It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2005, 04:11 PM   #1

LonelyTraveler HB User
Unhappy Can an anxiety/panic attack last for weeks?

It all started with a bat flying over my head at night which triggered my most recent panick attack which later turned into full-blown anxiety and now I'm on like day 5 and even with the Celexa and the ocassional benzos, I'm still feeling very nervous and wired up most of the time. I'm feeling this way even though I put the incident out of my mind several days ago and even though I've cut way back on caffiene. So why do I still have foggy head/fuzzy head/spacy/panicky/neck pains/jittery/swallowing probs, etc?. How long do these things last?. I am so tired of all this )-;

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2005, 09:17 PM   #2
(female)

tormenta HB User
Re: Can an anxiety/panic attack last for weeks?

I had the same thing. I had a panic attack 4 weeks ago and I still feel like I am running on the adrenalin thing. I can't switch off my mind. (Doesn't help that it was a health anxiety panic attack) I feel flat or exhausted but I am on constant alert. I went to hospital and they said it might be due to the fact that I am having an allergic reaction to the meds but they don't know. Could be that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 11:09 AM   #3

purrsia HB User

Hi Lonely...It sounds like are suffering from the anxiety of having another attack. What meds. are you taking? When I have a major panic attack, it usually takes me a few weeks to forget about the awful feelings from an attack. I have found that I can even put myself into a panic if I think about it. I haven't had a full blown panic for some time now, but I've also learned how to redirect my thinking when I feel one coming on. I take Xanax and it has worked wonderful for me.

Old 03-15-2005, 11:14 AM   #4

purrsia HB User

I forgot to put one more thing. A panic attack usually does not last more than five minutes because our bodies won't let that happen. Our parasympathetic system, which releases endorphins (natural relaxants for the body), will kick in as soon as the brain recognizes what is happening and the attack will stop. Although, this can leave you shaken and fatigued. If you can busy yourself with something else, this will help you take your mind off the attack long enough to get your body in a more relaxed state.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:25 PM   #5
Veteran

Comptons HB User

My anxiety (which is how a characterize it) is just as you've stated. It can last for days and even weeks. It's now a full-blown panic attack, but rather just a general uneasiness. Sometimes I have dizziness, lump in my throught, difficulty breathing, my ears get red hot, and I'm just all-around uncomfortable and jittery. To me, this is worse than the attacks.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:35 PM   #6
(male)

theforlorn HB User

My attacks come in waves and the effects of a bad set of panic attacks can last up to a month or slightly longer.

Like most of the other replies, after a bad attack I feal uneasy, disassociated, tense and on edge. Not to mention exhausted, antsy and my hands are ALWAYS clamy. I hate that. I also suffer from IBS after a bad panic attack.

None of the following attacks are nearly as bad as the original, but come and go as they please. For some reason I always seem to feel much better at the end of my day and in to the later hours of the night after a day of panic or anxiety.

Closed Thread