It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2005, 11:52 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

NathanF41 HB User
Increased heart rate

Hey everybody,

I'm assuming that a lot of you get increased heart rate from your anxiety? Sometimes I'm not really doing anythng and I go from mid 70's to mid 90's. What do you do to control this? What natural things can you do (besides basic exercise), and what meds have helped???

Thanks!

Old 04-28-2005, 11:54 AM   #2
(male)

AnnArborHawk HB User
Re: Increased heart rate

Slow deep breathing works for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2005, 05:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

I wish mine was 90! This was how my anxiety disorder got detected.
Rapid HB with no known cause. Had tons of test done even got run through the Mill at a Cardiologist.
Mine resting was 121 and higher for no reason.
I take Inderal La it's a beta blocker. This slowed it down to 67 within an hour. I take it every day.
I also take other anti anxiety meds.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:12 PM   #4
(female)

Verucah HB User

My normal heart rate is in the 80's, but when my anxiety hits ( which usually happens when my nose is stuffy ) my heart rate is between 90 and 100.

Is this ever dangerous?

Verucah

Old 04-30-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
(male)

richdaws1984 HB User

Hey people,

I too have a fast heart rate. Doc's says its SVT but i think its more anxiety related as it only happens during social occassions.

Im on verapimil, which is a beta blocker. (To be honest it doesnt seem to do bugger all, but, doctors orders and all that!!!

(SVT is where your heart can beat fast totally randomly without warning)

Anyway, since this happened i have become very aware of my heart beat and always find myself checking my pulse. My resting heart rate is now between 68 and 80 on average.

But when it starts up it goes up to about 120+. This can last hours.

I have heard SO MANY MIXED OPINIONS about whether a fast heart rate is dangerous! Some doctors tell me if my heart beats over 100 for more than an hour then call an ambulance. Others have told me to ignore it because my heart is more than capable of beating this fast for days!

I was visiting my sister in hospital last week (she just had a baby) and i was talking to one of the nurses. Her heart rate was 100 all the time! Apparantly some people are like that and have a generally fast heart rate. She has also heard lots of different views. Some saying she will die younger, some say shes fine!

Basically nobody knows! No point worrying about it though! That just adds to the anxiety and makes it beat faster.

If you feel that your heart beat is too fast and its been going on for a while then get help. Just to be safe. Especially if you get chest pain, etc...

Like AnnArborHawk said slow breathing helps slow HR down, so does bearing down (like your taking a number 2 ) and if you feel the need, dipping your head in cold water is meant to work!

Later.

Oh, Question for Bell99. Can i ask how long youve been on beta blockers?

I am only 20 and started mine about 2 months ago. Are there any effects of taking them long term? What if i need them for the rest of my life? I dont want to become reliant on taking pills for the rest of my life! Plus, if i do become reliant on them then my dose will keep needing to be made higher wont it?

Thank-you Rich

Last edited by richdaws1984; 04-30-2005 at 11:45 AM.

Old 04-30-2005, 11:56 AM   #6
(male)

allen_dave HB User

I'm not a doctor, but it's my understanding that beta blockers are not addicting and their dosage does not normally need to be increased to have the same affect over time. You should ask your doctor about this to be sure.

Old 05-01-2005, 10:26 PM   #7
(female)

Havaheart HB User

My heartrate was over 100 resting. They first tested me for thyroid and discovered my thyroid was too high. After takings Levothroid for several months and seeing no difference in my heart rate they decided it was Anxiety causing it and now I'm taking the Thyroid medication in addition to Buspar and Atenolol which is a beta blocker. My heart rate is now less than 100. I'm not sure what the long term side effects of the betablocker are but I know in reading the RX info that it's a drug you can't just stop taking. And I hope to one day get off of it. And as far as the buspar I'm thinking of asking the doctor to try something else. I've been on it over two years and feel it's not working that great anymore.

Old 05-02-2005, 05:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

People take beta blockers life long for various Heart related problems.
I have been on one for over a year and it will be life long for me.
I take 80 mg of Inderal LA and 15 buspar twice a day and now they put Lexapro in the mix.
I have been to 3 GP , a Cardiologist, Psychiatrist and two Gyno's. Every one told me Buspar typically isn't real effective past a year.
The last Dr. told me "studies have not been done to prove the effectivness over a one year period"?

Closed Thread