It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2005, 01:51 PM   #1

fawnieb HB User
I need help on what to do about my new found FEAR of Speaking

I had to a presentation in class (I'm 28 and taking college courses) I had to do a presentation in front of the class with 2 other people..when they handed the presentation over to me to demonstrate how to access the web from a cell phone, as I began to demonstrate on the projector by pushing the keys on the phone my hands started shaking uncontrollably, I grabbed hold of the phone and proceeded with the demonstration, I held the phone tighter to disguise my shaking, but the tighter I held the phone the more intense the shaking was, the class began to laugh, and at that point I stumbled over my words and had to hand the phone over to my partner so he could complete the demonstration, the class began to laugh again, when they saw I couldn't complete the demonstration. This happened yesterday, and I can not stop thinking about it, I never knew that my fear to stand up in front of class rom was this serious, I actually started feeling nauseous and wanted to run out of the room..Has anyone experienced anything like this? what can I do, should i go to the doctor for meds..I can't imagine how my next presentation will go..please help..

Old 04-12-2005, 02:08 PM   #2
(female)

santo HB User
Re: I need help on what to do about my new found FEAR of Speaking

hey, that is so normal, and i shake when i'm at the center of attention too. practice can really help. practice in front of friends and family you're comfortable with, and maybe try reciting something when you're in a crowded place. or even just go out, and talk with a friend in a busy place like a store.

it'd help if you could pinpoint exactly what triggers your fear and then challenge it with thoughts in your head. if you're scared of people staring at you, think to yourself when you're up there, "well, everyone is just admiring how pretty/nice i look," or even say, "this is NOTHING, i can do anything." if you have a confident voice in your head, it'll make a lot of difference. not to get super corny on you, but just like dr. phil says (i'm sorry haha) "you believe what you tell yourself." if you tell yourself that doing a presentation is nothing, it'll be over in 5 minutes, no sweat, who cares, etc. it can take the edge off. tell yourself the things you'd tell someone else who was nervous in a similar situation.

and of course there's the classic; picture everyone naked. it's all mental, the fear is in your head- so fight it with positive mental thoughts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: I need help on what to do about my new found FEAR of Speaking

to fawnieb

you had an anxiety attack and probably now have a phobia about presentations

if it happens again dont tense up or fight back, instead try to relax and breathe deep and slow

do a public speaking course, also practise reading out aloud and giving presentations when alone

get some valium type meds and a beta blocker med such as inderal, these will help a lot next time and are used by many who have to speak in public, also singers and musicians

Closed Thread