It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2005, 05:50 PM   #1
(male)

RavenShield HB User
Panic Disorder

Do people who suffer from panic disorder have to take an antidepressant for a long time? And if the medication treatment is "completed" will the symptoms come back or does the medication permanently, or partially correct the chemical imbalance even without taking the medication?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
(female)

RubySlippers HB User
Re: Panic Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenShield
Do people who suffer from panic disorder have to take an antidepressant for a long time? And if the medication treatment is "completed" will the symptoms come back or does the medication permanently, or partially correct the chemical imbalance even without taking the medication?
Panic disorder manifests itself differently in each individual case. Different medications work differently for each of us and depending on the kind or type of disorder, the treatment will vary.

If you have panic disorder, you will probably try a few (or maybe several) different medications on your quest to find the one that works best for you. When you do find the right medication you may take it for a while and them, after a while you may find that you do not need the meds anymore...it really depends on your situation. I have depression that is akin to panic attacks. I have had depression all my life and have taken many different meds to combat it. After years of searching I'm still not sure I'm on the right med. I do also suffer from panic attacts for witch I take xanax 1mg. I am prescribed three times per day but I usually only take two a day. Some days I do take three and some days I take four....it just depends on how I'm feeling.

I've known several people who experience intermittent panic disorder and they will use medication on an as needed basis. I'm not sure if you are asking if panic disorder can be "cured". I think a cure would depend on several things including therapy to determine the cause of the problem and to figure out how to fix it...if possible.

Panic disorder and the medications used to help it are not like the antibiotics you get for the flu, whereas you take a course of antibiotics and you are done with the illness. Most people who have panic disorder have it for life. It comes and goes, flares up and goes into remission if you will. The mental aspect of the patient weighs heavily on the method of treatment for panic disorder ...ie...therapy, biofeedback, accupuncture and/or drugs. Panic disorder is a multi level disease. Given that fact, there are many factors that would contribute to a "cure" or a lifelong issue. If you know of a cure, please let us know...as at least I would love to find one.

Good Luck
Angela

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread