It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2005, 10:16 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
Need advice with Xanax and antidepressants - need the instant relief feeling

I need some advice from people who have had success with antidepressants. I have been taking Xanax on an as needed basis for about two years. My doctor also put me on Zoloft for a while, didn't work, and I have also been on lorazepam and klonopin. My problem is, I feel like I have to have the Xanax because the only thing that comforts me when I start having attacks is knowing that Xanax will give me that quick feeling of relief, that i can literally feel in my body. With the longer lasting drugs like Klonopin, I would feel bettrer in general but would still get panicky every now and then, and knowing I couldn't take the instant relief of Xanax made it all the worse.

My problem now is that I am no longer taking Xanax as needed, I take it pretty much every day to get through, the last few months I have been constantly anxious/nervous. i need to get on something that has more of a long term solution I know, but I am terrified of not having Xanax with me at all times.

My question is, when you go on an anti-depressant or a long acting benzo like Klonopin, is it supposed to completely eliminate your panicky feelings? If so, maybe I wasn't taking a high enough dosage. Also, is it real bad to take Xanax occasionally when you are on another drug?

Old 05-16-2005, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Need advice with Xanax and antidepressants - need the instant relief feeling

if you can find an antidepressant that works for you, you will need little or no xanax, it can be a difficult search, you could try effexor, its a different type to zoloft

you can stay on the xanax, any benzo helps to get you used to an antidepressant, xanax needs to be taken more often than klonapin but otherwise its the same, IMO

you should also be learning relaxation and CBT and not just relying on meds

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2005, 01:00 PM   #3
(male)

allen_dave HB User
Re: Need advice with Xanax and antidepressants - need the instant relief feeling

mjewell, I've been dealing with this for about 35 years and I'm in the same boat as you except I take valium (an old benzo). I also take paxil which didn't help me much, and have tried a couple of other SSRIs.

In my opinion, if your anxiety is bad (like mine), there's no SSRIs that will "eliminate" panicky feelings completely. Hope I'm wrong......

Old 05-16-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

allen dave - i read one of your other posts this morning about that and it made me feel better to know there is someone else out there that is the same way, I guess everyone is different, different things work (or don't work) for different peeps.

hrry, I have tried CBT and relaxation, doesn't seem to work for me since my anxiety mostly stems from a phobia and not just stress. For some the combo of CBT and drugs works wonders, but not for me!

Closed Thread