It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
What does Lexapro make you feel like?

I think I need to ask my dr about getting on Lexapro or some other antidepressant because I am having to take Xanax regularly which is only a quick fix, and I know I need to do something more long-term and get off the Xanax habit. I've heard quite a few good things about lexapro, and lots of you say you feel "tons better" after taking it. I guess my question is what do you mean by better? Like does it make your anxiety pretty much vanish, or are you just improved as far as what you can do day to day? I took Zoloft at one time and it didn't help like the Xanax does. Do you get a feeling of well being with Lexapro like you do with Xanax or other benzos, or is it more subtle than that?

Also, does it have pretty bad sexual side effects? My sex drive is zero since I started anti-anxiety meds and I don't think i can take it anymore, so I thought about Wellbutrin too, but sounds like maybe Lexapro works better.

Old 05-19-2005, 01:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: What does Lexapro make you feel like?

xanax usually doesnt cause sexual problems but anxiety often does

lexapro when and if it works for you will help more than xanax can with your anxiety, take xanax with it for the first few weeks as it reduces the early side effects
with the lexapro working you will need much less xanax

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2005, 06:21 PM   #3
(female)

rucnateb HB User

it sucks,I got more anxiety,nausea and chest pains with it.had to stop taking it.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

I have been on Lexapro for two months now, and it has been a miracle drug for me. I started feeling better within just a few days of starting it. I am on 10mg and am taking it for depression and anxiety. With me, it just made me feel calm, very happy, and able to DEAL with things so much easier without getting all worked up about them like I used to. Things that used to nearly make me sick with anxiety, hardly bother me at all. I can get past them easily, and not keep focusing on them like I did before. I am having orgrasm problems though. That is the only side affect that I am still having. I hope and pray that goes away too, and am trying to find something to help with that. I hear that Wellbutrin has less side affects, but not a good drug for people with anxiety.

Old 05-19-2005, 09:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

MJ:
Cymbalta is a newer drug that has anti-anxiety properties too. No sexual side effects though. I would ask about this as well.

Good luck.
CancerDad

Old 05-20-2005, 05:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

It's been a God Send for me.
It's been a little over a month for me. I just started on ten mg yesterday.
For me I had to start slow and work my way up. The first week was not good but I rode it out and I am so thankful I did.
How does it make me feel? Motivated, I find more enjoyment in things, Don't panic and get anxious all the time, increased energy and no more mood swings, things I have always enjoyed are even more fun, I laugh more.
I said this in another post I feel like a better me!
I have tried other meds in the past and they never worked almost made me worse.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Very interesting, thanks for all your input. Sounds like for most people if you can get through the first "hump" it really starts working. Maybe I should start a new drug when I have a week off or something. I cannot handle being overly anxious at work, that's like opening a can of panic attack

Old 05-20-2005, 08:10 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjewell
Very interesting, thanks for all your input. Sounds like for most people if you can get through the first "hump" it really starts working. Maybe I should start a new drug when I have a week off or something. I cannot handle being overly anxious at work, that's like opening a can of panic attack
If you start out on a low dose and work your way up like Bell did, I think you would handle it just fine starting on it anytime. Maybe start it on a weekend.

Old 05-20-2005, 08:52 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

woodfaery HB User

Yes, I agree and start really low like a quarter of a 10mg tablet of the Lexapro for one week and then work your way up to half a tablet the second week and then the full 10mg the following week. Your body has to adjust.
WF

Old 05-22-2005, 01:17 PM   #10
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

That's SUCH a complex question. I've been on nothing but SSRI's for the last 20 years, plus Klonipin for anxiety. Lexapro is only the latest. So far it seems quite effective. I'm going through Paxil withdrawal, which is just as horrible as they say it is, but the Lexapro is improving my mood while I feel like I'm dying. Does that make any sense?

I'm also fighting anemia, anxiety and a serious sugar addiction. Withdrawal from mega-levels of sugar is probably affecting me too. I've never had any serious problems with SSRI's until Paxil withdrawal. There were annoying side effects with some, but they never made me feel really ILL.

All I can tell you is how you SHOULD feel: Normal. And unfortunately you have to experiment with psychiatric drugs because there aren't any surefire tests to determine what you need before you need it. That means when we change a med, it's like jumping from one cliff to the other, and hoping we don't fall. So stay in touch with your doctor - he/she should be very flexible and ready to see you/talk to you at a moment's notice when you're going thru this change. If he's not available, SOMEONE should be available to see you on short notice. My guess is that you should know soon if this is the right med, and if it isn't, you shouldn't have to "tough it out" until your next scheduled appointment.

Old 05-23-2005, 05:20 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

I can relate to that "Happy feeling" you mentioned. It seems foreign to be happy. Sad to say I forgot what that feeling felt like. I went to the Dr. for anxiety and didn't think I was depressed . I took a test and it showed "moderate" depression.
I notice things I always enjoy I really enjoy now. The biggest change is how I am around my kids and how they are responding to me. I don't fly off the handle anymore, laugh with them more and we are doing more fun stuff inside and outside the house
I wanted to quit taking it too! I had a terrible, terrible time the first week and a half and I was splitting 5mg a day!
Now I am so glad I stuck it out. I catch myself all day being happy and anxiety free and that is a great feeling!

Old 05-23-2005, 05:54 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell99
I can relate to that "Happy feeling" you mentioned. It seems foreign to be happy. Sad to say I forgot what that feeling felt like. I went to the Dr. for anxiety and didn't think I was depressed . I took a test and it showed "moderate" depression.
I notice things I always enjoy I really enjoy now. The biggest change is how I am around my kids and how they are responding to me. I don't fly off the handle anymore, laugh with them more and we are doing more fun stuff inside and outside the house
I wanted to quit taking it too! I had a terrible, terrible time the first week and a half and I was splitting 5mg a day!
Now I am so glad I stuck it out. I catch myself all day being happy and anxiety free and that is a great feeling!
Hi Bell

It's so good to hear that you are doing so well on the Lexapro now! I know you had such a hard time with it at first. It's great that it has helped you with you relationship with your children, especially since they will be out of school soon. I can tell you that my relationship with my husband is 100% better. I am so much more in love with him now, and we can laugh and have fun together now. I just feel totally different. I knew I was despressed, but I didn't realize how badly it had affected everything in my life. btw - you know my little problem - well with the help of the Ginko Biloba - I think I have that problem solved!!

xo Jackie

Old 05-23-2005, 06:10 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

So the Ginko worked???? I am having that problem now since I upped it to ten.

Old 05-23-2005, 06:16 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, are you really? You know my gynocologist promised me that it would not affect me that way - but I knew better! Yes, the Ginko has upped my sex drive and the sensitivity. I also bought some Vigel and that stuff really works great! It's a topical gel that you put on right before you have sex. I had read about the Ginko helping with all the SSRI related sexual problems, and I'm here to tell you that with continued use - it does help!

Old 05-23-2005, 07:21 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

It says right on their web. site about the sexual side effects?
So can you buy this topical stuff at the store? Is it over the counter?
Doesn't the ginko increase your energy too?
You were so right about that zing feeling not lasting. I miss having all that energy but other wise feel fantastic

Closed Thread