxiety or not, the fact is that worrying is not gonna help one bit, only give you more confusing symptoms. It's possible it is just stress, so try and think positively. Like innocent until proven guilty, try not to worry for now. I know that's not as easy as it sounds. What worked for me was long soaks in the bath with mellow music playing, maybe some candles. Try and do things that relax you and take your mind off of it. I wish you good luck..

Old 03-09-2005, 06:00 AM   #4
(female)

primavera HB User

Thank you so much for your replies!
You are right about avoiding stress and excessive worrying.

Porcelain_doll, I've also had digestive problems for quite some time now, and one panic attack about a month ago. I can't remember whether I had any tingly sensations back then, I was so afraid, wanting to escape. My appetite can vary considerably, sometimes I'm extremely hungry between meals and sometimes have little appetite, but don't think my weight has changed one way or another.
I've also felt fatigue from time to time but that's usually been a reaction to depressive news. Today however I'm quite exhausted, and I haven't done nothing really.

Pheobe13, I can relate to you. I'm sorry you've had a rough time but sharing your story helped me. Most of the symptoms you described sound familiar so I'm starting to believe this is stress and anxiety related, ultimately triggered by emotional and psychological upset.

As for the tingling and such, I've got tingling also in my fingers and toes from time to time since 2001, but that's because of Topamax that I'm taking for Epilepsy.

Thanks again for your experiences, please keep posting!

Old 03-10-2005, 09:12 AM   #5
(female)

primavera HB User

Hi, just an update.

I saw my GP today for the ongoing back problems and the *****ling sensations (that I hardly feel any more) plus we talked about me being so stressed out too. After examining me she said I have lumbago, thus the distressing sensations. No doubt my senseless worrying has add to them as well!!

She also prescribed me Benzodiazepin for anxiety and told me how to go about taking it, etc.
Can you tell me what's your experience on benzodiazepin? I haven't had it or any other relaxant before. Thanks!

Old 03-10-2005, 10:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Please....try to calm down. I felt the anxiety from you in reading your post. Let me tell you something. The mind is a VERY powerful thing. It sounds like that you are soooo stressed out that they physical symptoms are coming out loud and clear. The other poster may be right in saying that the physical symptoms is bringing out the anxiety, but from what I was reading, it sounds like the other way around. Anxiety can definately produce many, many physical symptoms. The thing to do is to calm your state of mind and the body will follow. Pray to God for your healing and thank him for your healing. Thank him that things will be okay. Think good thoughts. Being in the state of mind you are in will only make thing way worse! I hope that everything goes well for you. You're in my prayers!!!

Old 03-10-2005, 12:48 PM   #7
(female)

primavera HB User

Thanks, Singer1, for your support -
reading your message made me feel better.
I'm doing better today

Take care!

Old 03-10-2005, 12:56 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

aslo HB User

I have similar things going on including the paresthesia(pins and needles) in my arms and legs, as well as muscle twitches, feet burning etc. So far I have no answers. But I also have bowel symptoms and like yourself suffer from panic /depression etc.
There is a board site on the internet dedicated to panic, and a good 90% of the people there post similar symptoms. tingling, burning, electric pains, muscle spasm, twitches.
You have some physical issues already, so its hard to say, but to answer your original question, I believe stress/panic/fear/depression, can cause all that you mentioned, and does.
From what I understand, MS typically starts with stocking glove sensations that is the hands and feet.
Perhaps a combination of back/nerve problems and stress. Best wishes.

Old 03-10-2005, 07:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

You are welcome! We are all here for you! Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Old 03-12-2005, 09:51 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

aslo HB User

As far as I know, not to contradict your doctor, but lumbago is a back problem that by definition doesnt radiate anything to the legs.
As far as your original question, I belong to several anxiety sites and the symptoms you see the most are paresthesia, tingling, burning, muscle twitches, anywhere on the body.
And it doesnt just happen when you are having an attack. Apparantly the body in panic becomes flooded with adrenalin, histamine, cortisol and stays like this until something changes. You are walking around with bad chemistry. Also medications you might have taken before now have a bad effect due to this chemistry. Since you do have a back problem and anxiety, its not difficult to see you having these symptoms.
So working on both as you are will probably help in time.Best wishes.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:29 AM   #11
(female)

primavera HB User

Hi aslo. Thank you for the good information!

I think "bad chemistry" describes the state of my body extremely well.
Unfortunately, that chemistry got worse: Someone I intensely dislike phoned me
which caused the tingling sensation I was having turn to nerve pain. For a day I was feeling uncomfortable, but now it's back to little tingle again. It's so strange, when something like that happens, it affects my body right there and then.

What is there to do to break this bad chemistry? Is there anything to do to change it, such as vitamins, herbs...? I'm not currently taking any medication for anxiety, I was prescribed diazepam, but was afraid to take it because of the strong painkillers I was taking.
I've been thinking of St. John's wort, that should work for depression/anxiety.
What's your opinion on drugs?

Something I've find helpful are these funny women's novels. Reading something light keeps you concentrated enough, but it doesn't strain you.

Thank you again, everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslo
As far as I know, not to contradict your doctor, but lumbago is a back problem that by definition doesnt radiate anything to the legs.
As far as your original question, I belong to several anxiety sites and the symptoms you see the most are paresthesia, tingling, burning, muscle twitches, anywhere on the body.
And it doesnt just happen when you are having an attack. Apparantly the body in panic becomes flooded with adrenalin, histamine, cortisol and stays like this until something changes. You are walking around with bad chemistry. Also medications you might have taken before now have a bad effect due to this chemistry. Since you do have a back problem and anxiety, its not difficult to see you having these symptoms.
So working on both as you are will probably help in time.Best wishes.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:12 AM   #12
(female)

primavera HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslo
Hi aslo, thanks also for the information on back problems. Actually I was wondering about that myself. When all my problems began, I experienced a bout of sciatica, something I've had before, and sciatica radiates, right?
But since then I've had a variety of problems that match lumbago as well. It feels like I'm suffering from both, or who knows!
But anyway I'll have to check this if it continues!

Thank you for your help.
I hope you are well

Old 09-14-2005, 11:59 AM   #13
(male)

arcaro HB User

I know this is a old post but it rings too close to home , I have had the same problems with my back. this summer in june I had it go out on me. I think that anxiety / stress is the problem .. I have major back spasm in it which put me down for a week, Till it calms down, I know my frame of mind when these happen is STRESSSSSS. I bought that book by dr. sarno , healing back pain. I tell ya , it sounds just like me and my symptoms. heres a link to check out.
{REMOVED}

I feel its true , yet its hard to believe it. I had a mri and showed 2 bulges in my back, it freaked me out but, i STILL think it is stress, cause there are so many doctors that say bulges are normal.

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-14-2005 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Don't post website addresses unless they are pre-approved via e-mail by mod1 first. Thanks, ms_mod

Old 09-19-2005, 12:45 PM   #14
(male)

mccory301 HB User

Anxiety can cause the legs to be tired. Remember anxiety makes everything work faster even when your not ready for it. That term for the legs is caused restless legs

Closed Thread