It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Kava Kava Extract for social anxiety?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2005, 11:35 PM   #1
Ogrt48
(male)

Ogrt48 HB User
Kava Kava Extract for social anxiety?

Well I'm thinking about starting this tomorrow and wanted to find out some more info on it. How long does this take to kick in for anxiety, a few days to weeks? Also what is the recommendd dose? I've only seen it in 250mg 30% tablets around here. So should I take 1 pill or 2 pills a day?
I'm just hoping this helps me with my talking to my best friend problem. =\
Does kava kava give people energy or sedate them, or does it not effect that at all?
I've been on St Johns Wort for just over a week and its just too slow and making me sleep all day long, I need to try something else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 04:43 AM   #2
1blueangelz
(female)

1blueangelz HB User
Re: Kava Kava Extract for social anxiety?

Hiya, not sure on other stuff but I think Kava Kava is the one that is hard on the liver....

Old 03-14-2005, 04:45 AM   #3
pheobe13
(female)

pheobe13 HB User

Hi, me again,

I have taken Kava kava, it's quite effective almost straight away. It doesn't sedate you, only relaxes. It's a muscle and nervous system relaxant. The only odd thing I noticed was that my legs felt a little heavy at times, but nothing to worry about at all. I guess you might notice something in about 20 mins after taking it. I would start on the lowest dose and increase it if you need to, not taking any more than it says.

There is an issue about kava kava causing liver damage, but there are arguments both ways. I would check it out for yourself on a search engine. I heard that the real reason it was banned was that some people had abused it, by taking loads, and that had caused liver failure. But that is third hand information so I don't really know. It might not be worse for you than drinking too much, and believe me, you don't wanna do that, so the Kava might be the better option.

There is also Valerian, which acts in the same way as valium, but is much more gentle, and actually might not even be strong enough to help. But it would be worth a go, as velarian is basically harmless.Good luck..

Old 03-14-2005, 09:09 AM   #4
Ogrt48
(male)

Ogrt48 HB User

Well here it goes, I just picked up this kava kava. {REMOVED}

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-14-2005 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Don't post commercial website addresses.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:25 AM   #5
Ogrt48
(male)

Ogrt48 HB User

{REMOVED}
I'll try writing the label into here I guess.
It's called Kava Kava Extract 250mg 30% kavalactones 60 capsules.
supplement facts serving size 1 capsule
kava kava extract (piper methysticum)(root) 250mg per serving
std. to 30% kavalactones 75mg
kava kava (piper methysticum)(root) 50mh per serving

Thanks for the help. I took 1 a little over 20 minutes ago

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-14-2005 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Sharing the brand name of something is fine, posting links to commerical websites however violates the board posting rules.

Old 03-14-2005, 02:13 PM   #6
sherbear24
(female)

sherbear24 HB User

Good luck with the Kava Kava. It had worked wonders for me until all the drugstores and health food stores in my area took it off the shelves. Because of the fear of liver damage that Kava Kava can possibly cause they are not restocking their shelves with the product. For me it worked pretty much immediately (within 20 mins. or so). It should just make you feel relaxed and not tired. Try the recommended dose and see how it works for you. Just in case you want to increase the dosage try contacting a health food store and see what they say. (A pharmacist usually does not know too much about herbal supplements). I would be careful just because of some reports of potential liver damage. I am sure though those are people that have taken a tremendous amount over a long period of time.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:42 PM   #7
Ogrt48
(male)

Ogrt48 HB User

Well I took one this mourning and I didn't notice a single thing today after taking it. I'll keep trying for a bit though.

Old 03-19-2005, 03:58 PM   #8
Ogrt48
(male)

Ogrt48 HB User

I was wondering if this takes awhile to start working in some people? I started it on monday and I haven't noticed a single thing since taking it. I had read about it working within 20-30 minutes for other people.
Thanks

Closed Thread