It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

adam2000 HB User
Did Lexapro make anyone more anxious when they started taking it?

Ive been taking 5mg (of the 10) of lexapro to get started on it. My head feels heavy, im tired, dizzy and generally feel more restless and anxious than i did before. Is this a normal reaction to starting it?

Adam

Old 04-30-2005, 08:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User
Re: Did Lexapro make anyone more anxious when they started taking it?

Hi Adam!! Been wondering how you are doing.
I went to the Dr. yesterday to ask how long these side effects last because YES I felt the same way. He said "if you are having side effects that means it's working" good answer huh?
I am on day 9 and he still wants me to stay at 5 for a while.
At first I was really scared because I felt so anxious like I was going to explode out of my skin.
I had energy bursts then would just want to lay down.
Now I am just kind of tired with little energy at all. Also my appetite is terrible.
The one good things is I am sleeping great. I take mine in the morning.
All he told me other than the lovely bit of advice above was it's raising the seratonin levels and your brain has to "adjust".
I can not tell you how many days I wanted to stop taking it.
I am beginning to think the only way to over come anxiety disorder is through cognative therapy which is so darn expensive.
One thing you may want to try which I did was break the half in half. Take it a few hours apart. Also eat something to help slow down how fast it obsorbs.
Hope this helps?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

adam2000 HB User

Well its good to hear this isnt just me. The side effects are terrible so far. I had a panic attack out of nowhere the other day and almost fainted. The jumping out of the skin thing i completely understand. I am so restless I just lay around moving constantly. And the dizziness is just as bad. When i walk around feeling anxious and dizzy already, I just get more anxious until i drive myself into panic. Im sure one of these days Ill end up fainting at work. Unless by some miracle I wake up monday morning and the side effects are magically gone!

I started taking half the lex about 8 days ago, while i was weaning off my paxil. Felt so nasty and almost fainted at work, so i was home wednesday - friday. wednesday night i was instructed to not take any more paxil or lex, (i was down to 1/8 of a pill of paxil anyway) to give my body a rest and to start up on the lex thursday night. So i took it for 2 nights now. Yesterday wasnt toooo bad. but today has been worse.

Tuesday morning I have an appointment with a psychiatrist so i hope i can get some help. I wish these side effects would subside so i could continue with my life. im worried about how Im going to work now...

Old 04-30-2005, 10:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

Hi Bell99, I have been looking for you to post as I was anxious to see how your doctor appt went yesterday. You know what, you may not even need but 5mg, if you are really sensitive to meds. Been talking to Adam and keeping up with him, but the others haven't posted in a few days so I was wanting to see how everyone was doing. You guys hang in there, I am sorry you're having so much trouble adjusting, but it is really going to get better, I had about a week of adjusting and then I felt fine on it. I guess I am just one of the lucky ones, huh?

I have been reading some other people's posts about anxiety, and realized that I have had this for years - I just didn't know what it was! Weird, huh? I am glad to know now that I wasn't crazy or anything, it was anxiety that made me feel that way. When I would really get bad anxiety - it would make me nauseated and want to throw up. I had lots of stomach problems and got tested for it over and over, only they never could find anything, and said it was a "nervous stomach". I really hope you and Adam get as much good out of the Lex as I have!

Jackie

Old 04-30-2005, 11:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

anxiety sufferers often have severe reactions when starting an antidepressant med, valium type meds help a lot but sadly most docs have been brainwashed into not prescribing any

the early side effects arent believed by some docs who think the patient is just exagerating
occasionally there are severe side effects, involving trips to hospital, sometimes in an ambulance, in this case the patient usually never returns to the doc, so doc never gets to hear what happened

Old 04-30-2005, 11:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Check my first appointment thread. doing okay side effects are not too terrible just kind of mellow and tired now.

Old 04-30-2005, 12:12 PM   #7
(male)

allen_dave HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hry33
anxiety sufferers often have severe reactions when starting an antidepressant med, valium type meds help a lot but sadly most docs have been brainwashed into not prescribing any.......
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way about tranquilizers and anxiety. I have been battling anxiety for 35 years and tranquilizers are the only thing that works effectively.

Please read my post about myself here:
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=253586[/url]

I will be seeing my doctor again soon. He will usually prescribe medications I ask for as long as it's "safe" and he feels it may help. On my last visit, I was interested in trying Buspar, but instead he recommended another anti-depressant that makes me very sleepy and tired. Is Buspar still being used and does it work?

Old 04-30-2005, 01:32 PM   #8

amy12345 HB User

Adam, the side effects you are talking about were the exact ones I had when I started Lexapro. But then, about a month after I started taking it, something clicked on and then I felt the most calm I've ever felt. Even more so with a 'booster' of Remeron but those side effects were just too much to handle, so now it's back to just Lexapro and that's fine for me.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:56 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

adam2000 HB User

Amy,

Good to hear. The thing that is messing me up is the dizziness. I get so dizzy sometimes, that it throws me into a panic. The only thing thats been sort of helping me is taking 1/2 an ativan here or there to keep me calm. if it werent for that id be a mess. I hope I dont have to wait a month...i cant work like this, and i need insurance to pay for this and a job to pay for the insurance lol ugh what a vicious circle!

Old 04-30-2005, 11:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

My Dr. just prescribed me Lexapro(10mg) for my anxiety and I'm not looking forward to taking it. I have been taking Valium (5-10mg) for over a year and it has done wonders to help my anxiety symptoms. Now, out of nowhere, my Dr. decides he doesn't want to prescribe it to me anymore and prescribes Lexapro instead. I think he's worried about dependency with Valium, but I've only taken it on an as needed basis. Sometimes a few times a week...somtimes a couple times a month. I really don't feel that I am dependent on it, but it is the only med that has ever helped my severe symptoms.

Last edited by hilery79; 05-03-2005 at 08:01 AM.

Old 05-01-2005, 08:51 AM   #11
Veteran
(male)

adam2000 HB User

Well today, i dont feel as restless but if i stand up and walk around im dizzy and feel as if im going to pass out. this is not cool...

Old 05-01-2005, 10:20 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Sorry you are having such a rough time. Did you take it at night or in the morning?? How much did you take? Buspar does that to me but it passes.

Old 05-01-2005, 10:35 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

adam2000 HB User

Ive only been taking 5mg at bedtime. I took it at about 1030 pm last night, is this normal? Its almost debilitating...i dont know how i can function at work tomorrow if i feel like that...ugh

Old 05-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

I'm not sure there is a normal? We all react different. Did you sleep okay?
I felt like death the first morning after I took it.
I take mine in the morning and it doesn't make me dizzy but that is not to say it can't happen either.
Are you eating okay and all. I know it's messed with my appetite.
When I get dizzy I go outside and take deep breaths of "fresh" air in through my nose and slowly let it out my mouth. It really helps clear the head.

Old 05-01-2005, 11:19 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

Hey Adam & Bell99

I agree with Bell99, I think I do better with side affects if I take mine in the morning. I have taken it both ways twice - and back to a.m., and seems like I sleep better at night, and don't feel as rough when I wake up either. With taking it at night, I definitely felt woozy in the mornings when I got up, especially at first. I guess I am still adjusting, as I haven't been in it quite a month yet. I'm not taking any allergy meds today, just to see what side affects I notice.

Adam, I sure hope you get the dizziness under control so you can function tomorrow. Why not take it a couple of hours earlier tonight, and each night a bit earlier, working yourself up to mornings to see if you find you can tolerate it better that way like Bell and myself.... just a thought

I wouldn't go up to the 10mg for a while, just get adjusted to the 5mg first and slowly work up. Also, like Bell99 had said (I think it was her) eat it with food to minimize the side affects. Are you still having nausea with it?

Jackie

Closed Thread