It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2005, 04:44 AM   #1
(male)

DarkChange HB User
Urgent, can I take motrin (ibuprofen) with xanax?

Im having problems breathing again and im wondering that if I can take ibuprofen with xanax? since I took a 200mg tablet earlier for a migraine, its not that im allergic to it but im just worried that these two together might cause problems? im wheezing a bit so I need to be a bit careful on what im taking.

Old 05-17-2005, 06:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Urgent, can I take motrin (ibuprofen) with xanax?

Normally, I would say "Yes, the 2 can be taken together".

However, if you have asthma, I think that you have the potential for problems with ibuprofen anyway, do you not? THAT is what I'd have you ask your doctor or pharmacist. As far as drug interactions, I feel confident that they are okay together, but since you don't know me, it would be safest for you to contact your doc or pharmacist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2005, 07:20 AM   #3
(female)

mae_mae HB User

I take xanax and i cant take any otc drug with it....so i would say NO dont take anything with it...my doctor told me not to even use nasal spray with it....so dont mix anything with it it is harmful

Old 05-17-2005, 07:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Mae Mae, why did your doctor tell you you can't take anything else with it? was there a particular reason? I take everything in the book with it because of my migraines and allergies and my dr has never said that was bad.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

I'd be interested to know why your Doctor told you that also.
I don't take Xanax any more, but when I did I took Extra-Strength Tylenol, my allergy medication and on occasion when I would get a sinus infection I took antibiotics all while on the Xanax and my Doctor and the Pharmacy told me there would be no problem doing that.
I took Xanax for a long time and never had problems taking it with the Tylenol, allergy medication or the antibiotics.
In fact a couple of years ago I had knee surgery and they asked me at the Hospital if I took any prescription medication and I told them what I took and they said that was fine that I could take both of those medications the day of my surgery.

I'm not doubting your word, I'd just be interested to know why your Doctor told you that.

As for the Ifuprofen I really can't answer that question because I'm allergic to it....if you have doubts you should call your Doctor or Pharmacy.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat, aren't you the one who finally got over your anxiety and just didn;t have to take drugs anymore after taking Xanax for years and years? I think i remember another thread with you talking about that. How in the heck did you do it? Did it just go away on its own or did you have to proactively do something? Do you think with some people it goes away with age? My grandma used to get migraines and PAs like me and she said one day they just "went away." God I hope thats the case with me.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

Hi,

Yep that's me.
I took Xanax for 7 years and just woke up one day and knew that I felt different and knew that I didn't need it any more.
I didn't do anything, they just left.
It came on out of the blue and that's the way it went away, no reason it just came and went all on it's own.

In fact it's done that twice...when I look back on it now I know I was having panic attacks when I was a little girl, but at the time I didn't know anything was wrong, I thought everyone felt the way I did.

Anyway, the first full blown attack I had I was 16 and I had them until I was almost 23.
Then they just left, I weaned of the Xanax and never had a hint of a problem until I was somewhere around 29 or 30.
They came on the same way they did the first time, out of the blue.
Then one day around 6 years later, I woke up and they were gone again.
I weaned off the Xanax again and I've been panic and anxiety free for about a year now.

I don't know if age has anything to do with it or not, it may for some people but didn't seem to make a difference in my case.

My Doctor did tell me that when they come on for no reason and leave for no reason that most, not all, but most of the time if you look back in your family you'll find that someone else has or still does suffer from panic and anxiety problems.
He said it doesn't have to be a parent he said it could go back a couple of generations.
I came to find out that my Mom had them and so did my Grandfather...also several cousins have them or have in the past and this is all on my Mom's side of the family, yet I'm the only one of my Siblings who ever had a problem.

Sorry, that was a pretty long answer for a short question

Last edited by Graciecat; 05-17-2005 at 09:00 AM.

Old 05-17-2005, 09:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

That is really interesting. Well, it gives me hope, thanks!

Old 05-17-2005, 11:04 AM   #9
(female)

Jugi HB User

I don't know of any reason why you couldn't. I find that as Xanax is wearing off I get a bad headache, so I take a few ibuprofen with no adverse effect.

Old 05-17-2005, 05:06 PM   #10
(female)

sahaira HB User

I was given in the hospital an anti-inflammatory shot (for headache) and a shot of a benzo with no problem at all. If it was a big deal you would probably already know not to mix them. You can always go online and look up drug interaction checker. You can then put in what medicine you take and it will tell you if there is an interaction.

Closed Thread