It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2005, 12:24 PM   #1

bushleaguer HB User
trouble speaking...shortness of breath

I've been diagnosed with Panic and Social Anxiety Disorder. I've been taking Klonopin, which has kept the full-blown panic attacks at bay. But I've had some rough time with some SSRIs and have had an increase in anxiety.

The past two months I've noticed that I've become short of breath while speaking. My back and ribs will become tense and tighten, and I will notice a pain in the center area of my abdomen below the ribcage.

I am 34 and trying to quit smoking....so I immediately chalked it up to having emphysema or another component of COPD. I went to the doctor recently for a sprained foot, and asked (practically demanded) to have a spirometry test done to have my lungs checked. They did, and while it wasn't great (lungs of a 54 year-old) it didn't indicate COPD or any other lung disease. My doctor said there were signs of both restriction and obstruction, but this is not unusual when the person is still an active smoker. Overall he said my lungs were ok. I told him I wasn't convinced, so he did a chest x-ray...again he said he saw no abnormalities. In my persistance that I have something wrong, I asked about a cat-scan....but he said he couldn't write a script/referral for one because my other tests didn't warrant it.

I am wondering if anyone has had similiar symptoms....not being able to breathe properly while talking and getting short of breath. My regular doctor said "most likely anxiety" but I've never heard or read of anxiety causing such a symptom.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2005, 06:23 PM   #2

cynder HB User
Re: trouble speaking...shortness of breath

I am so glad I found someone who is experiening what I have been. Lately seems when I get anxious I have trouble speaking without getting short of breath. I almost feel like I am excited. Anyway I have noticed this and my doc said it was probally anxiety as well I am 50 and dont smoke but am overweight.
Cynder

Old 03-30-2005, 12:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

stress and anxiety can cause this problem, relax more when speaking and dont try too hard
more klonapin will help by relaxing the muscles
jacuzzi or spa baths or a hot tub also relax you

Old 07-04-2005, 05:01 PM   #4

ceceliamurphy HB User

actually that shortness of breath, ironically enough, is a symptom of smoking cessation.
only temporary, of course.

Closed Thread